Canon EOS Elan 7e or Canon EOS A2e

shawn_maguire

The A2e is older but marginally more 'professional'. Those features it has in common with the 7e it tends to do equal or better, with the exception of eye control.

The 7e is newer, and has a wider feature set, much improved ergonomics, and scores points over the A2e with things like eye control that actualy works.

In all the cameras are very much equals. You need to narrow down to a few specific features and make your desicion based on that.

I got a 7e shortly after they came out, and I love it. No regrets on making the same choice your looking at.

A2E, which I own: tougher, a little bulkier, a B type camera, meaning it doesn't do ETTL flash tricks and some other flash magic. No battery grip. Traditional worry about poorly constructed command dial, though it can be fixed. PC socket.

7E: Which my son owns. Yes battery grip that takes AAs, yes A-type flash. Not built as tough. Lighter weight, I believe, and smaller.

Hard decision, unless there's a feature in there on either side you just gotta have. I'd lean probably, toward the 7E for the flash tricks. And then get yourself a pair of 550EXs.

Bob

The two bodies are more similar than dissimilar: common user interface and basic feature set. They actually make a nice combo if you need 2 bodies.

However, the EOS 5/A2/A2E has better ergonomics than the Elan 7: more comfortable grip due to larger size and contouring (the Elan 7's grip digs into my finger joints) and a full set of duplicate controls for vertical shooting. Plus, the EOS 5/A2/A2E has more advanced features such as larger and brighter viewfinder, shiftable DEP mode, interchangeable focusing screens, auto zoom popup flash, near IR AF assist light, PC socket, faster top shutter speed and normal flash sync, and more sensitive low light AF and metering.

The Elan 7's main advantage is it's smaller size and weight--very important if you hike, bike or travel a lot. I've found the Elan 7's E-TTL has little or no advantage over the A2's A-TTL or TTL flash if you use on-camera flash. E-TTL doesn't show its muscle until you use wireless multiple Speedlites. Of course, both popup flashes are TTL only.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Shawn, I'd go with the A2. It has all of the features mentioned in the above posts, plus you can get a used one for a great price. I got mine off of ebay last year. I got the camera, verticle grip, 540ez flash and remote shutter release. I can't remembered what I paid but it wasn't much. I also have a Elan ll, but the A2 has more professional features.

Personally, I had to make the same choice about 18 months ago. As someone else mentioned, the A2e seems more professional. However, the 7e boasts wireless E-TTL capability, 7 AF points, high-speed FP flash sync, and better eye-controlled focus. And it actually turns speedlites' AF assist lights on!

<br><br>

Both are great cameras. Nevertheless, I went with the A2E (EOS 5) due to the following:

<br><ul>

<li> its spotmeter (the Elan 7e has none)

<li> its faster maximum frame rate (5fps vs. the 7e's 4fps)

<li> its higher maximum shutter speed (1/8000 vs. the 7e's 1/4000)

<li> its higher normal flash sync speed (1/200 vs. the 7e's 1/125)

<li> its pc socket (the 7e has none)

<li> mirror lock-up

<li> better low-light AF (down to -1 EV vs. the 7e's 1 EV)

<li> I like the feel of it, especially with the VG-10 vertical grip; it feels sturdier, stronger, and better-built.

</ul><br>Let us know which one you choose!