info Kiev 60

ron___5

I am also interested in KIev 60.THat is the only SYSTEM I can afford,

with Prisma.I want to get 50mm and 2.8/180 Carls Zeiss Jena Lens

Ja,even such 35 mm Lens is more expensive!

<p>

Can we share your personal Experience?

<p>

1.I heard it is very heavy and big,so I hesitat.Because I do mostly Landschaft and POrtait outside.Carl Zeiss Jena very heavy either.

So,How heavy is it?

I s the KIev convient to use?

<p>

2.How is the DOF ?

THanks!

To the last poster:

I ve used the Kiev 60 with both the 45 and 80mm lenses. The cameras are simple and heavily built. Although the camera is heavy, it also has a heavy mirror, so I d try to avoid hand held shots at slower shutter speeds. Most of the kits come with a TTL meter. It wasn t that accurate.

<p>

The optics seem to be good, but watch out for the mechanicals. I ve had two cameras. With the first one, the shutter was bad right out of the box. I sent it back and got a second. The problem that I had with it (and a Kiev 88 that I had) was FLARE! Things were OK when you were outside in bright sunlight. But if you had any strong sidelight near the edge of the frame, while working indoors, you d be in trouble. Try Kiev USA (http://members.aol.com/kievrpt/index.htm). Supposedly they have factory trained techs that go through the cameras to correct these problems. I bought the camera because it was soo cheap for a medium format, but I got tired or worrying about the flare. IF were to get another one, I d probably buy it from Kiev USA.

I just purchased a very rough Kiev 6C which need some wind system work (could use more but I am done fiddling with it) I have run two rolls through it now and have found the flare problem when shooting against the sun, not directly but against reflection off a lake. It even flared the adjacent frame. Is there any particular pieces of the camera that are responsible for the flare and what is generally used for fixing this problem. I would send it to KievUSA, but it is not worth it for the condition.

<p>

thanks for any help

I just got a Kiev 60, TTL Prism, 80/2.8 lens, WLF, and carrying case as a gift. It is a 1988 vintage and seems to be fine optically and mechanically. For all intents and purposes, this camera is a GREAT bargain system. It is, like many used and older cameras, not perrfect though. The wind mechanism has a VERY tempermental wind lever. It has fooled me and overlapped frmaes when I have not been paying attention to the tiny click that it gives just beyond the end of the stop. Cocking the shutter until this click is heard seems to work consistently to give even frames. The TTL meter has not been tested, but the case is large enough to fit a couple of rolls of film and my Gossen Luna Star F. Why use a questionable TTL when a good handheld meter does the job so much better?

I just thought of two other tips to getting even frame spacing. The cameras red dot to line up the film leader seems to throw of the frames about 3/4 of an inch too early. Advancing the film about 1 inch in a complete wind past the dot seems to give consistent results. That brings me to tip number two: Complete winds only. If you try to load the film in short strokes or by winding the take-up spool by hand, bad things happen. The sprocket gear seems to trip up, creating a grinding sound when you try to release the wind lever. You will get it to come back to the prewind position, at some cost to your sanity and a frame or so. It is a sound I never want to hear a camera make again!

• 4 months later...
I recently bought the Kiev 60 kit and an MC Flektogon Zeiss Jena 4/50 for wider shots. Heavy it is, but what a small price to pay for Medium format 6x6's. The TTL hasn't been reliable. I suggest a handheld meter. One problem I have had is a lack of sharpness when using shutter speeds of 60-1 with the standard 80mm lens. I always use a tripod and it's stable, but I still get a lack of clarity in distant objects. The Zeiss 4/50 lens wieghs about 500 grams. I'd love to hear from others about their Kievs. I turned down an 88 because of the bad rap it has. If you had a choice between a 60 and an 88 (for the same price and same "great" condition)I wonder if you'd choose the 60???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had my Kiev 60 for about a year now. I the standard 80mm, a 400 mm Enna, and I just picked up a 250mm Kiev Jupiter. The camera does make great photos. My slides have looked incredibly sharp. I have had problems with mirror vibration a shutter speeds around 1/60. I expect it is no different than many other single lens reflex medium format cameras. I will be purchasing one of the new mirror lock-up bodies when I get the cash together. I always use a hand held meter, the built in meter is kind of hard to use. The camera has not given me any problems in the year I have used it. I am considering selling my Nikon stuff. It never gets used.

<p>

Conclusion: I think the Kiev 60 is the way to go if you don't need through the lens metering.

For action I would probably go with something more like a Pentax 645.

• 2 months later...

Ron,

I answered your question about a month ago but it didn't seam to show up on this board so i'll give it another shot.

You can get a full Kiev 60 (and 88) manual for free !! Just go to the KALIMEX web sight at....www.dedal.cz/optics/operating_manuals/kiev-60_manual.htm . You'll also find just about all of the Kiev info. you'll need there.

• 3 months later...

I bought a Kiev 60 from a UK dealer earlier this year and I have used

regularly. Things to watch out for:

* The TTL meter is inconsistent, sometimes giving immaculate exposures

and sometimes not. You can't predict. Buy a Leningrad handheld meter

(about #24) to go with it and you won't have much trouble. I have

also used it with flash and a handheld flashmeter and exposures were

absolutely perfect.

* Winding on should be done in one smooth movemnent. The instruction

book does warn about this. Be careful if you are using a cable

release - frames can overlap.

<p>

* You may need to buy a tripod adapter (these cost about 40p in the

UK)

<p>

Positive stuff:

<p>

* If you use your handheld meter you can take off the prism and just

use the hood that comes with the kit. This reduces the weight quite a

lot!

<p>

* The lens (Volna) is extremely sharp.

<p>

* The focusing screen and bayonet mount are extremely easy to use.

<p>

* The Kiev is very easy to use, especially if you are used to 35mm SLR

(it's just bigger and heavier)

<p>

* The body appears to be well made and finished. I haven't had any

troubles with flare - the lenshood, supplies with the kit, seems to

knock most of it out.

<p>

I would welcome contact with any UK based Kiev 60 fans.

• 3 weeks later...

Intersting comment on the winding problem. I'm a Kiev 6c & 88 owner in Moscow (black cloth shutters - what are they? We get the original grotty stuff here!!) and I've had problems with overlapping frames on the 6C - otherwise a great set-up, for the tiny price.

<p>

I've just had the winder repaired by a Russian camera repairer - for the grand sum of $6 so I'm hoping for better luck.

<p>

Donald - I'm a Brit myself - shall make it back home eventually, I guess. What is the connection between the cable release and the frame problem?

<p>

thanks

<p>

Jason

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Read about your posts regarding mirror vibration problems with the Kiev 60. My Kiev-60 is the B.I.G. (Brenner Foto) version with the mirror damping mechanism modified -- the camera is extremely quiet and with very well damped mirror action. It's actually quieter than my Hassy!

B.I.G. or Roskam Optics in Holland can modify it for you for a few bucks. Solves the problem permanently. If you buy a new one from them the cameras are already in very good condition - including all the modifications.

Regards,

Andre

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On Delphi.com you can find a discussion group dedicated to Russian and Ukranian cameras.

I have 2 Kiev 60s with mirror lock up and one without MLU.

The waist level finder is wonderful for focusing and composing.

The cameras are a lot of fun to use.

I bought mine on EBAy from Mike Fourman in Atlanta. He is a pleasure to deal with.

Bob

Chicago

• 2 months later...
i just bought a kiev 60, it didnt come in the mail yet and i am debating wether to get the 30mm fisheye or the 45mm rectalinear. can someone tell me where i can see pictures made with each lens, i would like to see how wide the 45mm is, and how much distortion is in the fisheye. if you can send them to me (scanned) or it would be great if anyone knows about a web page where i can see a picture made with a kiev lens.

• 5 years later...