dennis_chaves

Basically, I'm leaving on a trip to Portugal tomorrow, I want to

bring my trusty N65 with me, but i'd also like to use my favorite

film (Fujicolor 800). I was told when I got the camera from my

friend that it's best to use 200-400 films only (he didn't know how

to set the ISO). There's no obvious dial or button for it - so how

do I change it? I remeber being told something about DX backings

(something like that), would I have to buy one of those, or is it

just something in the camera I need to fiddle with?

The N65 doesn't have the capability of setting film ISO speed manually. The lowest level Nikon that does is the N80. I'm not sure I understand why you're asking though. It will set the ISO speed of any film you use automatically. Manual ISO speed setting is only needed if you want to push or pull film (use it at an ISO speed different than it's rate ISO speed), or if you want to use some odd, technical films that don't have DX coding on the canister.

By the way, there is no "best" film speed. It depends on a lot of things. If you're satisfied with the quality of pictures you get with you Fuji 800, why change. A lower speed film will give you pictures with less grain, but on the other side of the coin, you will have to use slower shutter speeds (or larger aperture).

Oh, thanks a lot! I guess it is a kind of silly answer. But before I used this camera, I was using a very old pentax, which requires that you set the ISO manually (I didn't even know what DX codings were). Thanks for your help, but I am fully aware of the pros and cons of different ISO speeds. I'm using 800 for more casual things, and a couple rolls of 200 for scenery, sunsets, all that.

Thanks a million for your help!

You might also consider trying out a few different film types. The quality of light in Portugal is wonderful (especially near the coast) both morning and evening. Slide film captures this well, so Fuji Provia 100F, 400F and even Velvia at ISO50 are worth well worth trying.

Then there's Ilford XP2 for those b&w prints...

If you really want to stick with 800, take a ND filter and don't forget your polariser!

Just a few ideas from a PhotoNet "newbie".