Rollei - 80mm Zeiss Planar f1.8 PQS

squareframe

I have two photos of this lens in the latest Rollei literature. the

picture of the lens with PQ shutter shows a glass aperture window,

whereas the newer version with PQS shutter does not appear to include

this window.

the Distagon lens series seem to have this window, a few of the

Schneiders lens do, and Sonnars do not. true?

verification please.

thank you ...

I don't think there's any hard, fast rule. In general, PQ lenses have the window and PQS's don't, but my 180/2.8 and 300/4 are PQ and don't have the window. I believe the PQ lenses can be used with older Rollei's (which might not have a display that gives the aperture, hence the needle indicator is used) while the PQS can only be used w/ the the 6001/6003/6008.

I can understand that with the addition of the PQS shutter and the readout on the 6008, that the aperture window is redundant. what I do not understand, is why, according to the Zeiss engineer on this forum, this design is different from the Hasselblad f2.8 Planar. in fact, he states the optical performance is inferior to the new design. I noticed the Zeiss name on the Hasselblad and not on the Rollei. I would think Rollei would want equality here, as their clients certainly pay a steep price of admission, even at the entry level with this popular lens.

I use to belief that aperture window is not needed until recently.

My 80/2.8 was malfunction. I set the aperture at one setting, the LCD readout in the camera show other. Since the index shown in the aperture window is mechanically link to the aperture. It is only mean to confirm the aperture setting. Maybe just me, I am not able to tell what aperture setting by looking at the size of the aperture.

Hi Daniel

I don't think one need be too concerned about the 80mm/2.8 PQ or PQS. I do not know whether you have the little booklet from Rollei with the MTF curves and cross-sections of its entire range of lenses. I have compared the optical cross-sections of both the Hasselblad and Rollei incarnations of the 80mm/2.8 and find that they have similar cross-sections. Mind you, I am no optical expert but both have the same 7-element/5-group configuration. The Rollei HFT coating is jointly developed by Carl Zeiss and Rollei, and to all intents and purposes, is similar to the T* coating, according to CZ.

I won't be worried about the performance of the Rollei 80mm/2.8 though because everyone knows that the better lens is the Schneider-Kreuznach 90mm/f4 Apo-Symmar Macro {:p Or pony up for the Carl Zeiss 110mm/f2 Planar {{:p