Help with upgrade dilemma? Lens upgrade or move to digital?

sanjay_chugh1

Hello. I currently am a happy owner of the Elan 7E with the 28-135

f3.5-4.5 and also the 50 f1.8 and a 420EX flash.

I have had this for close to three years now.

With the Canadian dollor doing pretty good and me heading down to

Florida in Dec. I thought it might be good ti consider upgrading. But

as always it gets confusing. I am I guess an amatuer with still a lot

to learn and am still learning to use the Elan to it's full potential.

I first though I should get the 28-135mm Image Stabilizer lens. Then

I thought if I do, would I still need to keep my 28-105? Maybe I

should trade my old lens? What do you guys think about this? Should I

trade?

Finally, off course, I am sure there are many other readers in the

same dilemma as me? I really like shooting with my camera, but the

cost of film and development keeps me restrained. The EOS 10D is

still more then I would like to spend, but the 300D is reasonible.

I am trying to convince myself to be patient (something very hard for

me) and wait another two years for digital to get cheaper and better.

What do you guys think. Is it time to jump into digital? Should I

trade in my Elan7 (or sell it) and go digital? Or should I keep my

elan7 even if I get a digital camera at some point in the future?

The 300D has come into the market far sooner that I though a digital

slr would at an "affordable" price. Before this, there was no issue

as the digital camera I would want to get was too much. But now

everything has been thrown into confusion.

Finally for those that know, will the 300D satisfy some of the

advanced adventures/experiments that I like to try. Such as with

close up photography. Portrature with off camera flash etc. I am

trying to get a grasp on low light/indoor photography without using

the flash. I will soon be trying to do star trails etc (although I

guess that will be next summer now).

Any thoughts to help make a wise decision will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

I decided to jump to digital as the 300d was just too much of a bargain to miss. I kept my EOS 30 (elan 7e) for the times I absolutely need functions that the digital rebel doesn't have. These for you may be Mirror Lock Up, and Flash Exposure Compensation,

Even if you don't go for the digital, theere's not enough difference between the 28-105 and 28-135IS to justify keeping both.

Probably not answered your question, but ultimately it's your call.

Don't imagine that the costs of going digital are limited to trading bodies. You may find yourself with quite a spend on your computer for upgrading, software, a good printer, quality monitor, wide angle lens (if you want to improve on what the kit lens has to offer), CF cards, portable storage.... You might print a lower proportion of your pictures, but paper and ink costs are similar to the cost of a photographic print. Of course, it partly depends on how much you shoot, and how well equipped you already are. Remember to factor in the time you'll spend on digital processing - which you might enjoy or find a curse.

The 300D does lack a number of features of your Elan. If you can't get to try one before you travel, then at least handle its close film cousin, the Rebel Ti, and see if you think you could live with that. Try to imagine a smaller, dimmer viewfinder through which you can't really assess sharp focus. Remember that flash is much more tricky with digital than with film - you'd almost certainly need to trade your 420EX for either a 550EX or a Sigma 500 DG Super, as you won't have FEC (almost essential with digital) or 2nd curtain sync without, and you'll lose some effective power because the flash zooms to the angle of view for a 35mm frame, not the narrower AoV implied by the 1.6 crop factor of the 300D.

Now think what you could achieve with a 100mm f/2.8 macro - which is also an excellent portrait lens, and one you'll keep for many years.

Keep your current lenses, go with either the digital rebel or the 10D. Note you will also need to buy a CF card(s), a spare battery, possibly update your computer. For printing I use OFOTO, you can use your local photo shop that may have a good digital printer out back.

BTW keep your film camera, you will need it for high dynamic range scenes and wide angle photos.

Gerry

Your current zoom is fine. IS will only be useful if you insist on handholding for non-action, slow film, low-light conditions.

Be patient and wait for better/cheaper digital.

Any other lenses you would like to try instead? 20mm or 200mm or 300mm? They will still work when you go digital.

Have a great trip while I am still freezing up here!

Thanks for the responses so far. Yes, eventually off course it is my call, but sometimes you don't know which way to go. I feel the lure of digital and I just don't want to make wrong decision. So many people even many professionals are now going digital, but off course the professionals are able to afford the higher end cameras with fewer compromises etc.

I just feel the pressure to go digital for the obvious reasons such as taking many pictures and and not being afraid to experiment and practically instant feedback.

I can't afford the 10D but I don't know if I should go for the 300D even after reading all the reviews. I imagine a camera with the same performance and features as the 10D should be affordable in a couple of years.

I was not aware that it is darker looking through the view finder of a digital then a film camera. That is good to know. Also the information about the flash is useful. I can't rembember if the 300D (I will look at the spec) has a bulb mode. I think I would like to have that.

As far as computer hardware is concerned, that is not a problem for me, as I am a software developer and always have good hardware with me. However, I can't see myself sitting in front of photoshop adjusting my shots etc. I am not into that.

If I should stick with my Elan7, what would you recommend I get (In the $500-$600 CAD range). The prices even after the exchange rate are significantly cheaper then the prices here. For example the 28-135 IS lens I mentioned is $800 CAD here but would cost me just over $500 CAD if I purchase it. So I would like to take advantage of that while I am over there with the kids at DisneyWorld.

So should I succumb to the lure of digital with the 300D or stick with my Elan7? Why are some decisions so difficult. :-)

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

<i>". . . However, I can't see myself sitting in front of photoshop adjusting my shots etc. I am not into that. </i><p>

Sanjay, I think this statement answers your question of whether to go digital or not. <b>Every</b> digital image needs adjustment in Photoshop or another imaging program--sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.<p>

DSLR's like the 10D are designed to leave sharpening, colour balance, saturation, and contrast up to the photographer. That means a lot of computer work to optimize photos for printing or for the web.<p>

If you're already riding a computer all day in your work, lengthy postprocessing sessions might be agony, compared to getting out into a forest or meadow or onto a beach to shoot with film. Then you can leave the postprocessing to the lab.<p>

Maybe a good point and shoot digital would be a cheaper way to break into digital and see how you like it. The Canon A70, for example, performs very well, and the photos come out pretty well ready to print, compared to a DSLR.<p>

Regarding a new lens for your 7E, a 100mm USM macro or an ultrawide might put more enjoyment and interest into your shooting than the IS zoom. You've got two good lenses now.<p>

Hi Sanjay,

IMHO you should go for adding additional lenses. I was thinking about going digital from the start but decided against it. I simply dont like the concept of viewing pictures on the computer. The wait and excitement associated with geting the prints back is too much to let go. Also digital will keep on improving and in 1-2 years 300D will be around $500-600. Its your choice really.

I think 28-105 is a very nice lens (for the price). 50/1.8 is great. I have exactly these two lenses, so far, with Elan 7. Depending on your preferences, you may want to get 24/2.8 (if you like doing landscapes) and/or 70-200/4L. I checked out this lens over the weekend and I love it. You cannot go wrong with any of the two lenses. 28-135 IS is good (same as 28-105) but it is little heavier to be a walk around kind of lens.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will stick with film for now. It's very tempting to go to digital, but I think for myself it will be better to wait things out a little bit more. I will start another thread on what I should add to my equipment for my trip to Disneyworld.

Thanks again.