300D

s._fisher

No need to speculate, it tells you, S = 'short back focus'. Other things may be true too ...! Presumably coverage is limited to what is required for the 1.6-factor sensor, and to judge from the description it will be mechanically incompatible with other Canon cameras, even other 1.6-factor digitals, whose mirror would hit the lens. Maybe you could fit it on your -1nRS, if you do not mind a circular image! I wonder if they have incorporated a bit of keying in the mount which would actually stop it being fitted inappropriately. If not, how long do you give it before the first posting on this forum to complain about a damaged mirror?

This is not the first time in recorded history that Canon have made camera-specific lenses. There was an FL-P 38/2.8 non-retrofocus design for the Pellix. Of course it had full-frame coverage, but could not be used on cameras with a normal mirror.

I would be surprised if the EF-S lens wins many friends among more demanding photographers, but if they get the pricing right it should sell like hot cakes with the camera. And the camera itself could be a winner.

<P> English translation from official website: This EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 USM is the EOS Kiss digital private lens. You cannot install in the EOS series other than that. In addition, is only set sale of the EOS Kiss digital substance. <a href="xxxx">Here</a> is the full text.</P>

<P> :-((( </P>

<P> Happy shooting , <br>

Yakim. </P>

That having just bought a 10D, I'm surprised the 300D's feature set is as complete as it is. Am I to assume it uses the same sensor as the 10D? Knowing this, and bearing in mind the price differential, it might be more sensible to buy a 300D and a 16-35/2.8L than a 10D and a 17-40/4L (the latter being my own personal choice).

That said, I continue to relish my own 10D, and having just received the 17-40/4L lens yesterday, I'm itching to get out and shoot, shoot, shoot.

John

Has anyone got any further details on the mirror arrangement used here - it's not a pellicle mirror (which would make some sense, as it would allow for the use of the lcd as viewfinder, which seems to be the way that most consumer digicam users expect a digicam to work these days).

John

Its a good short term solution though for the 1.6 crop - although the lenses on the D300 website look very much like the cheap 28-105 f4-5.6 - we'll have to wait and see....

I don't see this new EF-S lens format as a threat to the standard EF. The number of Film EOS and prof/prosumer digital EOS users will still massively outway any new EOS300D users.

As full frame digital SLRs become cheaper (and hence don't need these shorter focal lengths due to no 1.6x crop), its the EF lens which people will still want, not the EF-S.

We just have to hope that canon don't spend all their R&D cash on expanding the new series of lenses and not cheaper full frame CMOS chips !!!

Yacht on Canon EOS 300D website

Asthetics 3

Originality 3

Comment : Perhaps rotate so horizon is level and re-crop. Also, placing the yacht on the 1/3rd of the picture would make it more asthetically pleasing. Who on earth chose that photo ???? Do canon's Marketing team know anything about photography ??? Ha Ha<div>005nDG-14130584.jpg.f04de94ea0b921204b574a4876dbd5f8.jpg</div>

The 300D looks interesting. But, I'm still glad I got the 10D.

One thing that ticks me off though is the built-in wireless remote capability of my Elan IIe (and I believe on the 7e) is absent from the 10D but back on the 300D using the same cheap RC-1 remote!

Well the super wide would have been nice on my 10d, but a 100~400F4 L with IS, that's interesting, if it's an upgrade over the current 100~400 I will game for it.

I wonder what the 300D body is made from, looks like polycarbonate of some type. For $1000MSRP it will kill the all the other prosumer camera out there by Nikon, Minolta, and Sony. Will they be able to keep up with the demand?

GS

the 300D <u>can</u> mount all EF and EF-s lenses.<p>Gerry, according to the <a href="http://213.247.48.188/ProdSpecs_EOS300D.asp">specifications</a>, the body is made of "plastic". Btw the Ef 100-400mm they show on the website is the current EF 100-40mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. And the EF-S 18-55m f/3.5-5.6 will be sold with the camera only, i.e. it will not be available by itself. MSRPs in Europe are � 1000 for the 300D body and � 1100 for the 300D + EF-S 18-55mm.<p>The Rebel Digital, as it will be called on the North American market, has neither a rear control dial nor custom functions. In continuous mode, the 300D takes up to 4 pictures at 2.5 fps. Bloody great.<p>As it's been asked: the 300D has an ordinary mirror that swings out of the way. What makes the short back focus possible, is that the mirror is smaller than the one you find in a 35mm SLR. The difference isn't great--the EF-S's rear cap seems to be the ordinary one, i.e. there can't be much behind the flange.<p>I really don't know whether that camera will kill the "prosumer" digicams. If you just went by numbers, the Sony DSC-F828 beats the 300D: 8 Mp, 28-200mm,... for the serious users: it has a magnesium body and is <i>darn</i> fast. With 8 Mp and 28-200mm/35-280mm, the Minolta Dimage A-2 and the Nikon Coolpix 8700 will appear great to unsuspecting newbies, too.

Actually the lens may be quite usable.The 28-90 tested recently by bob atkins clearly equals the better zooms at the wide end(do not ask about the long end though....)

<br>The much critisized new 28-105 f4-5.6 cheapie is actually sharper in the middle of the image than the much praised 28-105II f3.5-5.6.

<br>These lenses are often usefull at some point in their range.

<br>Recently i've been doing a fair bit of lens testing to decide which x-200/300 cheap zoom to keep.The humble,tiny 80-200 easily beats the 75-300 for sharpness and contrast!!!But it does have a weird green(?)..blue(?) colour cast i haven't worked out yet.<p>It would be great if the 18-55 lens works best at the wide end...where it is most usefull!At the long end we can throw it in the bag and use the great 50/1.8