Sony F-717 vs. Nikon Coolpix 5400 vs. Canon G5

vic_.

Hi, I would like to get a mid-priced ($600 to $800) digital camera

that is able to function in full manual mode, just as a film camera.

While auto everything is nice to have, manual capability gives me

more joy to use. I like and use SLR's and rangefinder cameras, but

don't want to spend the money for a DSLR just yet.

I've read reviews on this website, as well as at DPreview.com and

Steve's Digicams, and looked elsewhere, and came up with three

cameras that are reasonably priced, the Sony F-717, Nikon Coolpix

5400, and Canon G5, that are all selling for the same price at B&H

(www.bhphoto.com), US$700. I wasn't able to get enough information

on their manual capability on the websites, which is why I'm asking

my question here. Which one is capable of the most manual control of

the focus, aperture and exposure speed, and with the least lag? i.e,

which one functions the most as a manual film camera, such as a Nikon

F2. Thanks in advance.

0. All three provide full manual exposure control, but will have painfully slow AF/shutter lag. (Shutter lag after focusing or in manual focus mode is quite short, though.) Manual focus is probably easier with the F717, since it actually has a focus ring, but MF is quite painful on the F717.

1. Optical viewfinders on consumer cameras are almost always a disaster: 85% coverage (useless for careful composition) and no exposure info readout. That's why you see people with consumer digital cameras at arms length all the time. (The F707 EVF is 100% coverage and works with glasses.)

2. The F717 uses a larger sensor for lower noise. (The G3 gets better reviews than the G5 if you insist on a Canon.)

3. The F717 lens is faster than the Nikon, and the longer throw zoom is nice.

4. If you want a camera company camera, the Minolta A1 trades a slower lens than the Sony for image stabilization that according to some reports works very well. The longer throw of the zoom than even the F717 is nice, too.

5. If you can scrounge a bit more money together, the Canon 300D is in a completely different class in terms of image quality for only a tad more money. The 300D will also be worlds better than the others in terms of AF speed and accuracy and shutter lag.

My camera experience dates back to the 70s so when I see this kind of question about manual control of cameras I think I have a pretty good idea of what you mean. I also own and use both dSLRs and digital P&S style cameras. In a nutshell digital P&S cameras don't work the way you want them to work. Shutter lag is bad that is a feature of this style of camera. MF is a joke, again a feature of P&S type cameras. Yes you can independantly control aperture and shutter speed but it is not like a manual SLR. And given the small format of the sensors aperture control is not that useful anyway.

Given all of this I STRONGLY recommend that you follow the previous posters advice and look at the 300D from Canon. It will come FAR closer to working the way you want than any p&s style camera.

While I have no direct experience with either of these, aside from playing with them in

the store...

The Sony has an actual ring on the lens that can be used for focussing and zooming.

I mention this because I keep trying to make the exact same comparison, Canon g3/

g5 vs. sony f717, and I like manual focussing and zooming.

Jeremy, If you read the equipment reviews on this site you will find that the Canon G5 has some color issues that require post-production work, while the Sony F-717 does not have that problem. A dilemma, to have a light P&S digital that functions like a manual camera.

Vic out of the three go with the Sony. It is the best over all. i have had it for about 8 months and it is great i started with the F707 about two years ago so i know all about them. I know have the Fuji S2 for my main camera but still carry the sony for a back up and leave the film behind. The only down fall to the sony is the cost of memory sticks is a little higer then compact flash, but if you spend about $300 dollars more you can get the new Sony F828 and it looks like it will be even better and it will use compact flash. The picture quialty of the sony is great you can get 8x10 very close to film and up to 16x20 still look great. you can use full manual and the lens is very fast and very little lag on shutter. this is by far the best for focus speed of the three and will focus in pitch dark with the built in AF beam. if you have any more questions fell free to email me.

I like the Canons better than the Nikons; I have no experience with Sony. But as it's already been pointed out, no digital P&S is similar to a film (or digital) SLR. Some of the main issues are: <b>much</b> slower autofocus and shutter lag, <b>lots</b> of DoF even wide open, smaller range of apertures, noise in all but the lowest ISO settings, noise in very long exposures.

<P>

Don't get me wrong, digital P&S are very useful tools which can produce excellent pictures under most circumstances. They're just different than SLRs. Due to their smaller lenses, they're great for macro photography (minimal focusing distance is as small as 1cm, and because of the huge DoF you can use relatively wide apertures), they're silent and small, which is good for candid and street photography. Some of them have swiveling LCD screens which allow you to compose a shot at ground level or over a crowd.

<P>

But if you insist in having a camera which feels like a film one, then my suggestion is to wait. Since you have a lot of Nikon glass, either wait for the Nikon response to the Digital Rebel, or save for the D100. Remember though that because of the crop factor your wide angle lenses won't be as wide in a DSLR body.

<P>

Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you decide. Pablo.

Thanks again to all. I like Blake's suggestion and will investigate the Sony camera, something that my wife could use as well. She's from the P&S all-auto tribe. I test drove the Nikon D-100 and she thought it was too heavy and too big.

I would back up your previous advice that the Sony is probably the pick of those cameras, as long as you don't mind its weird shape and weight. I went over all the comparison sites I could find when choosing a camera, and the Sony had the edge in lens quality and lack of noise, and has some very useful stuff like nightframing where it can use AF in darkness, good for outdoor parties, etc...

Possible issues - it has no RAW mode, and uses Memory Sticks, which might be a problem to some folk. A wider zoom would be nice (it's 38mm) but not if that meant a less sharp lens! Lastly, although it's AF is probably as good or better than anything in it's class, it is still a bit slow - although pre-focussing works fine. Its f2 lens means depth of field is useful, but it is true that a DSLR will be better in that area, and with the shutter lag.

Go and browse through your choices at www.dpreview.com - they seem to have the best and fairest tests. Although I'm not sure if they have shutter lag times...

I just got an F717. Handling is different than the other models you listed. You

really must go fondle each camera to get an idea. I like the way the Sony handles,

very intuitive and easy to use. In a strange way the handling can be reminiscent of

the old medium format cameras when you tilt the body to be almost parallel with

the ground (i.e., you are looking down not out).

-dan

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a chance to handle all three of these cameras.

First, Sony does have the 'focusing ring'- but it's focus by wire. If I recall correctly,

you move the ring clockwise, and the focus goes in one direction; move it counter

clockwise, and you focus the other way. It seems they've replaced a couple buttons

for focussing by wire with the 'focusing' ring. Maybe it's still better ergonomically.

But I don't believe it's mechanically coupled to the lens, if that's what you're looking

for.

Unfortunately, I found the form factor of the Sony to be rather strange- as if I took a

pipe and stuck a fitting or joint on it, and let it swivel around. The lens barrel is

heavier than the 'body' and so I find it a bit unwieldly- but probably could get used to

it. I see the advantage of having a waist level finder, to be sure, but I would hardly

compare it to a good old fashioned med. format camera.

Of them all, the Coolpix 5400 seemed the MOST sturdy (shoot- maybe it was the

5000- doesn't matter- I think they have the same build. The body is made of this

grippable super hard plastic... or is it metal??