LEICA R6 or R6.2 in in terms of reliability

That's like asking which you'd rather take, arsenic or cyanide. I had an R6, the shutter dial froze up and it cost me $525 to get it fixed at Leica (neither DAG or Sherry would touch it), and I had to send it back a second time because the speeds came back poorly timed. I also had 3 R6.2's. Two of them needed the meter circuitry replaced, one of them had it replaced twice (thankfully the second time was warranteed by Leica NJ because it failed less than a year later). All 3 6.2's and the 6 required service on the DOF lever which stuck in the "in" position. My tests with a digital shutter tester did not reveal any improvements in timing between the 6 and 6.2 as is sometimes listed as an advantage. Also the suede-like black lining inside the mirror boxes of all these cameras got gummy like light-seal foam.

Seems Jay was the lightening rod for all s**ty R cameras (along

with a couple of other vocal ex-Leica R customers).

That made it better for the rest of us as he (they) improved the

odds of getting a good one...including all of them I owned with

zero defects (2 R4s, 2 R6s, a R7, a R8, and 2 R6.2s).

Pesonally Jeri, I'd go for the R6.2 for the 1/2000th shutter speed.

The R6 at 1/1000th was a bit limiting in bright conditions.

(actually, I wouldn't do Leica R any more...A Canon EOS1V with

select L glass, including IS long glass, is hard to beat these

days).

I had three R6's which all went wrong, 2 R5,s which both went wrong, 2 R4,s which both went wrong and 2 R8,s which both went wrong, see a pattern appearing here? shame really cos many of the optics are outstanding. However, I have got three M6's and none have ever missed a beat, I gave up on the R system, the bodies are crap! If you want a great mechanical system with great glass, buy a Hasselblad.

I had 2 R6.2 and 1 R7, first R6.2's mirror fell off its hinges and second one jammed on the 7th frame, out of the box. Both brand new USA. R7 bought used in mint conditon, developed a flakey meter and required $400 for a circuit board replacement.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...