nikon gear recommendations

pointer

Hi

I have a basic camera (Nikon f65) and basic grasp of photography.

I'm looking for advice on a decent flash and a few lenses that will be

useful while travelling.

my subjects are usually snakes/reptiles, people (action shots - rock

climbing and animal handling) and scenic photography. I'm frustrated

by my current lense (AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-80mm, F/3.5-5.6D) My budget is

midrange.

On lenses I have no idea, but for a flash I was looking at the Nikon

SB-28 with the SC-17 cord.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you might have on any of this.

cheers

I would suggest a the following:

Wide - Mid Range:

Nikon 24 f2.8 ~290

Nikon 50 f1.8 ~$90

Nikon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 AFS ~ $350

Nikon 24-120 f3.5-5.6 ADS VR ~ $550

Mid - Long Range:

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 ~$800

Good mid-priced quality lens aren't cheap, but neither is photography as a hobby. I would get one or two of the lens from above.

A good way to start is with a basic double up scheme of primes. 24mm, 50mm, 105mm, and the 180mm. With your interests I would start with the 105 and you may want to consider getting the micro. Next would be a 50mm, then the 24mm and last would be the 180.

Another option would be the 80-200 f2.8 zoom combined with the 50mm and the 24mm. You would not have the close focus capability of the 105 micro but it is a superb lens and the cost is about the same as the 180. If you decide to go this route, get the zoom first and combine it with your present lens. Then you can add the primes as your budget allows.

Get at least one fast lens before you get the flash. Some situations need a flash, but it sounds like a fast lens might suit your needs. The 50mm is cheap and fast. Get it and see if it quells your desire for a flash. For those subjects, an older flash is fine as well. I have an SB-22 that works great with the N65. Use your zoom to decide which focal lengths are a priority from there. If you're always at the 80mm end, consider a 105mm or so. If the 28mm is your cup of tea, consider a prime 24mm or 28mm.

If you want f/2.8 and the flexibility of a zoom, try the 28-70mm f/2.8 (expensive).

I don't have one, but I have heard good things about the 28-105 AF. I went with primes and they make for a compact package as well. I have, and suggest as other have to get the 24/2.8, the 50/1.8 (I have the 1.4) and the 85/1.8. Good and fast lenses with little need for flash, except for fill flash outside.

I know these cover your current range (the 24 stretches it a bit) but these are some of the best in Nikon's AF line.

If you do get a flash, get the SC-17. You'll be amazed at what you can do with off-camera flash.

Happy shooting.

You haven't mentioned why you're frustrated with your 28-80. Is it not wide enough for your scenics? Or is it not long enough for your reptile shots? Or is it too slow (f/3.5-F5.6)?

I had the AF28-105 before but sold it lately to go for primes, which IMO, have better image quality and are faster. Although I would not hesitate to say that the image quality of the 28-105 is good but primes would be better.

If you need wide-angles, try the 24/2.8. I just bought one and thought it was great. I also just got the AF 85/1.8 and the results were just fantastic, sharp and very good for handheld.

Instead of spending on the SB-28, which you'd probably not use very often, I'd suggest you get a cheaper flash and use the savings for the lenses to go with your camera.

My suggestions: AF 24/2.8, AF 85/1.8 and AF 50/1.8 (cheap).

I assume you shoot color negtive films. If so, the lab you use to develop the film making prints is more important than the lens you use. Even 1-hour labs give pretty different results from lab to lab. You may want to find one or two good labs before you jump into the lens-collector club. Good luck.

I've taken some snakes/reptiles shots that I've been very pleased with using a Tamron Macro 90mm 2.8 lens that I bought used in excellent condition for $300. (Click on my name and look at the color portfolio for examples.)

You can also use the Tamron 90mm for people. The Nikon equivalent is

the 105 Micro, which is a few hundred more.

I wouldn't get a flash yet. As someone said, the 50mm 1.8 is an excellent investment for $100 and can be used for wider shots than the 90mm.

You might consider a 70-300ED w/ a 5T or 6T diopter. It will give you reach and closeup capability (and a little distance in case you're shooting venomous reptiles), it is light, and you can buy one used for around $200 (lens) and $40 (diopter). The image quality is very nice for that price. I use this combo for backpacking where weight and/or space are issues. It matches very nicely with the 28-105 in this senario. Additionally, from a monetary standpoint, if your gear falls off a cliff or you drop your pack in a river, it won't make you wanna off yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks heaps for these suggestions. Very helpful. I get the understanding that a better lense set up and a cheaper flash is a good start. the 28-80 that I have that came standard just doesn't let in enough light and the fill flash of course doesn't stand up to the variable conditions of room and night shots.

I've been browsing the shops and they are currently trying to sell me the 20mm wide lense, whereas everyone here has started off with the 24.

The set up that I've been advised on is 20mm (1.4) 50mm (1.4) and 105mm

Any thoughts on this?

thanks heaps

alexia