BIG dilemma - EOS 33 or EOS 300

ornela_maric

Hello everyone,

I am about to make an investment into more serious equipment than my

current compact camera, and the choice has narrowed down to EOS 33.

However, just as I was aboyt to buy one, when checking the local

stores I have found out that there is a really good offer at the

moment when purchasing EOS 300 together with telephoto lens - the

saving is significant and that has shaken my confidence in the

previous choice.

My plans are to go deeper into photography, not just to move further

from the point-and-shoot level. Generally, my idea is to buy a camera

that will be good enough for a really long time. I have tried to

study the specs, but as I am not experienced to properly judge the

equipment I am really confused now. Are the extra features that EOS

33 offer really worth the price difference? I know it is me who will

decide in the end, but I would really highly appreciate the opinion

of someone who is familiar with any of those or ideally both models.

Many thanks!

Ornela

I've been in your position. I went into a store wanting the more expensive EOS 30 and they sold me an EOS300 package (Rebel 2000). Within two months I replaced almost everything that came in the package.

I assume that since you've made it to this forum that you are or plan to get into the "Advanced Amateur" category. You will find that the EOS 300 is annoying to use when you want to do Time value shots, or Aperture priority shots. Also it's annoying trying to bracket using the EOS 300.

Don't waste your money, go for the Elan. Or I'll sell you my package which has been collecting dust. lol!

Happy Shooting!

I just moved up from the EOS 300 to the 30 after more than two years shooting with the former. Yes, the 30/33 is a better camera, but I don't think I ever missed a shot because I didn't have it. I did miss many shots because I didn't have a telephoto. I personally (please note the "pesonally") think it's better to have a lower-end camera with two more lenses than a higher-end one with just one lens. If I had to give up my long lens to upgrade to the EOS 30 I wouldn't have done it.

No dilema IMO. If you really wato to go deeply into photography the only way way to go between those two models is EOS 33 (don't get 30, eye focusing control is a waste of money and time). and if you have enough money don't buy cheap glass ( the only one cheap lens that's woth is the EF 50mm f/1.8) that would be a good choice. Avoid the lenses that come with kits!!! hope this help you regards

Having just upgraded to the 7e (EOS 33) from a Rebel XS, I definitely enjoy the added features such as mirror lockup, 2nd curtain sync, eye control, flash exposure control, faster shutter speed etc. Have these features made be a better photographer? No. When I started out using a SLR camera would I have wanted or even known when to use some of these features? Probably not. As a beginner I would have been happy with either. But if you want a body that you will grow into and �be good enough for a really long time�, then buy the EOS 33. Get yourself the 50mm f1.8 lens and concentrate on your technique, composition, lighting, and exposure of you photographs.

I started with the EOS 300 and used it for a year before moving to the EOS 30. I have never looked back. My vote goes to the EOS 30/33.

<p>

Alternatively, you might want to consider an EOS 50/50E. It is the discontinued predecessor to the EOS 30/33, and may be purchased used for about the same price as a new EOS 300. Have a look at this site for specs: <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30/"> http://photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30/</a>.

<p>

Happy Shooting!

Congratulations on your decision to move up into the Canon system!

Purchasing a camera is not always the clean cut decision it could be. The EOS system is targeted towards three distinct groups of purchasers; Amateurs, Advanced Amateurs, and Professionals. The trick with purchasing equipment is deciding where you fit.

The Amateur class of equipment is for people who are seeking a camera that will deliver consistently good pictures, yet allow them some control over their camera. In the North American market these cameras are called Rebels. Elsewhere they are 3000, 300, X000, X00, etc. models. I heard somewhere that 1 in 3 film cameras sold in the United States is a Rebel, although I can�t confirm that. There is nothing wrong with the Amateur camera bodies, but most of the Amateur lenses are junk. Stay away from them. Point and shoot lenses are often better. You moved to a Single Lens Reflex camera to be able to do more, so I recommend you purchase lenses from the Advanced Amateur Class or purchase prime lenses.

An Amateur Class outfit could cost as little as $250 for a camera and standard zoom lens to as much as $700 for a tidy little collection. Current equipment in the Amateur Class is :

Rebel G2/ EOS 3000? Camera Body

Rebel 2000/ EOS 300 Camera Body

Rebel Ti/ EOS 300v Camera Body

EOS 220EX Speedlite

EOS 420EX Speedlite

EOS EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 (USM)

EOS EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 (USM)

EOS EF 35-80mm f4-5.6

EOS EF 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 USM

EOS EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 (USM) (IS)

and some others that I can�t currently remember.

Equipment in the Advanced Amateur Class is designed for people who also want a camera that will take care of business in delivering stunning photographs, but is easier to use and more feature-laden that the Amateur Class cameras. An example of this is the rear dial on the back of the cameras in this class. This dial is used to control exposure compensation and aperture and makes it far easier to make split second adjustments as shooting conditions change.

A complete system in the Advanced Amateur Class could cost between $700 for just a camera and lens and $3000 for a complete system. Current equipment in the Amateur Class is :

Elan 7/ EOS 33

Elan 7e/ EOS 30

EOS 3 (Borderline with Professional Class)

EOS 420EX Speedlite

EOS 550EX Speedlite

EOS EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM

EOS EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

EOS EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

EOS EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

EOS EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

EOS EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM

EOS EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

Equipment in the Professional Class is for photographers who need equipment that is exceptionally versatile and will get the photo (right) 100% of the time. This equipment has high degrees of weatherproofing and ruggedness to be able to go anywhere and do anything.

A Professional Class system probably weighs and costs more than you want to deal with but is probably around $9000. Equipment in this class is:

EOS 3 (Borderline with Advanced Amateur Class)

EOS 1v

EOS 1vHS

EOS 550EX Speedlite

EOS 480EG Speedlite

EOS EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM

EOS EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

EOS EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM

Giant Telephoto Primes such as the EOS EF 600mm f/4 L IS USM

A few words about abbreviations and Canon technology:

You might have noticed that the f-stops of the lenses drop as their prices increase. Lenses with low f-numbers (f/2.8) move larger amounts of light to the film plane than lenses with high f-numbers (f/5.6). The more light you have, the faster your shutter speed and the lower your depth of field. These expensive lenses are good for taking fashion photographs with blurred backgrounds or photographs in low light, hence they are desirable to professional photographers.

"L" stands for "Luxury." Lenses in this line deliver exceptionally sharp and vibrant photographs. They are usually fast (have low f-numbers) and some degree of weatherproofing. They are heavy and expensive.

"USM" stands for "UltraSonic Motor." This allows lenses to focus quietly and vibration-free. You can also override the autofocus by merely grabbing the focusing ring and turning.

"IS" stands for "Image Stabilization." This technology counteracts camera shake and gives sharp photographs during slow shutter speeds.

A word about prime lenses; all Canon prime (fixed focal length) lenses are excellent. Some, namely those that have USM, are easier to use than other, but the quality of pictures taken with them will always be astounding. Prime lenses are also often faster than zoom lenses and allow the use to work in lower light conditions than zooms. People who purchase prime lenses are people who work in very low light or demand the absolute best quality. A prime lens will always be sharper, crisper, and more contrasty than a zoom. The downside to using primes is having to lug around multiple lenses for every zoom lens, the trouble of always changing lenses to achieve different views, and the initial cost of purchasing multiple lenses.

Affordable ($70-$450) primes are as follows;

EOS EF 20mm f/2.8 USM

EOS EF 24mm f/2.8

EOS EF 28mm f/1.8 USM

EOS EF 28mm f/2.8

EOS EF 35mm f/2

EOS EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

EOS EF 50mm f/1.8

EOS EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EOS EF 100mm f/2 USM

Expensive primes are mostly L Series lenses that are ultra fast (f/1.4) or are huge telephoto lenses (300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm, 1200mm, etc.). These are probably out of your budget at around $1000+ each.

I must note that all Canon camera bodies are capable of taking excellent photographs. An excellent photograph has more to do with the photographer than the camera body or many other factors. Some in this forum are fanatical about equipment and will spend hours extolling the virtues of product A over product B. A photograph is merely an image formed on film (or a digital sensor). Better and more expensive equipment only serves to make the image slightly sharper and/or easier to take.

The trick to picking the equipment that is best for you is first picking a class of equipment that fits your needs and then tailoring it to fit your budget.

"My plans are to go deeper into photography, not just to move further from the point-and-shoot level. Generally, my idea is to buy a camera that will be good enough for a really long time." Bingo! Purchase an Elan 7e/ EOS 30 (With Eye-Control)! This camera is the core model of the EOS system. It is easy enough for a beginner to be comfortable enough, flexible enough to allow you to grow with it, and cable enough to be a professional�s backup camera.

I know this was not one of your original choices, but from someone who has, at one time or another, used the entire EOS line, this is probably the best model for you. Had you not said that you wanted to go deeper into photography I would have recommended the Rebel Ti/ EOS 300v. But the Elan 7e/ EOS 30 is a camera that stays out of the photographer�s way and makes photography fun - the best for allowing a beginner to be as creative as they want.

As for lenses, I recommend you pick up a EOS EF 50mm f/1.8 and either a EOS EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or a EOS EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. These lenses will allow you to dip your feet in the waters of photography and will give you time to decide how much money you want to put into this hobby. If you decide to go further I recommend getting the BP-300 Battery Pack, the RS-60E3 cable release, 420EX or 550EX flash, a Bogen tripod, and some rechargeable NiMH batteries for the camera and Speedlite. When it is time to expand again you can purchase an EOS EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM or, if you have fallen in love with your photography and are ready to go whole hog, an EOS EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, EOS EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, and EOS EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM to replace or compliment your original lenses, and a 550EX.

I can�t chose for you, only advise. Sometimes the most useful thing to do is go down to your local camera store and play around with the various equipment.

Remember, you can do well with just about anything. The most important thing is to be creative�.

Good luck and best wishes,

Hi Ornela,

You already asked me your question by e-mail but I'll post an answer here too for others who stand before that choice...:

First, have a look at this Canon EOS Beginner FAQ: http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/ - it explains a lot about the differences of the EOS cameras.

I chose the EOS 30 instead of the 300(v) because the 300(v) lacks some features that I don't want to miss, like being able to manually choose the metering mode etc. Also I bought it with the thought in mind that this is the last film camera I'll every buy; I hope that in 2 or 3 years Canon's DSLRs become better and cheaper and then I'll buy an EOS DSLR.

Be aware that the EOS 300 is different from the 300v; the former for example has a plastic lens mount, while the 300v has a better metal lens mount.

regards

<P> I hate being a conformist but I also think that any Elan is better than any Rebel for the anyone who wants to make photography a hobby. However, as a happy owner of two Elans, I'm somewhat prejudice.....

</P>

<P>Oh, and do yourself a favor and <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#kitlenses">avoid</a> any kit lenses. </P>

<P> Happy shooting , <br>

Yakim. </P>

Dear all!

Thank you for the great response to my question! After a few posts only my dilemma was cleared, I guess I don't need to say in favour of which model :)

I am really grateful for your advices and effort you have made in replying. Not only it helped me to make the final decision, but I really learnt a lot too.

Thanks again, you have really been fantastic! However, don't let me discourage you from continuting to contribute to the topic - I am sure that there will be more people with the same dilemma and hopefully they will benefit from your advices too.

All the best,

Ornela