Ordered Hoya, got Tiffen- should I keep it?

harishon

The only Tiffen filter I use is their exclusive 812 filter, which I like more than the

typical 81B warming filter.

I had a Tiffen linear polarizer 20 years ago and was not impressed. I now use Hoya.

I don't know how good the tiffen circular is nowadays. Try it out with some slide film

and see how well it works. If you don't like it, see if you can get them to eat the

shipping cost and send you the filter you wanted.

David, it looks they sent me <a

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=56634&is=REG">this one</a>

<br>

I am not a pro, so it hard for me to tell what is contributed by filter and what is by my skill or lack thereof. Both filters in the same category-price, quality etc. But I've heardd that Hoya slightly better. That they are more nutral as far as color, mounts are slimmer and so on. My question is how much is "slightly better" is better. And should I stick to Tiffen or wait until they get another Hoya for similar price

Take a look and see what the value of the Tiffen filter is. If it's within or the same as the filter you ordered, I would just keep it. I myself have never found much of a difference between the two except for price and prestige. I own a 2004 DeVille and also a 1972 Ford . The Ford runs just as well as the DeVille does. Matter of fact, the Ford is used more than the DeVille. Get the point? I only have the DeVille for the looks and the ego. The Ford get the job done just as well.

When they first started importing Hoya filters into the U.S. the were a fraction of the price of highly rated Tiffen. As they gained acceptance, and probably also due to the change in the dollar/yen exchange rate, Hoya became more expensive. I doubt that you'll notice any difference in your photos with one brand over the other. Some old timers might even still think the Tiffen is the prestige brand.

Al, oldtimers ought to know better.

I got the following many years ago from Bob Salomon of HP Marketing, and my

follow-up found no error in it:

There are two common methods of making filters today. American filter

manufacturers (Tiffen and Harrison and Harrison) make their filters by gluing 2 pieces

of glass together with colored glue. This results in 4 glass surfaces. Virtually all of

their filters are uncoated and are in aluminum rims.

Most other major manufacturers, like Heliopan, B+W, & Hoya, use dyed in the mass

glass which are then ground and polished. This means that there are only 2 glass

surfaces and these filters are normally coated or multi-coated.

Heliopan and B+W use brass mounts and Hoya usually uses plastic mounts.

Filters can only affect the resolution of long lenses unless the filter is grossly

defective. The further from being absolutely flat the more likely a filter will affect

sharpness with long lenses. Normal, short teles and wide angles should not be

effected by a filter (except for possible mechanical problems like vignetting).

How filters will affect a resolution test will depend upon:

1: focal length of lens

2: optimization of lens (most lenses are not desigbed to photograph 2 dimensional

objects at close range

3: quality of filter

4: film used

5: lighting

6: processing

7: quality of loupe used to evaluate negative or slide, critical judgement can not be

made from prints as these will introduce other variables.

<i>how long should lenses be to be affected by filter? The longest I have right now is

Nikkor 28-105/f3.5-4.5 and I am planning to get 70-300 sometime in the future.

</i><p>

Just run a roll of slide film. Shoot some subjects with the filter, then the same without

and see if the sharpness or color fidelity seems impaired. If not, you're home free. If

you get another lens in the future and there seems to be a difference, get another

used filter. (But try Hoya, Heliopan or B+W.)

A few corrections to a previous post. Hoya uses aluminum (aluminium in Britain) for their mounts, not plastic. Laminated filters don't use colored glue, they use gelatin type filters laminated between the two glass plates. All polarizers are made by the lamination technique, so that's not an issue in this particular case.