Mamiya Press' back on Polaroid 600 SE : is it possible ?

Alberto, I have heard of a company that was doing conversions at a steep cost. It was call something like "------- Solutions" I used to have the 600 SE camera and loved the lens quality and handling of it. You are better off getting a Koni Omega or Mamiya Universal if you want to shoot anything other than polaroids. Frank

There was an adapter made by Polaroid that would let you use a Mamiya 6x7 (non-pro-s) or the old Singer and Graphlex backs on the 600 SE. It is very particular to the 600SE, Mamiya Press equipment <i>will not</i> work on the 600SE (voice of experience, talking). These adapters are very hard to find. If you get one, the Mamiya backs hold the film much flatter than the Graphlex or Singer backs. <p>

Try fourdesigns.com and the graphic center, both in California. Graphic Center has a website also, but I don't recall the address (maybe graphiccenter.com?... too obvious?). Try searching.<p>

One of these outfits sent me a spec sheet about how to coincide the rangefinder lines with a 6x7 image area, which will come in handy, should you find one. Good luck... t

You can mount those "S"-shaped Mamiya Press rollfilm backs on the 600SE with a special adapter. I have been looking at one (in Munich, in a second hand store display window) for quite a long time (sells for $200 used WITH 6x7 back), but haven't decided yet. I use the 600SE for polaroid proofs only, so this is not an obligatory item for me.

This person seems to saying that you can take an M-frame or G-frame for the Universal and swap mounting hardware with a 600SE back. (Which explains why I've seen people selling 600SE backs without the mounting hardware.)

From Robert Monaghan's site:

(www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/mamiyauniv.html)

Newsgroups: rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Subject: Re: Lenses For Polaroid 600SE

Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999

Lenses for the 600SE are 75/5.6, 127/4.7 and 150/5.6 . The same optics were also available for the Mamiya Press. Lens mounts are very similar, but the bayonet tabs are different, making them

incompatible.

The backs are also very similar, only details of the back locking mechanism differ slightly.

Both the 600SE and the Universal Press need an adapter for using roll film backs. A Mamiya Press adapter can be adapted to the 600SE by switching parts from the 600SE pola back. Adapters made for

the 600SE also exist.

The 600SE on the table in front of me is a precision but rock-solid, rugged metal camera, in every detail as well built as its Mamiya Press Deluxe brother sitting right beside it. It is also heavier.

In use I prefer the 600SE because of its better viewfinder. The 65 and 50mm wide angles, retractable normal lens and back movements available with the Press Deluxe makes me want to keep both.

Regarding the comparison between 600SE and Mamiya Universal, I see a lot more similarities than differences. The age difference shows, but if the Universal had still been made, my guess is they would

have been virtually identical. They definitely belong to the same family of excellent and (at least in my corner of the world) underrated cameras.

Steinar

• 1 year later...

Here is as complete an answer to your question as I have been able to discover: To mount the Mamiya Press S-Shaped film holders on the Polaroid 600SE camera, you must have the Mamiya M adapter that has the mounting feet for the Polaroid 600SE. Mamiya made these adapters for Polaroid and they are marked on the top of the adapter as such. There are also M adapters that have been converted from the Mamiya standard to the Polaroid standard. These M adapters are not marked, but have the distinctive Polaroid mounting feet with the notch cut out of the middle of each mounting foot. The mounting feet for the Mamiya Press standard are solid all the way across. With the M adapter, you can mount the lever wind and knob wind (multi format) Mamiya Press series film holders. You can also mount almost any Graflex standard film holder on the Polaroid 600SE by using the Mamiya G adapter. The G adapter can be fitted with either the Polaroid or Mamiya mounting feet just like the M adapter. I have never encountered a G adapter with Polaroid markings. With the G adapter, you can mount Horseman, Arca Swiss, and Mamiya RB-67 - RB 67 Pro S holders. The Arca Swiss and Horseman film holders may require fitting to the G adapter. RB-67 and RB-67 Pro S film holders mount right to the G adapter without any modifications. The film holders for the RB-67 Pro SD can also be mounted if the G adapter and film holder are modified slightly. If you mount the M adapter to the Polaroid 600SE, you can also use all the accessories that Mamiya made to fit to the M adapter--such as the Right Angle Finder, Magnifying Focus Back, Focusing Hood, and Focusing Screen Holder. You can also use the cut film holders made to work with these items. If you use the G adapter with the 600SE, you can mount the Graflex 2X3 focus screen and cut sheet film holders made for the Mamiya RB-67. The choice between the M adapter and G adapter comes down to this. The M adapter and the Mamiya Press S shaped film holders are long and stick out the sides when mounted on the camera bodies. The lever wind film holders shoot either 120 or 220 film and come in either 6X7 or 6X9. The knob wind Model K film holders shoot only 120 film, come in either 6X7 or 6X9, but have masks for 6X4.5 and 6X6. The RB-67 film holders shoot either 120 or 220 and come in 6X7 or 6X4.5 only. The motorized RB film holder also fits the G adapter and it comes in 6X7 or 6X8. All of these film holders are smaller and sleeker than the longer film holders for the M mounting system. A Polaroid 600SE with a good RB-67 Pro S film holder is a fast, sleek camera for such a big frame. One other item deserves mention. With the G adapter, you can mount the Mamiya RB-67 70mm film holder and get 54 6X7 images without a reload. 70mm film is available at Adorama and is even sold in preloaded cartridges. Mamiya also made a Focusing Hood Model P for the Universal Press and the Polaroid 600SE. This hood mounts on the back of the camera body in place of the Polaroid film holder. It shows the full Polaroid Pack film image area in a fresnel lens. Mamiya also made an Extension Back set for both cameras for close up photography. I don't know if Mamiya ever made a set of Extension Rings for the Polaroid 600SE, but I would be surprised if they did not. Regardless, I will be soon producing a set of 5 extension rings for the Polaroid 600 SE. I will also be producing a 4X5 film frame for both cameras. The frame will have the standard spring back and accept all 4X5 sheet film holders and the Polaroid 545I back. A 4X5 back will also be produced for both cameras with the Graflex standard slide lock system. Of course M adapters and G adapters for the Polaroid 600SE are in stock. That is what I have learned since playing with both cameras. The Polaroid 600SE and its Mamiya Universal Press cousin are two of the best cameras ever made, especially if you like full control and no zzzzzzz,zzzzzzz,zzzzzz of electrical stuff when you are shooting. Camera bodies, lenses, and accessories restored to factory new mechanically are available. More information on film holders, adapters, etc is at http://members.home. net/gmhsint. Hope this helps. You are in for great fun. Tony Sansone

• 5 months later...

This is good info thanks guys. I just picked up in auction a Polaroid 600 SE with all three lenses and a Textronix scope camera (uses same film backs) plus a full box of film in a variety of sorts. All for a very very good price. :-)

I'm going to experiment some with the film (all past dated) and then look at getting more "current" film. Ideally I'd like to be able to use transparencies or negs in it. But the links and info so far have been great.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

As someone who purchased a 600SE last year expressly in order to use it to shoot 6x7, I can say that with the 'G' adapter the camera does take the RB67 back. With the standard 127mm lens you get a good full-frame image. But keep in mind:

- since the 6x7 negative is a smaller frame than Polaroid film, your effective angle of view with any given lens will be narrower (obvious I guess but I didn't think of it at the time);

- if you want to move up to 4x5 backs, while the adapters are available (via Tony Sansone and elsewhere), do the math first to make sure your lens will cover the entire image area. My guess is that for 2 out of the 3 available Polaroid lenses, you will get significant vignetting.

Happy shooting.

• 10 months later...