70-200f4L on Rebel 2000

chris____

Hello,

I've been debating whether to upgrade my body (from Rebel 2000) or

purchase a new lens, and am leaning toward the 70-200f4L. Anyone with

any experience using this lens with a Rebel 2000? How does the lens

balance on the body? I currently use a 50f1.8 and 28-105f3.5-4.5 and

am often wishing for longer focal length.

Also, I've been finding it difficult to find this lens used and am a

bit surprised at used prices (about 500USD) compared to new (about

540USD)--how much should I expect to pay for one in good condition?

Thanks so much

You are on the right track. Your photography will be more improved by using high

quality optics than it will by upgrading the camera body. If the Rebel functions for

you, then why upgrade. The camera body is just the box to hold film, unless you need

a specific function that the Rebel doesn't have. Having said that, the 70-200f4L is a

pretty heavy lens, and it does not include a tripod collar (the 70-200f2.8L includes a

collar). The Rebel has a cheap plastic lens mount. If you are not careful, you could

snap the lens mount off with this lens attached, particularly if you mount it to a tripod

using the camera base. I highly recommend you get a tripod collar for the lens (which

takes the weight off the camera, and its plastic lens mount).

The 70-200f4L is a relatively new lens. It has only been out a couple of years. It has

had excellent reviews and is very popular. So it is not surprising that there are not

very many of them on the used market. If you come across a really good price, I

would be highly suspicious as to its condition or legitimacy.

Chris, similar to your concern about lens price to body price ratio, i posted in a thread earlier to this and expressed my exact dilemma.

It's certainly true that we can expect better pictures with better optics but it's still hard to justify purchasing middle/high end lenses for a relatively low end camera (i own a rebel too).

Hi Chris, I guess I'm qualified to answer this question since I have purchased a used 70-200/4l not long ago and I also own a rebel2000.

Yes, you are right the used prices for this lens is pretty high. I got mine for $500 (6 months old and still with 6 months warranty) from ebay almost a year ago. I've been searching all over for a deal and ended up with this one. It turned out this lens is sharper than other L lenses I have, even wide open at f4. I've been very happy about the purchase.

Why the used prices so high? This lens offeres excellent optical quality and build quality and a great range for versatility. It is also the cheapest L lens currently offered by Canon. The demand for this lens is very high. All these drive the prices upward. Like I always say to 70-200/4L buyers, you'd be lucky if you find one below $450. I think $500 is a good deal if it's in like new condition and comes with warranty.

As far as balance goes, I don't see a problem, though I rarely use mine on Rebel 2000. It's going to be front heavy. That's for sure. So if you use it on a tripod, you'll probably want to get the tripod ring($70).

Good luck.

Snap the lens mount off? What are you talking about? I seriously doubt you will snap the lens mount off unless you balance the camera on a ledge and sit on the lens. The tripod mount will help you balance the camera/lens out as well as make it easier the compose a shot but it is definitely not an necessity as with some heavier longer lenses.

Regardless, the 70-200f4 is pretty light and completely safe to handhold or mount to a tripod from the base of a camera. I do have a tripod mount for mine b/c it is easier to use on the tripod. The tripod mount is the same one that goes to the 300f4 and the old 80-200f2.8.

Good luck and let's not sit on any lenses.

Go for the glass. Do you think you would have asked about the suitability of using the lens on the Rebel 2000 if you had been leaning towards say the 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 or 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM instead of the 70-200 f/4L? Both those lenses are not that dissimilar in weight. The 70-200 f/4L certainly won't strain the mount, and you'll find that you can hand hold quite easily. If you only have a flimsy tripod you might need to upgrade that if you don't add a tripod ring. But for sure, you will enjoy the stunning quality of the lens.

Lenses are much more important than bodies.

I've got the 70-200f4L and I'm very happy with it.

Compared to my old 75-300 f4-5.6 it's stunning, pretty sharp, contrasty and with a very smooth blurr (boketh?).

I use it with two EOS30/33's, the verticle grip help a lot.

Having siad that it's not that much bulkier or heavier then the 75-300.

I paid £380 for a secondhand mint example, new ones go for £580 plus over here.

Get the lens first then start saving for a body with a metal mount, EOS33 is ideal.

Just a note for people who are in the market for this lens such as myself.

broadway photo has them for $509 - http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=cn70200usm $529 (-$20 canon mail in rebate), brand new, 21 day

return, 1 year canon warranty

B&H had 2 of these lenses in 10 condition (used but apears as new)for $450 2 days ago. I think they have sold them already though.

-Mr Thrift

Hi Chris,

I am using this lens on my EOS 1 (manu 1990). Whilst i am unable to comment on it's combination with Rebel 2000, I have 100 % confidence with the glass ! Most of my close portraits are shot with this lens. I bought it new for 630 US three years ago.

<i>"If you are not careful, you could snap the lens mount off with this lens attached, particularly if you mount it to a tripod using the camera base." </i> <b>8u115h!t</B> Please post proof!<p>

Broadway Photo in NY has less than good <a href=http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2>reviews</a> on this site. <p>

--

Purchase the lens first. Have had this lens for about 6 months and it will make a perfect compliment to your existing lens. For day trips I grab it and my 50mm f1.8 Use it both on my Rebel XS and Elan 7e. While 70-200 is better balanced on my 7e it's not bad on the Rebel. For flash photography you will need an external flash. The lens (especally with the hood attached) will create a semi-circular shadow in the bottom middle of the frame when using the internal pop-up flash. Later down the road you can upgrade to a body such as the 7e (or go digital the d300 or d10). If you find you need greater reach you can get the 1.4 teleconvertor and still have autofocus.

I never understand such issues... Balancing? Distroy the lens mount of the body? Well, I'm using Rebel 2000 with 70-200/2.8L (yes, the much more heavier version) without any problem for more than 3 years. I never had "balancing" issues (I use my camera to take photos, not to compare weights or something). I always hang my camera with this lens monted, on my shoulder, and walking for hours - and the plastic lens mont is still in its place, intact. I even mounted this combo on tripod by puting the camera on the tripod head plate, and nothing hapened. Though, I used a Velbon tripod with Arca Swiss head and RRS plates (yes, I have a RRS plate adapted for my Rebel :)) Heck, I even droped once Rebel+70-200/2.8 and everithing was fine...

keep the Rebel (4 now) and buy the lens .. you'll never look back!

I have this lens on my Elan 7 ... just love it!!! I also tried it on a Digital Rebel .. also loved it!! All I can do is echo what the others have said here, its an amaaazzinggg lens.. the photos I've taken with it are soooo sharp and contrasty!! and its not too heavy for a whole day of hiking/shooting

go 4 it!

Be careful if you buy an used 70-200 F4 l.

I bought one last week in france, used but in mint conditions (like new)and discovered the following day (I have an EOS 300 digital)that the left side of the images was, in all possible technical conditions, slightly blurred.For confirmation, i did a test with a newspaper on the wall. No doubts...

I returned it immediatly and bought a new one. Absolutely Perfect.A great lense.

Eric