More bad news for air travelers

greg_smith4

"WASHINGTON (July 30) - Federal officials say they have no plans to

raise the nation's terrorism alert level despite warnings that five-

man al-Qaida teams may be planning to hijack and crash more

airplanes, similar to the Sept. 11 attacks.

``The hijackers may try to calm passengers and make them believe they

were on a hostage, not suicide, mission,'' a warning distributed over

the weekend to airlines and law enforcement agencies said. ``The

hijackers may attempt to use common items carried by travelers, such

as cameras, modified as weapons.''"

Bad for two reasons, on there could be more hijacking, two air port

security will be near impossible with camera equipment.

Unfortunately, I will be flying to Florida in the next few weeks.

I got the official <a href="http://travel.state.gov/wwc1.html">State Department warning</a> (for U.S. citizens abroad) in my mailbox this morning. When I read CNN a few minutes ago, I was.. well.. a little worried, and was about to start a thread. Grady beat me to it by minutes.<p>I haven't found the official <a href="http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/">Department of Homeland Security</a> warning yet. The text Grady quoted is paraphrased in a CNN <a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/07/29/airline.warning/index.html">report</a> that also includes:<p><i>Homeland Security officials said there is no immediate plan to raise the nation's threat level, but that the aviation sector has been encouraged to review security practices and implement new random measures. One official would not specify what the new security steps might be, but said one of the points of the advisory is to encourage security personnel at every level to be on the lookout for new and different terrorist techniques.</i><p>The official TSA list of <a href="http://www.tsa.dot.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/tsa_ppitems.pdf">permitted items in carry-on luggage</a> includes camera equipment--but the list is dated 11/21/02. While airport security has improved by the TSA taking over, how do you explain to average security personnel that you can't fully open e.g. a Canon EOS 1Ds--or a Sony DSC-F717? Or that you can't just unscrew a 70-200mm's barrel to let people look into it? And, what if security suddenly decides SLRs and lenses above a certain size--or interchangeable lenses in general--are banned from carry-on luggage, and does so one hour before you arrive at the airport?<p>I hope I'm just paranoid, but experience has shown security definitely is. Let us pray.

Granted enough plastique could be tucked inside a gutted camera to blow out the side of a jet.

But why is it the gummint and their toadies in the news media continually demonize photography, with all their dire warnings to watch out for unusual people taking photos of things they shouldn't be photographing, like...buildings and...stuff...'cause, like, why would anyone need to photograph stuff that isn't of a birthday party or your grandma in a wheelchair?

Hasn't it occurred to them that explosives or other weapons could be hidden in a modifed laptop, PDA or cell phone? But I can't recall the last time I heard another tiresome terror alert that mentioned anything other than cameras and photography.

And is anyone else tired of the nation constantly being on Condition: Eyes On Stalks!!! Just once I'd like to go a week on Condition: Bug Up Me Bum!

Not me Lex, I'd rather they look in my camera bag! I don't fly much anymore but don't mind showing off the gear, uh, camera gear. I've never heard of anyne having to do anything except show functionality of various kinds of devices. If you get a toad who wants disassembly, get a supervisor.

<P>Cryptographer and security expert Bruce Schneier has an interesting article about dealing with pointless, stupid security measures, "How to Fight", in the current <A HREF="http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0307.html">Crytpo-Gram</A>. Alas, you usually can't fight since the people who enforce security aren't the ones who make the rules, and the ones who make the rules often don't have a clue.</P>

Jim - I think you are wrong. What's really going to happen is they're going to make us all fly naked and send our luggage on ahead via FedEx. Not only does this reduce the risk of terrorism, but they be able to cram another 100 seats into the luggage hold.

According to MI5, who have the latest from Blofeld, the enemy are likely to be using film canisters or film cameras, it seems that the film can be extracted and used quite effectively as a garotte. There is particular emphasis on APS film and cameras, because of the narrow width of the film lends itself to this purpose, and the likelyhood that it contains images of near naked sunburned people.

<i>Hasn't it occurred to them that explosives or other weapons could be hidden in a modifed laptop, PDA or cell phone?</i><br>They used to weigh laptops and PDAs at European airports, and woe to you if its weight wasn't precisely according to manufacturers' specs. One insurance company had all its reps in trouble after their laptops had been upgraded by the insurance's engineers.<p>What makes cameras look odd is batteries. They're pretty dense metallic objects, and if you have two or more of them stacked, they're a black spot on the X-ray operator's monitor. Now, opening a film camera is easy, but any digicam has a lot of enclosed space that cannot be opened without tools. (If you have one, check how much electronics and empty space is still there after you've removed the battery and the storage card.) If security <i>wants</i> to harass you, they'll just insist that your digital camera is impenetrable by X-rays, so it's gotta stay grounded.

I had no problem taking my gear INTO the US in June, and shot a few rolls of the Golden Gate, the Brooklyn Bridge (even used infrared film as an experiment), a few dams, the Empire State Building, San Diego's harbor (with the Coronado Bridge), and even the wing of an airplane in flight.

Think they'll let me out again?

FWIW, my N8008 body would be a better weapon than your 80-200mm lens. I got an extra-long strap to get more force when I swing it around my head.

Just to follow up on this: I flew back from Canada yesterday, and the only changes I saw compared to my previous recent flying experiences (where I just put the camera bag through the carry-on X-ray machine) were that I had to take the camera out of the bag for the X-ray, and afterwards they swabbed it for explosives residues. They were also swabbing all laptops. So, not much problem for cameras in security.

The vast majority of this stuff I refer to as "rumaging through grannie's panties". They have wasted vast amounts of time and effort being politically correct by considering everyone as a suspect, but have yet to do didly about the massive holes in identity theft.

They still don't really know who's who as we continue to live in a world of paper and plastic docs which can be and are forged by the countless thousands. Actually, as time progresses you will be flying naked (momentarilly at least) as they have grannie walk through imaging equipment and check her undies, and beyond. Meanwhile, the real threat will be roaming around with 20 passports.

I just came back from two weeks in Russia and have not one horror story to tell. The "worst" thing that happened to me was some gal in Copenhagen took all 35 rolls of film out the the lead film bag and "sniffed" them for explosives. That seems like a pretty reasonable precaution to me. The biggest problem is that we now have to show our passports every time we fart and I tell ya I do produce some methane!

• 2 months later...

The TSA's website indicates that there are several reasons for having film hand inspected. These include any film that will be pushed, underexposed. It also included 800 speed and faster, as well as "professional films". It goes on to say that you can ALWAYS request and receive a hand inspection at US airports.

I have flown a couple times since the TSA took over and all that happened was that they swabed the film for explosives. If they say thay have to x-ray it, politely ask for a supervisor.

Coming back from Vancouver, the canadian authorities did one better. I was in line, my film in a clear bag in my hand, waiting to go through security. The security person approached me in line and said, "would you like that hand inspected sir" I of course said yes and that is what they did.

My camera bags are routinely swabed for explosives but thats about it.