What lens' for a Fujifilm GX617

david_a._wong

As my current portfolio has lots of landscapes and city-scapes I'd like to continue in that arena. To date, equipment bag consists of solely of a multitude of 35mm cameras and this will be my FIRST panoramic. As such I have no point of reference to compare it to. Why do you think it would be so strange, Wayne? Did YOU always know if you preferred chocolate ice cream over vanilla before you ever even TASTED ice cream?

:) Thanks!

Hi David,

I agree that this sounds odd. The GX617 is a very special camera, for an 35mm expert at least. A logical step from 35mm is the Hasselblad Xpan, which uses the same film or a Mamiya 7II and crop the 120 rollfilm.

However, you will get a true panoramic effect if the focal lenght is in the order of film heigth x 1.5, so the image cropped to a square gives a normal impression. The Noblex cameras work like that. For the GX617, this would be about 85mm focal lenght, therefore 90mm or 105mm are quite right. Generally, the shorter the better because you can crop the image later.

Have a look to a Hasselblad Xpan, a Linhof 612PC and the Noblex cameras before you decide to buy a GX617. Regards

"Did YOU always know if you preferred chocolate ice cream over vanilla before you ever even TASTED ice cream?"

Nah, just went ahead and tasted both. The point I was trying to make was that this is not a very sensible question for us to answer for you without a lot more information about intended use. All I can say is that if I was buying a 617 I'd get the widest lens possible for it, now is that really any help to you ?

I'm not a GX617 owner, but I do like things wide...

Since the 105mm lens would give you the same horizontal angle of view as a 22mm lens in 35mm (or 35mm lens in 645), it's not much of a wide angle in 35mm terms. The 90/5.6 gets you down to 19mm.

Also, I was looking at a friend's portfolio of TX-1 shots (with the 45mm lens) on the Fuji rangefinder site, and I was struck that he didn't have enough space in the vertical direction on many of his horizontal shots. So for that reason also, I'd go for the wider lens. The 90mm may be the widest of those lenses, but it's still quite a long lens compared to, say, a 35mm in 645, so you will have lots of magnification on the film relative to wide angle lenses in 35mm and 645 for lovely detail rendition.

See the "rogerama" folder at www.fujirangefinder.com. I especially like his vertical shots. His comment, however, is that he likes the 45mm lens, and uses his Widelux for extreme panorama stuff.

So you should probably ignore my rambling.

Rent the camera for the weekend, it's a very specialized

formatand it will take you a while to see. Panoramic images

need to flow from one side of the frame to the other L-R. The

90mm for 617 is not as wide as the 35mm in 645 (21mm in

35mm terms) I've used them side by side, it's looks closer to a

24mm . The 617 format is 3:1 ratio unlike the x-pan so your

making different types of images, also you do not get that

squashing of everything in the frame with the 617 wide angles

you get with 35mm. One thing that will frustrate you is having to

keep the camera or film plane completely level, this is where

shift would be great. Many times you see an image set up but

you want a bit more sky or you want to avoid something in the

foreground, you can cheat with your 35mmm and tilt the camera

this won't work with the 617.

There is a company out the making a shift option for the Fuji can't

remember the name, someone here will know it. So rent before

dropping $3-4000 you'll be glad you did, just loading the camera

will be an adventure coming from 35mm.

Hi David,

I specialize in 6x17 photography and use the Fuji GX with 90, 180, and 300 lenses. I first bought the 90 and until I learned how best to use the camera shot mostly with it. I then added the 180 followed by the 300. I now use the 180mm for 70% of all my images. 20% for the 90mm and the 300mm is nice to have but used more sparingly at 10%.

The 180 is the closest view to your eyes and is the strongest to compose with and is the sharpest of the lenses. The 90 is great for interiors and for many landscapes. The 105 is also nice but to me too close to the 90.

I would second the recommendation about the xpan. It is an easier transition from 35mm and a great camera. The Fuji is really only at it's very best on a solid tripod with a very experienced hand. My 2 cents.

You can see many examples on my website. I'd be happy to give you lens information for each shot you are curious about. Good Luck with your panoramic images.

Robb Williamson

www.williamsonimages.com