300D

s._fisher

Isn't technology fun?

Many will consider the 10D, now 5 months old, to be obsolete.

Others will be disappointed that the new dSLR is "apparently" inferior to the 10D.

For me: I have learned enough about the 10D's features to value what the 10D has that the newbie does not. Of course, the new camera is MUCH more affordable, and I would be hard pressed to balance the features diffeerences against the cost difference.

I eagerly await the next EOS dSLR, although frankly I do not plan to actually replace my DSLR for several years.

What about the crop factor? that said the EF/S lens will be available with this camera only, so the EF lens would need an adapter.And please don't tell me it would be a full frame DSLR with the EF lens.Thanks for the info GUYS!!!!

Ike

AND it take EF lenses too, the reason they introduced the EFS mount?

Just to stop all the potential 10d buyers picking up a cheap lens.

They designed it because they could (the mirror being smaller)

Haven't you noticed the second hand price hike in the 22-35 that was designed for the APS EOS.

I suppose I still need the 10d but I might take a look.

I'm amused by all the outcries of shock and dismay over this new camera ("EOS Digital Rebel" on Canon's US website, www.canoneos.com). Some of these are the same voices that have lamented the 10D's shortcomings compared to the 1Ds'. I can't believe all the anguish over the heavy overlap of the 300D's feature set with the 10D's, at 60% of the price ($899 vs $1499, body only). We all knew this was going to happen!

I think the only way the outcry would have been greater was if the 300D was released BEFORE the 10D! ("If only I'd known the 10D was coming out so soon, I would have waited! I would have GLADLY paid two-thirds more for the 10D's extra features!!)

We won't be happy until all the features and functions of the 1Ds (and more) are available at a selling price equal to (or less than) the forthcoming 300D/Digital Rebel. And that day is coming!

As for me, I bought a 10D in May, and have never (3 long months) regretted my decision. If the 300D had been available at that time, I'd have still chosen the 10D.

Jon;

Realistically, if I was running Canon, I would have done it *exactly* this way. Release the good model early, that way all of the 300D buyers with extra money will buy a more expensive model earlier.

If the 300D was released first, alot of 10D buyers would have gotten that camera first and would have been content.

Also, I don't think a $600 price difference is probably justified in *today's* terms. Consider if the Rebel TI and ELAN 7 were $300 apart. How many of today's Elan 7 buyers would spring for the extra cash for the Elan? If I was using my crystal ball, I would predict that either the 10D will come down in price (maybe to $1200) or be replaced by an equivelent model at a lower price.

With a $600 price difference, I would probably invest in better glass than a fancier body.

For now, I am content. I *like* my 10D. And I am very comfortable with the fact that I paid a price premium to get the camera 6 months ago.

Your milage may vary.

OK, the real dilemma now is that since I bought my 10D three months ago I haven't shot a single roll of film in my EOS 3. BUT of course I need to keep my EOS 3 (and the 630 and the RT) as back-up since I cannot rely on only one camera body can I. But with the prospect of a cheaper back-up digital body do I now bow to the inevitable and sell off all my film bodies?

<p>

Of course I'll probably try to find the cash for the 300D (as back-up etc.) but mysteriously find a reason to keep my film bodies as well.

Hi, Jim:

If I was running Canon, I would have done it exactly this way, too!

And I agree that if the 300D was released first, a lot of 10D buyers would have purchased it and been content with it. I posted because I'm amused by the "Noisy Minority" who complain, regardless!

And, sooner or later, Canon most certainly will reduce the 10D's price, release a lower-priced equivalent model, or both. BUT, I don't think the $600 price gap is that out of line, due to simple economies of scale. The price/feature ratio usually rises dramatically towards the higher end of any product line.

Consider a price/feature comparison between the 300D, the 10D and the 1Ds. Maybe the 10D isn't "66% better" than the 300D, but is the 1Ds "533% better" than the 10D? (I wasn't "around" at the time: was the 1Ds released before the 10D? If so, did the 1Ds owners howl at the 10D's $1,500 price? How many of them would have rather waited for the 10D and saved themselves $6,500?)

Despite the $600 price difference, I still would have purchased the 10D ... I think it's a better match to the L-series lenses I've invested in. Sure, I'll probably own the lenses long after I've upgraded from the 10D, but I also think it's important to have a body that can make good use of all that glass. (Maybe I'm just fortunate to have sufficient disposable income.)

My viewpoint isn't that I paid a price premium to get the 10D (3 months ago in my case); in my opinion, I SAVED $1500 and got a much better camera than its predecessors, by purchasing a compact "prosumer" digicam to use while waiting for a DSLR that achieved my price/feature requirements.

Ultimately, it's a personal decision, as you noted. When the 10D arrived, I knew it was the camera for me. It still is, despite the announcement of the 300D. But the free entertainment value of this forum is guaranteed to continue. I can't wait until the 300D is released, and the folks that buy it start ranting here about the 300D's "focussing problem"!

Looks like the EF-S lenses are meant to appeal to beginners or rich people buying the camera for kicks. We have already seen Canon move to a larger sensor, in fact they use 3 sizes. Perhaps they may keep the smaller sensor for a while for consumers and will release a few EF-S lenses until larger sensors are more economical.

Or they're pulling a nikon.

I agree that I would've wanted to see the IR remote capability on the 10D... I find the wired remote too expensive, and I already have the IR remote on my EOS 50/Elan II.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the 10D. I'd take it's alloy body and deeper burst capability and custom funtions over the 300D. And that home focus point button is a godsend! :)

"putting a 35mm sensor into the EOS 300D would, in most cases, give no advantage to our customers." Quoted from the Head of Canon Marketing department!!! What is this guy smoking, a full frame digital slr (under 7k) is what we've all been waiting for!

http://dp-now.com/archives/000259.html

Im curious to find out if the E-ttl preflash can be disabled, guess we'll have to wait and see.

e!

I've been waiting for a little lower priced consumer version to come out of the 10D.

My wife uses a Rebel Ti to do some amateur photography and has been looking for

something affordable to use that will transfer her lenses. It's nice to see that Canon

is doing something a little cheaper for those (like my wife) who don't need to spend

the extra $600.

by the way, if you are serious about ordering it, here's a place i found that will put

you on the preOrder list. They are a great pro shop, and for me the cool place to buy

photographic stuff! I buy all my supplies from them.

http://www.pictureline.com/digital/dcameras/dcanon/drebel.html

I surprised that no one has asked this yet:

Just EXACTLY what are the features that the 10D has that the 300D won't have, that makes the 10D a still worthy purchase once the 300D hits the stores?? The stronger material for the body alone probably isn't a good enough reason to still pay for the 10D if all the other features are so similar?

Read my review, it's linked from the <a href="/"> home page.</a>

<p>

The 10D has a larger buffer (9 shots vs. 4), It has mirror lockup, uses the same accessories as the D30/D60/10D/1D/1Ds (the 300D is different), it has 17 custom functions (the 300D has none), it has both top and rear control dials (the 300D has no rear control dial), the 10D goes to ISO 3200, the 300D goes to ISO 1600. The 10D has a PC socket for flash, the 300D doesn't. The 10D can control which size and quality JPEG is saved with RAW files, the 300D save only medium res JPEGs along with RAW. The 10D can turn off auto control of fill flash, the 300D can't....and so on. Lots of little things serious amateurs and pros use all the time.

<p>

However the 300D will be all that most basic amateurs will need. It has a decent set of controls and features and the same sensor as the 10D.

<P>

It's pretty much like comparing a film based Rebel with something like a cross between an Elan 7 and an EOS-3. They both use the same film and can give the same image quality, but one has a lot more features than the other.