Info: Useful Fall Foliage Link

nathan_cohen

There are several web based reports on Fall foliage, but I've found

this one the best.(Didn't find it in the Q&A archive). It just came

up for this season (today).

We're about 4 weeks away from anything nice in the NE, but I have

found the updates and the archives on the site extremely helpful in

planning trips. (I am a user of the site and not affiliated.)

Thought I would share. If you have any 'leaf peeping' questions in

New England I will try to answer, and maybe we'll get a few other old

salts in there too.

link:

http://www.foliagenetwork.com

I found the site useful last year as well.

Sadly, it doesn't give you any sort of information about how colorful a year is compared to other years, just information about how the colors are progressing within the season. Last year was quite disappointing, with many trees going from green to brown. I'm told this was due to a lack of water during the summer, and hopefully this year will be better, as it has rained more.

I was in New England a couple of years ago and checked this sites data for that year and seems to me they were way off. I was there almost 2 weeks before they listed it as peak and it was very much peaked at the time I was there. I have reservations about info that others give out as not being too timely, been told wrong too many times. Do lots of research and not just check on one source.

Over the years, a lot of forum contributors have provided foliage updates right here in the Nature Forum. When I lived in the North East, I visited Vermont almost every October for close to 10 times over the years and participated in many of those discussions. Last year I think we had a long discussion on Colorado foliage. I hope that "tradition" can continue this year. Foliage forecast still cannot beat first-hand information.

Hi Ken,

I found it about 2-3 days behind in 2001 and 2000, for WMNF in NH. Last year there was a huge gradient of color for opposing sides of the 'Kanc', and the Conway side was a full week before the Lincoln side. Usually they are a couple of days apart.

Here's a few helpful--but rough-- rules of thumb for some regions, in terms of peak times from my experience:

Swift River; Rocky Gorge; Conway area: 28 Sept-7 October

Franconia; Lincoln; Crawford Notch: 4-14 October

Woodstock VT/Quechee: 29 Sept-6 Oct

Mohawk Trail (MA): 15-22 October

Newport (RI): 22 Oct-30 Oct

Cheers.