F100 combo, I was amazed of the improved stability and sturdiness of

this new setting. Combined with the improved grip of the dove-tail

adaptor, I think this new �sitting� system is stable enough as to

support a 500/f4 with good results. What do you think?, Am I

dreaming?, Is this impossible?

Regards,

Manuel Weber

Another tripod dilema. Heh? :)

I've gone through the stability problem for a long time and still going through it.

I�ve a 340 (aluminum) with flat plate. This is good, but not the best for my sigma 500/4.5 HSM lens. It gives solid result when I have the tripod in it�s lowest position. But if it�s fully extended, you won�t get the best result allways, especially if the shutter speed is below 100. You can get vibrations from the shutter. This has a capacity of 10 Kilo. Yeah ofcourse the tripod will hold your 500mm, but I�m not that confident about 500mm lense�s vibration. I would go for 1325/7 for 500. I�m struggling to get 1000mm (500mm + 2X) sharp pictures. I used TC-20E and sigma lens. Sometime I get super sharp pictures, but not allways.. If I go for 1548 I might get better result, may be not allways�

Did I answer your question? If not my answer is �I don�t think so�

Good luck

Briefly, the answer is yes! I have been using the Gitzo 1228 CF and Kirk BH-1 and A-S mount for my Nikkor 500mm f/4 (often with a TC14B) for several years now. I have recently added the Wimberley "Sidekick" that seems to be a great way to go with this lens. I do use the CF center column, though seldom in its top position. (This is not the later version grooved column so I have to be sure to tighten the clamp firmly.) Originally I would use mirror lock-up and cable release, but now I often prefer to keep my eye clamped to the eyepiece and have my left hand or arm draped over the lens to minimize vibrations. This is when I am using times like 1/60th to 1/250 sec. For longer times, MLU and CR are recommended.

I have a 1227 (3leg section)w/Arca Swiss head & use it with a 500 f4 Nikkor. No centerpost save for a 3" section to which I have screwed a shop made (I'm a machinist) aluminum plate, wide, knurled rim & a top diameter which matches ball head diameter. With this I have taken sharp photos of wild turkeys, deer & elk; it is traveling with me to Denali next month.I am staying a week near the end of the park road & feel this is a good compromise between light & sturdy. Like other posters said, keep the mass low as possible, and I would add, set off the camera quietly. This has not yet yielded sharp photos with the TC-14B converter. Of course it all relies on the shutter speeds.

If you have the time to use MLU anything will work fine. Then we can use timer or cable release. then the setup will be still if there's no strong wind. If you don't have the time to use MLU and cable release you need speed above 250 to make it sharp. This means you need ISO like 400 or so (digital or film). If you have IS or VR things will be different...

Personally, I wouldn't put a 500mm/f4 lens on a G1228 on a regular basis, but if you need to use this combination occasionally, I would imagine that it is ok. The G1228 is still a pretty small tripod and a 500mm/f4, or for that matter, a 300mm/f2.8, is not stable especially under windy conditions. It only takes one fall to damage some very expensive equipment.

However, whether a tripod is sufficient is quite subjective. If you always work under very calm conditions, perhaps this combo is OK. It is all very subjective.

I'm curious about how you modified the center column / tripod to attach the ball-head directly.

I have a G1027, which is a very small and thin Gitzo tripod. It's to be used for backpacking, when hauling along my G1325 is too much of a burden.

The G1027 has a center column, but it's not possible to buy a short center column for this tripod (an old out-of-production and impossible to get G035 short non-carbon fiber column might fit), and hence I have to do something to be able to get low to the ground (the turn-the-center-column-up-side-down-trick is not what I'm looking for).

I could either cut the center column, or I could try to remove it all together and attach the ball-head directly to the tripod base.

One radical solution would be to cut away the top and bottom center column collars, and then put something 3/4" with threads for the 3/8" ball-head attachment screw into the hole (a person with the correct tool and skill set should be able to make a custom fit aluminum cylinder which would do the trick, I hope...). The ball-head could then be attached directly to the new, flat, base of the tripod.

Attached is a drawing showing the concept, the optimal solution as Figure A, and the second best, with only the top collar removed, as Figure B.

Does this look anything like your solution ? Before I do permanent changes (cutting) in my tripod, I would really like to hear more about the changes you did to yours (even though a G1228 is bigger than the G1027, I believe the center column mechanism is the same).

Regards, Kristian<div>005KFQ-13245784.jpg.3341d7ccca911a82cc58954cd8e78f89.jpg</div>

I agree with Shun. I use a G1325 under my 500/4 and I consider it to be the minimum tripod I would use for this lens. You could certainly get away with using a lighter tripod but it will be far from ideal. Not only are larger tripods more rigid, but they have a wider footprint giving greater stability. Under windy conditions, or sloping ground etc., I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a large lens on the 1228. If you're going to spend that much on a lens, don't skimp on the tripod.

Hi,

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I'will try the combo for stability and when I get some results I'll get back to you with them.

Regarding the modification question of Kris, here is more of what I did:

My modification was very straight forward. The carbon fiber short column (G1239) is designed for the tripods G1227 and G1228 with RAPID COLUMN. I have a G1228G with GEARED COLUMN, so that the G1239 is too short for this model. I bought a 3/8 bolt that is one inch longer (you should find one in any specialized hardware store that is exactly the same material, thread and shape as those provided by Gitzo). I removed the whole geared mechanism and the long column, alltogether with plates and platic seals, leaving just the metallic base of the tripod. I screwed the short column with the ball-head using the new longer bolt and thats it!. The tripod is lighter, sturdier and much more stable now. It also looks very nice with the G1378 ball-head panoramic base sitting directly on the base of the tripod. It is like a mini version of a systematic G1325 (see pictures attached).

I am not familiar with the tripod you are planning to modify, so I cannot provide an informed suggestion. But just one word of caution. If you make permanent modifications to your tripod (e.g. drilling, cutting)you will lose the Gitzo life time warranty on an expensive piece of gear. The modifications I made are not permanent, so If I have a problem with the tripod I can always re-assemble the whole thing and claim the warranty.

Thanks a lot!<div>005KMS-13248884.jpg.36b9380a4cb7f049881bc42946b807b1.jpg</div>

Hi again,

Kris, I've just checked the Gitzo web page and it seems to me that the G1027 has no flat base such as that of the G1228/1227. That means you cannot sit the ball-head directly on a flat base. I would suggest either to cut the center column, if you really need to go ground-level for macro photography (you can alway buy a new column)or try with a longer 3/8 bolt screwing the removable center base with the "body" of the tripod, perhaps using a nut and round, flat extension (see pecture). Don't cut on the base of the tripod. You'll lose the warranty!

Cheers,<div>005KNL-13249084.jpg.71ae051f7a08c796704226df4279f535.jpg</div>

Hi,

I agree with Shun and Ryan using a 1325. I personally use a 1348 with my 500/f4 and F5 after getting advice from Shun. It is similar to 1325 but has 4 leg sections. The reason I bought this was it collapses to a smaller length than 1325 which is easier to take around, and usually I do not extend the 4th set of legs as I am only 5'5"s. In my opinion to get the best results after spending a lot of money on glass requires a good tripod. But I have to agree that 1348 is a chunky piece of equipment to travel with. Some photographers even use Sachtler tripods with their tele photo lenses. It is a matter of choice and required outcome!!!

Cheers

Owners of the original 1228 (not geared) should stop reading here since the geared version is evidently constructed differently - the column lock on the original sits above the tripod apex, not below as with the 1228G. It isn't possible to perform this mod without cutting into the metal of the 1228 (voiding warranty) or replacing the entire apex section with the one designed for the 1228G.

<P>

I hope one of our moderators considers this thread worthy of archiving...

<P>

<I>By default, threads in this Forum are automatically archived. -- SC</I>