Tripod Question

brenda_mcdonald

Doing a quick search in the archives will give you a lot of information.

As a quick summary, it depends upon what kind of photography you're interested in doing. A ball head is ideal for wildlife/action-type photography, and a pan head is ideal for architectural/landscape-type photography. If you do both (as I do), I would recommend going with a ball head which allows greater flexibility. I highly recommend the Acratech ball head (which I have), but that's around $300.

What you need to do is your own research (including taking your equipment around to stores and trying different heads out). Each photographer has different needs and preferences. You just need to figure out what your own are, and then you can make a more informed decision about what head is best for you. Photography equipment is an investment, and you may regret it if you skimp. Many people go through numerous ball heads (Velbon to Slik to Bogen and finally to Acratech/Kirk/Arca-Swiss), thereby wasting money. But that may just be my opinion...

I do lots of panorama and am happy with my Manfrotto 3410 3-way head(now discontinued). The one which replaces it is the 329RC4, "a new professional compact low profile head (replaces the 3410 Low Profile Head) just over 5" high and suitable for cameras up to large format."

Supporting camera systems up to 19 lbs, the 329RC4 is lighter and smaller than other heavy-duty 3-way heads such as the 3047 and 3039. The key feature to this head is its low profile which ensures that the cameras center of gravity is over the center of the tripod for maximum stability and control.

The 329RC4 is a redesign and replacement of the 3410 Low Profile Head. Apart from its increased weight capacity, the 329RC4 is more compatible with other plate systems used in the Manfrotto head range. The 3410 was the only head that had a stand alone plate system."

For quick actions, IMHO the best one is the Manfrotto GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD W/QUICK RELEASE PLATE / Cat. No: 3265 :

"Versatile, quick and easy to use. Just grip the handle and you can position your camera anywhere within 180° sphere. Supplied with a quick-release camera plate and a secondary safety lock, built-in bubble level and tension adjustment. Made of cast aluminum. Ideal for 35mm cameras with short or medium focal lenght lenses."