Busch Pressman 6x9 - rollfilm back solutions?

jaroslav_ilnytskyi

I might consider buying this camera, in good condition, to use with a

couple of lenses that won't go into folding cameras. The camera

doesn't have a rollfilm back, though and I've read that the back mount

is of spring-lock type, incompatible with most rollfilm backs.

Could I ask for any comments concerning availability of rollfilmbacks

for this camera or difficulty to adapt the other types (I don't mind

fiddling with the back or camera to fit)?

Thanks,

I recently aold a 6X9 Prwessman that had been converted to take rollfilm backs. The groundglass had been discarded and Graflok type locking slides added. There is no modification needed where the front of the film holder mounts, you just have to be careful that the slides grip the holder properly. It's best if they angle inward sso that they get tighter as they slide over.

This leaves you without a groundglass. You can make one from an (obsolete) film pack holder. The glass will probably need to be shimmed back the thickness of the metal around the edges of a film pack.

You can probably still see the one I sold on eBay by going to advnced search and searching closed items for modified Busch.

This may have been a common modification at one time. I hava a Burke & James which has been operated on in the same way. This one appears to be a very professional job using actual Graflok parts.

Thanks for the responses very much! Now I have a couple of options, will give it a thought. From what I've read on graflex webpage you can't use trimmed 120 roll in 620 filmback (not quite understand why, I did used trimmed 120 in a couple of cameras, with extra inserts to have a firm grip for transport and better centering on the axes), may be just of the roll length. I've got already Rada rollfilm back which I use with older Welta 6x9 folding view camera, may be the camera back could be modified somehow to accept this one.

Regards,

Jaroslav, just gulp a big gulp and get an adapt-a-roll. I use 'em. I don't respool new film on 620 spools, but I do respool exposed film onto a 120 spool before sending it to the lab. I've tried trimming 120 spools to use for take up, it works but poorly. Again, one has to rewind exposed film onto an unmutilated spool or mutilate a takeup spool for every roll shot. Taking up on a 620 spool is much much simpler and easier. Changing backs don't cost much and if not abused last a good long while.

Alternatively, find someone who's grafted a Graflok back onto a 2x3 Pressman and ask for the recipe. I doubted it can be done, as the backs aren't the same dimensions, but 2x3 Pressman cameras with Grafloks have been offered on eBay.

If you haven't bought the Pressman yet, perhaps you should get a Graphic with a Graflok instead. Pressmans don't cost as much as Centurys or 2x3 Crowns, which is appealing. They cost less, at least in part, because lens boards that fit them are very very scarce.

Cheers,

Dan