24(8) to 70(80) Zoom Lens for Canon EOS????????

evan_bishop

Man ... talk about a baffelling array of choices. I'm almost to the point where I'll buy

the 24-70mm 2.8L just to not think about it anymore. But if I do that, I'm afraid my

wife will leave me! So, here's the situation. I'm looking to upgrade my current mid-

range zoom lens. I currently have the Canon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 USM. I'm fairly

happy with the image quality, but I can definately see a difference from my 85mm

1.8, and i would prefer having a faster lens. The problem I'm having is the sheer

number of lenses available from which to choose. I'm hoping that someone can

recommend one (other than the L option). The ones I'm currently considering are as

follows:

1. Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 77mm thread ~ $300.00

2. Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 67mm thread ~$350.00

3. Tokina 28-80mm f/2.8 77mm thread ~$600.00

4. Tokina 28-70mm f2.4-2.8 77mm thread (used) ~$300.00

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning more towards a 77mm

thread as that will work w/ my 20-35mm, and my 300mm f4 filters. I currently only

have the UV filter for my 24-85mm lens.

Thanks in advance!

Evan

I was faced with a similar dilemma and opted for the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 EX DF, but the two Tokinas are supposed to be excellent also for the price, and I very nearly got the Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 SV, a derivative of the used one you're considering, but which has some polycarbonate instead of metal in the barrel construction to reduce its weight/cost.

The older Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8 and the newer 28-80 f/2.8 Pro are both metal-bodied, whereas the Sigma is essentially speckly-finish polycarbonate but very well made - though I'd say better than Canon consumer zooms I have used in the past (20-35, 28-105, 100-300). I went for the Sigma in the end because of excellent reviews in the UK photo Press and the fact that it comes with a hefty padded lens pouch and lens hood (though the Tokinas come with a hood as well, I believe, when bought new). I also hold Sigma in high regard as their UK aftersales service is really excellent - can't speak for Sigma USA etc

You'll find it hard to match the quality of the 85 f/1.8 with a standard zoom though, even stopped-down to f/5.6-8. The 85U is one of Canon's best consumer lenses.

The only solution really is for you to visit the shop and handle them yourself, as silly factors like lens cosmetics may swing you one way or the other (it does many, even if they don't admit it!), as well as important factors like balance and handling.

<p>In fear of my wife leaving me too, I settled on 85/1.8 + 200/2.8 (will be getting them in a few days) instead of the 70-200 IS which I originally opt for.</p>

<p>Forgive me for complicating things even more: None of the above. Just add 50/1.4. You already have a rather good general purpose lens (24-85), wide end nicely covered (20-35 + 24) and also a short (85) and long (300) tele lenses. </p>

<p>I suspect that anything short of the 24-70L will not be a marked improvement in image quality. From what I hear, the 50/1.4 is an excellent lens. I had the 50/1.8 and was very satisfied with it. The 50/1.4 is suppose to be even better. See <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/</a>.</p>

<p>Happy shooting ,<br>

Yakim.</p>

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess i should have been more clear. I do have a

50mm 1.8, and will probably be upgrading that to the 50mm 1.4, however, that

doesn't solve my problem. I will be using this lens (24-70ish zoom) primarily for

event photography. I've found it incredibly cumbersome to shoot events with prime

lenses. I have shot entire events with just a 50mm - i'm not saying it can't be done.

However sometimes you need a wider lens, or a longer lens, and i just don't find it

practical to carry three bodies on me with separate prime lenses on each. (not to

mention i tend to have a second body with black and white film also).

You indicated a desire for faster lens... although not any larger max aperture, you might want to consider the 28-135mm Image-stabilized lens. It would allow you to handhold a shot at a 70mm focal length down to about 1/20th of a second. Unless you're looking to freeze action in low light environments, this might give you what you need.

And you obviously would the the 135mm range.

No zoom is going to really match your 85mm prime, but I have read other posts that indicate a preference for the 28-135 quality over the 24-85.