Should I buy this lens from e-bay?

oofoto

Should I buy this lens from an e-bay seller? Would you??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&item=2952562276&category=4687&rd=1

Canon 100-300 f/5.6 L series zoom lens

. A close friend of mine has switched to digital and is selling all

his film equipment. He is a freelance landscape photographer and very

meticulous about the care of his cameras. This lens was purchased new

in 1998 with a USA warranty. This lens is in very good condition with

the exception of a small mark on the front element (cleaning?) this

does not effect the quality of the image! Also included is the

original caps and the ET-62II lens shade made for this lens. Shipping

will be at the buyer's expense and will be determined at the end of

auction according to the USPS priority rate. Please use the shipping

calculator near the bottom of the page. Optional insurance and

delivery confirmation will be available. If you have specific

questions I will try to assist you or will refer you to his email

address.

The price I have it for is $337 including postage to the UK.

In Paul's defense - I do not know Paul - I would point out he has a UK email addy ...@kbp.kingspan.co.uk. The site that Paul's addy belongs to is for a company that sells building roofing & siding - the company has offices around the world, but not in the US http://www.kbp.kingspan.co.uk The seller of the lens lists himself as being from Dyersville, Iowa, USA.

So, yes we could be being taken for a ride here, but the available info (including a quickie review I did of Paul's 49 posts to P.net forumz) does not readily support that. It is more probable that Paul is simply looking for user experiences/recommendations with this highly regarded lens.

--

Hi Guys, the buyer from Sweden pulled out due to a $60 postage fee, so the seller offered the lens to me being the 2nd highest bidder. I am not advertising the lens as being for sale - that would be dumb as I want it.

The question is really, from the description is the price OK? - it's hard to find a guide price. Also I am troubled by the small mark on the front glass. If it is only a 'cleaning mark' is it likely to effect images?

Also, would affects the final image most, marks on the front element or marks on the rear element?

Thankyou Dan for looking past your nose and seeing the genuine question (maybe you were the only one who put together the broken URL). I would never use photo.net for such purposes.

I know it's probably a silly question and the 1st answer probably answers it, but I'm nervous about parting with cash over long distance like that.

Thanks

The posting should have looked like this:

Should I buy this lens from an e-bay seller? Would you??

"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2952562276&category=4687&rd=1 Canon 100-300 f/5.6 L series zoom lens . A close friend of mine has switched to digital and is selling all his film equipment. He is a freelance landscape photographer and very meticulous about the care of his cameras. This lens was purchased new in 1998 with a USA warranty. This lens is in very good condition with the exception of a small mark on the front element (cleaning?) this does not effect the quality of the image! Also included is the original caps and the ET-62II lens shade made for this lens. Shipping will be at the buyer's expense and will be determined at the end of auction according to the USPS priority rate. Please use the shipping calculator near the bottom of the page. Optional insurance and delivery confirmation will be available. If you have specific questions I will try to assist you or will refer you to his email address."

The price I have it for is $337 including postage to the UK.

I had a look ,it does look nice-The mark on the front element may be optically irrelevant but will make it worth less than a comparable perfect one.How much should it be worth?

<br>Sorry i'm not familiar with the current prices of that model but a search of past auctions shows another one that sold for a very similar price.KEH don't have any (they are usually cheaper than ebay for 2nd hand!)

<BR>For what it's worth i've been buying and selling lots of lenses over that last year+ and i've yet to get any bad surprises.If they work when i buy them,they tend to STAY reliable.I've never had significant problems with optically 'dud' lenses (decentered elements,dropped lenses,etc).Items get 'talked up' all the time on ebay but that one looks ok.

Paul - I cannot comment on the price but I don't think a small mark on the front element will be evident in the images. Damage to the rear element would almost have to be deliberate since its deeply recessed. Anyway, you need the lens, you want it; so what are you waiting for? If you elected to sell the lens later I don't think you would lose much.

Regerds

Donald

Thanks to you all for your answers.

I am going to go ahead with this purchase because as Donald pointed out, I wnat and need this lens.

Yakim, since you are such a regular contributor to this forum, perhaps you could share some of your work with us all? ;^)