500 EL/M - good deal?

leo_cavanha

Hey guys, it´s me again.

I have been offered a 500 EL that actually is a 500 EL/M (it has

interchangeable screens and its serial number is OK acording to

Wildi´s reference) for very good price (about US$ 230) and that is

aparently like new (I have the chance to test it this the weekend).

The point is that my priority is to get a good photometer and one or

two lenses, but is it worth to have such a camera? It see that could

be useful to me only in action shots (maybe 40% of my photos) and as

a spare body.

thanks for your advice!

Why action shots? I have two ELMs and one CM and a Super wide. I mainly use the ELMs. They are great for candids studio work and outside location shooting. I can`t think of any downside, they will take a electronic cable release also,has instant mirror return.

Batterys are not really a problem any more as there are a few alternitives. photobattery.com has them and there are always the 9 volt conversions. I have an EL/M and use it for just about every thing. It is a little heavy but worth it. I also have a 500C as a backup in case my batterys die. Now for action shots I use a 35mm because the EL/M is heavy. Put a 250mm or 300mm lens on a it and the cammera gets bloody heavy plus you will need a tripod. Get the best meter you can afford (starlite is great) and an 80mm normal lens. The other lens depends on what you want to do. I use a 120mm, 250mm and my 80mm. I find that this covers most of what I need to do.

Both of my ELMs have the old style batteries, I have never had any battery problems with them. I charge them like the Hassey manuals say. Two of the batterys are origional with the cameras, I bought two new ones about ten years ago . I put the two origional ones in on body and the newer ones on the other body I did this so the batterys would match. But I have never been able to kill the batterys , even when trying.But if it were to happen I carry a CM bnody also, so If I did have a problem I could finish with that body. If you carry backup you will never need it!!!!!!!! The best way to kill the batterys is to overcharge them. This is according to Ernst Wildi, I attended a course taught by him about twenty years ago. I still think the ELM is the best Hassey! But the Superwide is next.

The price is excellent. Be sure it comes with the charger. It IS poosible to overcharge the batteries and they DO swell up and bow out at the ends and can eventually explode according to my Hassy rep. He also told me that the camera only charges one battery at a time. Not quite sure how this works, but I always charged one at a time after one of mine swelled up.

The EL/M is a great workhorse. It should work for a long time.

It's such a good price that I might consider a CLA just to check the mirror alignment (most important) and bring everything up to spec. It should then work for a VERY long time.

While it is true that the batteries will swell and eventually explode if they are continually overcharged, it is not true that the camera will only charge one battery at a time.

If two batteries are charged in the camera, they will both charge at the same time.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

28 South Main Street #104

Randolph, MA 02368

(781) 963-1166

I guess the "one at a time" business is a recommendation, meant to prevent overloading a battery, which perhaps (?) could happen if two were charged at the same time, and one of them isn't that empty as you thought it was, but the other one is.

I think it is good practice to charge two batteries together only when they were used, and discharged together.

I have been using both batterys and charging both together and have never had any problems. I also cycle my batteries so I know they are in good shape just be sure and run down your batteries before you charge them. When you charge both it will take 24 hours with the Hassy charger. After you try your hassy let us know what you think.

Brandon

Thanks about the batteries, guys, but right now I have two ELMs in sight: that one, before 74 (still labeled EL), was revised in 2000. Sells for about US$230. The other one, year 81, sells for US$ 330. Both are cosmetically in mint condition, but I can only test the older one before buying it. If it were you, which one you would buy?

thanks again!