Mounting 6 x 6 Slides for Projection

owen_evans

Good day to one and all,

I am new to mounting my 6 x 6 slides and I am having problems. I have

purchased both GEPE glassless and glass slide mounts and a super

sharp pair of Henckels scissors to cut the film. My problem is the

the film won't stay put in the slide mount. It is as if the mount is

too large. I get the slide centered and then snap the mount shut;

pick up the slide and the film moves about in the mount.

Any tips on this subject will be be much appreciated.

Thankyou,

Owen

FWIW, try (in no particullar order) to fit film under the little metal tabs on the mount, put more pressure on the mount to make sure it's tight, get a mounting press (I found I'm breaking way too may AN mounts if trying to use hands to close the mount).

max

Are you sure your slides are turned the right way around? Make sure, that the two edges you put under the tabs/cut-outs in the mount are NOT the same two edges cut by your scissors. Use the "factory-edges" of the 120/220 film, they fit perfectly into the mount.

Just a tip: mount in the grey mount with the slide facing right-side up (non-mirrored) and add the white mount on top. This way the white part should face the projector lamp - reducing the heat in the mount. Good luck!

Use of Wess TR 2040 VR Punch and "VR" 6x6 mounts eliminates this problem. Also, Wess makes a greater variety of mount apertures and glass combinations and they are made in USA.

Gepe is excellent, but nothing holds film in place better than pins.

Call for a catalog 1800-487-9377 I just use their stuff: I don't work there.

Neither do I work for Wess but this is the slide brand I do clearly prefer, be it medium format or 35 mm. Wess is the brand of slides that professional audio visual producers use almost exclusively. Wess mounts are quicker, more accurate, and more reliable to work with than any other brand I have ever tried. Wess is not just a mount, it is a whole system that satisfies even demanding professional needs.

Owen, do your films move about in both Gepe's glass and glassless mounts? I've not used glassless but have mounted many Gepe 6x6 anti-Newton glass mounts and not had slippage. And I don't insert the film under the metal tabs either. I like to move the film around until the desired edge to edge image is achieved (which is laborious, however). I press the two sections together by hand on a hard surface, very firmly, and check mount edges for tightness. tightly clamped edges and the two glass surfaces hold the film in place. The two entries above on Wess mounts are interesting and I'll follow up on that - but I seem to recall that Wess mounts are more expensive. But if they do the job quicker that would be desireable in what is an inherently time consuming process.

Doug Foster