M7 NON FLARE VF

imran_ahmed

FWIW I have an M7 in the 2887*** serial number range and it

almost certainly does have the 'non flare' finder. Compared with

my M6TTL's, the M7 in the same flare inducing lighting shows a

vast improvement. If I try really hard I can get the M7 patch to flare

slightly at the edge but there is no complete white-out like I can

achieve all too easily with either of my M6TTL's.

Imran:

You're just not going to get a straight answer on this one, because nobody knows. There seems to be good information out there that Leica continued to intermittently use the old stock after the new finders (with the condenser added) were released by way of closing them out. One thing�s for certain: the new non-flair finder was not available until after 2880xxx when the MP was released, so any number prior with the new finder has to be an upgrade. Some here have convincingly provided information indicating the M7 finders were upgraded from 2885xxx. Others have reported to have cameras with numbers higher than 2885xxx with the old finder. This would seem to bear out my assertion that old finders were being used up in higher numbered cameras.

Remember, the M7 was released with coated glass in the windows, which was intended to minimize glare compared to the M6TTL finder (which never had coated windows). What I�m saying here is just because someone might assume they have the new finder, this might not actually be the case.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Michael:

Perhaps there is a record of your camera being upgraded or maybe the number on your camera was produced out of order. In any case, a Leica technician should be able to tell you for sure if you have the new finder without taking it apart. Personally, I would want to know for sure. After some recent personal experiences with Leica, I don�t have that warm and fuzzy feeling just because they tell me something is or isn�t.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

• 2 years later...