Canon EOS 10D + EF 28-135

Hi,

I am just getting started into making digital photography a serious

hobby, and am looking for some advice. After reading many reviews, I

have decided to buy the Canon EOS 10D as my first SLR camera. When I

was younger, I used to use one of my dad's Minolta SLRs, and I

remember loving it. Also, creatively I'm running out of room with

our current point and shoot digital camera.

Now, given the price of the camera, I do not have money to buy a

bunch of prime lenses. I'd like my first lens to be somewhat multi-

purpose, so that I can take it on vacation, and use it in a variety

of circumstances.

The lens I'm looking at buying is the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

USM lens. Other than lacking wide-angle, it seems to fit my needs

nicely.

What is your opionion?

Thanks

With the crop factor of 1.6, the range of this lens will be about 45-216mm; you won't be able to shoot really wide angle photos. Only you can decide if you'll miss the wide angle setting or not...

I don't have the EOS 10D, but an EOS 30 (Elan 7E) with the 28-135 IS USM lens. I'm very happy with it, the IS works great in low light and thanks to the USM autofocus is fast and quiet. In my opinion it's an excellent all-round lens.

Toine,

The 28-135mm IS is an excellent choice for a general purpose lens. Obviously you will be missing the wider angles but you can rectify that in the future with the 17-40f4 L or something like the Sigma 15-30mm.

Some people will tell you to get primes - 24/28mm, 50mm, 85mm etc. - but in practice the 28-135 will give you the flexibility to carry one lens when travelling or just taking pictures and enable you to explore the effect of different focal lengths. If you find yourself constantly using it at one extreme or the other of the range that will tell you where to go next - either prime or zoom (tele or wide).

You will also be told you should use a tripod for landscapes - true, but its not always practical and thats when the IS can really help when you need to hand hold at slower speeds. The combination of being able to crank up the ISO setting on the 10D and the use of IS means you can capture shots you just wouldn't be able to capture otherwise.

I have a bag full of primes, but in practice use my zooms most of the time - either 17-40f4 L or 28-135IS or 70-200f4L depending on the situation.

I'm using the 10D together with the EF 28-135 IS USM and the EF 17-40.

Both lenses are great and perform well with the 10D. Even with the 1.6 factor the EF 28-135 is my favorite lens. I use the 17-40 only for specific jobs, like indoor architecture or some panorama shots, where you need the wide angle.

>> "I do not have money to buy a bunch of prime lenses".

The 28-135 is a very good lens but for the same kind of money you can get 28/2.8 + 50/1.8 + 135/2.8. Faster, lighter and optically better. However, only a zoom can apply as a "multi- purpose" lens from the simple fact that it has many focal lengths.

I made the 10D decision a few weeks ago, I also was on a tight budget and decided to

get a cheap 28-135mm 3.8-5.6 Sigma multi purpose lens, it also sports a macro

feature. I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting. for sure it's not a super lense,

but it does it's job for a while ('til I can afford something state-of-the-art). For now it

was more important to cover the wide angles and I got a Sigma 15-30 a few days

ago. A killer lens!!!

Toine,

I recently purchased a 10D. My two starter lens buying choices were the 28-105USM and 28-135USM w/ IS. I was lucky enough to have tested the 28-105 with fifty or so shots. Because of some camera shake, some of the pictures were a little blurred. After thinking about the price differences, I went ahead and got the 28-135. I haven't noticed any blurred pictures from camera shake yet(400 or so shots taken) and have been extremely satisfied with the quality. It's well worth the money for an all purpose lens. (got mine for $390)

Robert

Toine:

I just went through evaluating the 28-135IS vs its competition - I wanted a single WA-TELE zoom for a vacation coming up (I have a fairly complete set of Canon L/non-L primes and zooms). After reading, using, etc, I went with the Tamron 24-135 due to its 24mm wide end, its handling, and, the quality it seems to have. It is no L lense, but then again neither is the 28-135IS. Remember on the 10D you have the option of turning up the ISO - so the IS feature is nice but not totally required (IMHO).

good luck!

dave

I often use the EF 28-135 IS USM with my EOS 10D. It's a great combo, covering normal to moderate telephoto and IS feature is nothing short of amazing. However, this is a heavy and bulky combo as well and really puts a dent in my shoulder! You also consider the EF 24-85 3.5-4.5 USM. It's just as sharp, much smaller & lighter but offers a zoom range of moderate wide to telephoto (about 35-135 in 35mm terms), a more useful travel and walk around range for most folks.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I think Derek touched all the bases, but let me emphasize that if you don't get that IS you WILL lose lots of shots to handshake, much more than you realize, even at higher (e.g., 1/125 or 1/250) shutter speeds.

While it might be argued that you can check your results on the LCD window, you really can't tell that much from it, as far as fine details go, and of course the histogram won't let you know the shot is shaky. Quite disappointing when you think you have some great shots, get back home, download them and then....

I've probably shot close to 5000 slides with the 28-135 IS and haven't thrown out 50 due to handshake, this down to as low as 1/4 and 1/2 sec. (good and braced of course)

For general vacationing, hiking, etc, anyplace you don't plan to take the tripod in advance this is THE lens to get. Oh, yeah, and it does have a sort of macro ability

I originally bought the 24-85, seemed to me the best tradeoff of focal lenght and it is

kinda of light. The lens is not bad but at the longer focal lenghts I was getting lots of

blurry pictures. It was not the AF failing, just I wasn't steady enough... I have a 28-

135 IS now and I'm an happy man.

I also suggest a 17-40L and a nice prime for indoor fast action, like the 35/2

I can thoroughly recommend the IS 28-135 (even though it's around £450 now in the uk). I also have the 24-85 usm and I can honestly say that the 28-135 is a sharper lens. The results I am getting with my EOS 10d/28-135 combination are really excellent, rather like in years gone by where you would be envious of the pro's medium format results. I know the purists will tell you that film resolves higher but what this combination does in terms of light and colour for me makes a far superior photograph. However, the 'dust' issue seems to be a real concern amongst owners who have noticed specs creeping into the lens. I just simply try and take care of the lens by storing it in a suitable case when not in use and perform a basic 'clean up' at the end of the 'shooting' day. The 28-135 is usm is my first choice for everything from general snapshots to weddings and portraits.