Prime lens Vs. Zoom lens - security reason...

pedro_sincleir

Hi again folks! =)

Well I would like some points... you know, nowadays with all those security

problems around the world (thieves), is it really safe to bring 3,4 prime lens

and exchange all the time? wouldn't that bring too much attention?

I plan to travel to Jamaica and Israel

ps. I don't want to cause any discussion, just advices please =)

thank you very much =)

My point is: If you don't want to carry it with you everywhere, ALL THE TIME during your trip..DOWNSIZE! A small zoon point and shoot. Or what I do...one camera body, and a 28-105 zoom. Still small enough to slip into a plastic bag if things don't look too cool.

It's a trade off. I took only a 35mm lens and Leica M6 (old) to Mexico and regretted it. It wasn't as dangerous as I had expected, and next time i'll take a 28mm and a 90mm. There's no right answer to your question, of course, but I sympathise with you. There is a real freedom in having only one lens, but some of the time it's the wrong one.

i also recommend taking a point and shoot along no matter what. it will serve as a backup if your primary camera fails. plus there will likely be days where you're primary focus won't be photography and you'll just want to have something along "just in case." point and shoots are also helpful if you want to have somebody else take a picture of you (and your travel companions??)... since everybody knows how to operate one.

You can leave equipment in the safe of your hotel, and you can ask them about the places where you're planning to go and size your equipment for the day accordingly. Don't assume that you'll need the exact same lenses every single day. The lenses you need on a given day will also depend on what you visit. In a zoo, I'll do just fine with only a 70-300 zoom (180mm if I had to pick a prime), in open spaces I'll often manage with only an 18-35 (28mm if I had to pick a prime).

One of the biggest problems is when you are travelling alone if there is the slightest question of security; either just take one lens or make sure someone else is with you ideally a guide. They can carry a lens or two, to split up the equipment. You are most vaunerable when you are looking through the camera to take a photo, you can't see what is going on behind you, unless someone else is with you. I bet not many people have seen a camera stolen by a monkey but it happened to one of my friends in a busy market! The biggest give-away are the camera bags. Avoid any with trade names on them if they do, take the lable off. Crumpler make a good range of bags that don't really look like camera bags but in some international regions are still a bit of a give away. One of my well travelled friends now covers his cameras in varying camouflage to try to make it look cheap or old such as duck tape etc. Tape over the camera name etc. Doesn't look good but it can be removed and you not going there to pose. The people I know that have had equipment stolen it tended to be they themselves that drew attention to the equipment, rather than the actual equipment itself. Try to blend in with your evironment. Anyway hope you have a good trip when you go.

If you are worried about thieves, I think the problem is not about changing prime lenses, the problem is with a big bulky camera in your neck. A big 80-200 would also be a problem in that matter.

I think the ideal option would be using a simple MF SLR (fm3a? you got one, right?)or a small AF camera with primes. Primes are much more discreet :)

Not to tote my horn here or anything but living and taking pictures in Jamaica, I definetly prefer to put my 28-85 f3.5-4.5 zoom nikkor on my Fm2. Jamaican's are NOT friendly to photographers, they especialy hate SLR's because they think thats what pros use. Actualy I usualy just grab my Canon G2 to draw less atention. However, if your are going to Jamaica as a tourist (Me being a white Jamaican, when I go to Negril and Ocho Rios and other such tourist areas, am generaly ignored if I don't be to obtrusive) you will be ignored in the touristy areas. As for your equipment being stolen.... That's a real possibility. Camera theft is VERY common in Jamaica. There is no two ways about it. Carry your zoom lens and keep your kit bag near you, as the most likely place for it to get stolen is in the 'safety' of a hotel. If you keep your bag with you at ALL times the chances of your stff getting stolen are minimal, as blatant mugging in tourist attractions such as Dunn River Falls is almost unheard of. However, if you are going to be on the street working to capture the real Jamaica, put a zoom lens on your SLR and carry nothing else. Actualy, street photography is far easier and less harrasing out here if you use a point and shoot. Hope this helps....

A 50mm prime with an old worn hood (the lens itself can be the expensive 1.4 new out of the box) particularly on a manual focus camera, looks a lot older, cheaper and unattractive to the uninitiated than a big do-it-all zoom on the same camera, even if the zoom hardly costs more than the 50...

If you're afraid to draw attention by changing lenses all the time, just put the most versatile prime lens on your camera and stick with that for the moment.