Process camera -> LF

eirik_berger

One of the ostacles would be the weight. I used one on a job back in the early 90's to shoot halftones. These things are big and heavy. It would make a nice horizontal enlarger. I think there is an photo on Clyde Butcher's site showing one in a big warehouse floor being used as an enlarger.

George Losse

Our process camera has a 24x36 inch/60x90cm vacuum back; and is loaded while under red lite safelight. There is no giant film holder for our camera. The film/negative is ortho. Loading film would require nighttime; and a giant black cloth over the entire back end of the camera. The rear portion of the camera is built into a darkroom wall; the smaller film load area has safelights and tanks. t<bR><BR>The camera is built into our building; and very heavy. The camera's rail is 19ft/ ~5.8 metres long.<BR><BR>Smaller portable process cameras could be moveable; or mounted on a truck bed. <BR><BR>Our giant camera has 360; 600; and 890mm lenses; probably the last two would focus at infinity.

Aside from portability, there aren't too many problems involved. I'm not sure what focus issue you have in mind. Although some process cameras had an automatic function similar to that of some old enlargers, most focused like normal view cameras. I assume that you have horizontal cameras in mind. Changing one of the vertical cameras to horizontal use could involve major modification of the camera's structure.

Process cameras are made to copy flat subjects, so have no tilt or swing movements. Adding them would differ from one camera to another, but in each cse would require considerable ingenuity and work.

Horizontal cameras were intended for use with long lenses. The minimum bellows extension is usually very long.

The back of most process cameras differs substantially from the usual type. Vacuum is used to hold the film flat. Working out how to load film in daylight and keep it flat could be your biggest obstacle.

As to the minimum bellows issue, you could try one hell of an inset lensboard. Maybe even something with a rail and bellows. Just an idea. Maybe try to use some metal and make it wide enough to use an arm to adjust the lens. Also, you need to remember about vignetting, so a wider one would be better.