Elite chrome 100 pushed VS E.C 200 normal

louis_greene

Hi,

I live in Alaska and like to photograph the Northern lights. I am

curious about anyones experience using Elite Chrome 100 + 1 stop, VS

Elite Chrome 200 without the push. How do the grain, contrast and

color compare? I would love to hear true experience with it, but

speculations are also welcome! Thanks (The price with mailers and

mail order film will be near the same. It is a pure quality issue)

Louis

I routinely shoot E100GX at ISO 200 with great results, and it's in the same family as the consumer EliteChrome. While E200 is a good film, it doesn't have quite as nice colors. BTW, most places you have film processed will charge you for pushed film. Usually it's something like a dollar, but better check. One place near me wants ten bucks for a push! Needless to say, I send my film somewhere else.

Kent in SD

Have you considered a faster film? I like to capture more detail in the "curtains" (using shorter exposure times) but I have only used print films for this. Can anyone recommend a faster slide film for auroras? I'll admit, it's a tradeoff between detail in the aurora and grain. Having two cameras going, one with slow film and one with faster film would give you two versions to choose from. Are you still getting much activity up there? (I'm in California) During the peak a few years ago, we saw two major events... one from Glacier Point in Yosemite, and one from our own back yard in the city. We quickly drove North of town to get photos, but by the time we parked it was ending... some of the yellow/green streaks were actually above and behind us (that is not supposed to be possible this far South... these extended South of the "zenith") I've been checking the SOHO and POES sites and it's been an interesting year, so keep looking North (well in your case, just keep looking up)