has anyone heard of a company that makes a LED ringlight? there is a

very specific one i am looking for that i found, a year or so ago,

and for the life of me i can not find it again. it had a website

with lots of videos and other info about it. it looked about the

size of some of the better known ringflashes like the profoto one,

but this was not a flash setup, it was an LED for continuous

lighting.

i interested in finding it bc i work strickly in B&W and almost

always in continuous lighting for both still lifes and portraits.

even if i never actually buy the darn thing, i really want to find

out who makes it. its bugged me enough that its almost a matter or

principle now ; ) thanks for the help and take care.

steven

100% positive it was LED. an array of dozens of LEDs is probably more accurate. unfortunately i dont remeber the specifics. it seemed fairly powerful, though im sure no where near as powerful as the high end ring flashes (dont think it cost like those either). could be great for still life.

thanks for the help so far, but i havent found what im looking for yet. while many of the rings that look purpose built for microscopes look tempting for macro work i dont think they are for me. also i should have mention im using the contax 120 lens which has a 72mm thread size which, if im not mistaken, cuts out many of the microscope rings as well as the samigon.

another thing that i specifically remeber, from one of the demo videos on the site of the mystery ringlight, is that photographer was using this light as a fill in some fashion type work from at least 10ft away. i dont think microscope rings would give me that option, but i could be wrong. again my memory is fuzzy but i believe the demo camera was some type of mamiya 67. the light most resembled the profoto ringflash with some sort of cover that give a slight amount of diffusion for the multiple LEDs.

who knows. it may have been a crappy product and the company is out of business now. thats a shame bc the product seemed interesting. the light as well as the site seemed to be well thought out and of a good quality, not some fly by night setup. id be willing to bet money i even bookmarked the site many crashes ago ; ) thank you all again for your help. if anyone stumbles across this mystery ring please remeber this thread. thanks again and take care.

steven

• 5 months later...

Probably not what you're looking for but I remember seeing something similar a while back as well. The company might have either gone away or given up on this product.

<p>

I did find this right now but I didn't read threw all the info. Apparently it's an led flash system. Flash as in strobe, off on off. Don't know why you'd want that with LED's unless they are really really bright, which I guess is the point.

<p>

It's seems cool though. It's a modular system so I guess people can come up with different combinations including ringlights. <a href="http://www.1394imaging.com/resources/backgnd/lighting/vfsampleapps/?sid=daf0be5bde64894c7ed033b7076a9b3d">Read more info here</a>

• 2 months later...

I'm making one right now. Will be for use in cine as well. Check out sites on LED's to

find the SuperBrights in 3200 and 5600K versions. They can also be found in

multiple configurations. With low draw, you should be able to power it through a

battery pack AND it has instant on off and is dimmable. Will post picture when

complete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...