Hi all,

I just got a 10D, together with batterygrip. I was wondering if

people have experience in using Power2000 BP-511 batteries for this

body? Canon provides 1100 mAh bateries, but the Power2000 batteries

are 1500 mAh. I can definatly use that extra power, but I want to

make sure they fit in the batterygrip and that this extra power does

not harm the camera.

thanks for the response

I am not familiar with that model battery, but I can say that any battery with that style # (BP511) will fit and work with your 10D. 1600 mAh is a good thing, more capacity. I use batteries made for camcorders, namely Lenmar LIC511, at 1250mAh. The battery should be 7.4V.

The Power 2000, that's the VidPro branded battery I believe. I've had good luck with one of these batteries in my Pro 90 IS. The amount of maH will have no effect on the camera except for how long the battery lasts.

You could go to VidProusa.com and ask them, or ask your supplier. I believe the battery grip is less of an issue with battery fit than the camera itself.

I tested the Canon BP511, Power2000 and E-forcity(Ebay) batteries. (I have and use all of these in a 10D).

My test was to charge them fully and discharge them into a 6 ohm resistor while plotting the discharge voltage using an A-D convertor tied to my computer and WinDaq software to plot the discharge curves. All 3 batteries had the same capacity within +-5%. Several trials were attempted and all repeated the same result. Given the price ratio of 8:1 for the batteries guess which ones I will purchase in the future?

I recently won the bid on a 1250mAH battery on E*ay. Even with the shipping, it cost me less than $20. This is my second battery from this seller. I lost the first one--probably at the same place where I lost my 512mb compact flash card. Grrrr.... Anyway, I've had no problems with the battery and wouldn't hesitate to buy the same model again.

I got the tip on this forum to try Walmart (!) They have a compatible battery labeled 1200 mhAh. Hey - no shipping and a good return policy. Mine works fine. It was a trifle "sticky" slipping in and out of the camera - a few scrapes with a swiss army knife and it works like a canon. Easier and safer than Ebay. btw I have not done the diciplined discharge test mentioned earler in this thread, but I have not noticed a difference between the Canon $50 battery and the Walmart $25.