Increased flare/whiteout after CLA possible?

patricks

I recently got my M6TTL back from Leica NJ after an RF alignment and

a complete CLA. I am not 100% sure, but it really seems like I

experience a lot more patch white outs and have a harder time to

focus on the vertical/holding the camera on the side.

I've been using it mainly with a CV 35/1.7 - can that have something

to do with it? (I don't see how)

Cheers,

After I cleaned my Canonet's RF the other day I had the impression that it flared more.

Then I realized that the "problem" was that I could actually see through the danged thing again. So, of course, I was also seeing some flare that had previously been disguised by the thick murk.

1) the lens mounted has zero influence.

2) Sure, a CLA could influence 'flare' adversely. Along Lex's lines - if Leica cleaned away grunge on either the (ridged) frame-line illumination window or the curved condenser mirror behind it, that would brighten the framelines (and also the flare, since it's produced by the same light that makes the framelines). Or the condenser mirror could have been shifted a bit, so that it's focusing light a bit more directly into the rangefinder optics.

Sort of reminds me of what a pleasure my first Toyota was in 1979, after finally getting free of the abusive sadomasochistic relationship with American automobiles that had endured purely on patriotism. A pleasure that is, until the first time the doobie-toking world-owes-me-a-living mechanics at the dealership got their care-less filthy paws on it, after which it was as much as piece of sh*t as the Oldsmobile I'd traded in. I say "sort of reminds me" because in all fairness I can't say I've ever had a new Leica that was as initially perfect as that '79 Corolla.

hm. this was a less than 2 yrs old M6TTL that had seen very little use and was overall in very, very good shape with a nice and bright viewfinder, accept for the alignment.

it seems to me that the focusing patch white out happens A LOT MORE and under different circumstances.

I guess it is time to call Leica NJ again...

Your camera was fixed before Leica reversed their parts-sales embargo, so *what if* the plan was to force people to have to get their M6's serviced at NJ, whereupon they would adjust all the rangefinders to flare intolerably, and then tell people to go trade them on MP's? Holy cow Patrick, maybe you've uncovered the conspiracy of the century ;>)

or i could pay $250 to Leica and get the new non-flare viewfinder installed. And not the see body for 9 weeks on it's trip to Germany.

Regardless, I've experienced more with-outs in the last couple of rolls that I've seen in yrs before that. So much for having a CLA from NJ...

<<or i could pay $250 to Leica and get the new non-flare viewfinder installed>>

Wait, are you talking about the non-flare viewfinder in the early M7 or the non-flare viewfinder in the less-than-a-year-later M7 and MP? If it's the coated M7 windows they want $250 for they're nuts, but if I can get a new-M7 finder in my old-M7 for $250 I'll gladly wait 9 weeks for it. I'm sure otherwise I'll take at least a $500 hit on resale.

AaaHHhhhaa... now I know why Jay has been trying to convince everyone these past

few months that the 'flare issue' is all in how you position your eye on the finder ("its

not the camera", and, "never experienced it"), you are planning to sell your precious

M7s - maybe for a secretly desired MP!? :-) I'll buy that useless old M7 of yours for

$500!

come to think of it - a new and improved viewfinder, most likely with a more cost effective production method/model which is cheaper, then standardise it on both exisiting models - MP and M7 - and then convince old M users to upgrade their current viewfinders, which they don't admit is anything wrong with. perhaps Leica will turn a profit after all...

Obviously I can't speak for Leica Solms, just share my experience: When my M6TTL needed some service a few months ago, I was told by the shop that it would take 4-6 weeks, but then I got it back from Solms in less than 2 weeks. And it's in very good shape, with a clean VF, very accurate shutter speeds etc., and I'm also one of the more lucky persons who have to make an effort to make the RF patch flare [on an 0.72 M6TTL body].