question for Rebel D300 users

Can you please tell me if you are satisfied with your D300. Does

anyone wish now they had bought the 10D instead. I am wanting to

trade in my D30 for larger pixel size. I photograph mainly for

myself, children, animals, family stuff, etc., and do not want to

spend the extra money on the 10D if the Rebel will suit my needs.

Thanks for any help and advice you may have.

I'm pretty sure she just means she wants a larger file, which the 10D or 300D will give her.<br>

Sounds to me like the Rebel would work fine for your application... you might want to run to the local electronics store and try one out.

I have a 300D. The 10D has some added capabilities, like mirror lock up, 9 pictures in burst mode against 300D's 4 pictures, second dial wheel that will help you choose settings faster in manual mode and a couple of focussing/exposure options that were removed in the 300D. In my eyes, the strongest point for the 10D is the iron body, while the 300D is pure plastic. This said, for me none of these added features is worth 500$ (in Italy you can double this value). If you need them, go for the 10D. How many times have you used those additional features in your current film camera? In my case, I don't even use some features of my AE-1 like DOF preview or the "backlight" button!

Simone

Yeah, for what it sounds like you will be doing, the 300d/digital rebel will work wonderfully. I do mostly amatuer/semi-pro shooting and the 300d fits perfectly. I can set it exactly as i want it, i don't normally use any of the functions the D10 has and i don't miss any except the flash exposure control, but i recently learned that you can use the 10d software to manually set FEC in the 300d, so i'm anxious to try that out.

As for the plasticky body, I will say it doesn't "feel" plasticky and actually, to me, feels pretty solid, kinda like the elan7 in terms of size and weight.

<i>Grant. I noticed you said 'run to the local electronics store' not to 'the local photographic store'. There's a message in there somewhere.</i>

<p>

I personally think that is a welcome change. I've unfortunately found "photographic" stores to be generally manned by somewhat elitist, heavily brand-biased, misinforming, wanna-be professionals. Sad to say, I've been mortified by the inaccuracies spouted my many a photography store clerk who thinks he's king of the store.

<p>

I greatly prefer to do my research on the internet and through various publications, then go to an "electronics" store where I don't have to deal with a photo store clerk.

Peter, I'd rather deal with some elitist sales person in a photo shop that actually

knows what he/she is talking about than with the dork at a consumer electronics

retailer who has to meet a sales objective and can't tell a compact flash card from a

vacuum cleaner. It's a disturbing trend; go ask a question about white balance or

battery life to a sales drone at your consumer electronics place.

I bought my Rebel from Vistek; although they're not all-knowing, they do have very

professional sales staff who know the gear; I was told what to expect about the Rebel,

and advantages and inconveniences of the model. We've got a few dealers here in

Montreal (Lozeau, Photo Service, Royal) that also have knowledgeable staff. I've had

nothing but horrid experiences in large consumer electronics outlets (like Future

Shop) where they have a high-speed rotary door for changing sales staff (who also sell

refrigerators and car radios, yeah, I can tell they're really in tune with photography).

If all that's left is elitist photo schmucks, blame Nikon, Canon and the other OEMs for

their distribution channel practices: I pity you if you ever have to deal with one of

those large consumer electronics outlets for service on your camera.

The Rebel's a higher end consumer cam. It's a great SLR, but it should still be sold by

people who know and use it.

Brenda, I bought a 10D in August and love it. Sold all the film cameras and bought a 300D as a back up. It is excellent. I added the battery grips to both and feel it is money well spent. The 300D doesn't have quite as many camera features as the 10D but I haven't missed them yet. The 300 doesn't have as wide an ISO range or shutter speed range but if you really need these things you should spend the money and get them. I could take or leave the kit lens but I am not unhappy with it. You will not go wrong with either camera.

Just my opinion but if you go to a camera store or an electronics store planning to spend a sgnificant amount of money you ought to do some research first. This has always been true. If you go in with no knowledge you usually get what you ask for, not what you want.

Rick H.