10D for weddings anyone

william_le

Does anyone out there use a 10D as the primary camera for weddings.

If so what are the largest print sizes you produce for the customer

and are they pleased with results.

I'm thinking of using one so that's why I ask. I'm thinking of using

a Canon I9100 printer. All comments would be very helpful. Thanks

Hi William, I'm not a wedding photographer, but I can tell you that 10D images enlarge better than 90 percent of the film images that I've shot, anyway. I wasn't expecting this when I got the camera; I figured A3 would be stretching it. But I've printed 13X19" on my Epson 2200 - and I'm not making this up - it hung right in there with a scanned 6X6 Provia chrome out of my Hasselblad that I shot of the same model at the same settings at the same time. I'm sure that, at some point, the MF slide or neg will beat it. But I haven't hit that point with the equipment I've got. Another cool thing about the 10D is that the noise is almost non-existant. At ISO 400 I'd need a loupe to see it. At ISO 800 it's still very acceptable and certainly better than any ISO 800 film I've ever used. So in low-light, you can quickly dial-up your ISO - even 1600 is useable - and not use a flash so much. If you feel that 13X19" is sufficient for most of your customers, then I think the 10D will surprise you - and I bet if you don't mention it, most clients won't even know it's digital. I wish I could show you an accurate pic of the two prints side by side, but you still couldn't tell from a post-able PhotoNet picture of the pictures. Perhaps you could rent one and try it? IMHO, it pays to use good Canon, "L" glass with the 10D. Best wishes . . .

I've done several weddings with the 10D with great results. I've printed pictures to 12 X 18 that looked awesome to both me and the happy couple. The only gotcha I've come across is that the picture has to be perfectly focused or the enlargement will really suffer.

I shot one and it worked great. I even used .jpg's (not enough memory yet to shoot all in raw). I just got back a cropped in 8x10 and it looks great. I would put it somewhere between my 35mm and medium format but way ahead on relieving stress for me during the wedding. BTW I used my 50mm F1.4 and studio lighting. One battery shot over 300 shots also.

I send my digital files via the net to Supra Color in Minneapolis. They are part of Burrell Color if you have heard of them. The results from this Pro lab are far better than from my local lab, but I pay for double for them. I usually shoot raw and convert to tiff, but this time I shot in .jpg because of memory limitations at the moment.