Thoughts of F3Hp

ky2

No, this is not another "I'm selling my Nikon to move to Canon"

thread ;) I'm in love with my Fm3a, and yet have thoughts of getting

an F3hp to complement it. Does this make any sense? Will that make

me want to ditch my Fm3a later? I rarely use flash photography.

Cheers,

I consider my F3HP and FM2N to be excellent complements to each other. Neither seems redundant.

One reason for that, however, is the red LED meter readout of the FM2N, making it ideal for low light photography. If you find the FM3A readout difficult to see in low light you won't like the F3HP much better.

OTOH, the high eyepoint finder is what makes the F3HP such a pleasure to use. Even tho' I don't wear eyeglasses (other than for reading) being able to keep a little distance between me and the camera makes it faster and more flexible to use. My peripheral vision is better and I can respond more quickly to changing situations because the camera isn't plastered against my eye socket.

If you wind up adding the MD-4 motor drive you'll probably leave the pair attached more or less permanently, as I have. They go together well, tho' the couple make for a heavy brick of a camera. That's when you'll really appreciate the FM3A - for those occasions when you don't want to lug the heavy artillery.

Chilling, Mike. It's a slippery slope, and the F3 was my first 'backward glance' at quality F cameras.

As anybody who regularly reads this forum will know, I think an F3 is a pretty good camera though it has its quirks.

You may end up ditching your FM3a when you see how 'easy' the viewfinder image is on an F3 (HP or not). On the other hand, the meter on the FM3a (match needle) is more intuitive.

If you're into macro, the 6x finder for the F3 is a remarkable tool.

Hi Yaron,

The F3HP is a great body. Lots of accessories and screens. It's a joy to use. I'd recommend the MD-4 motordrive, but then that's just me. There will be no reason to ditch your FM3A, it's always nice to have a back up, or load one with B&W film, one with slide etc.

Good luck, they are fine cameras

Rob

Lex, careful now, you know how tempting your recommendations become =)... I never tried a motor drive on my fm3a, I kinda like the manual-everything (inc. film transport) feel, and I don't see much need to zip through 5 frames per second. Is the viewfinder that much better?

Rob, you've mentioned that 6x finder, is that similar to the waist-level finders MF cameras have?

And Josh-- It's beyond hope for me. I'm a tech-fugitive: sold my EOS/3 for a DSLR, and then sold that keeping my then-backup Fm3a. The F100 is a great camera, yes, but a little of an overkill (especially when an F3hp can be had for around $400 nowdays).

Yaron,

Like Lex, I have the FM2n and the F3HP. Previously I've used the FE and FE2 (both with match-needle metering, of course). And I also own the N90s (and Nikkormat ELW). <p>

Of all of them, I prefer the F3. I prefer it because of its superb viewfinder, but also because of its build quality, which is a step above FM/FE cameras. It feels better in use, and I know I can rely on it. (And, since I have the skills to use it, it's actually faster for me, in most situations, than is my N90s.) <p>

The only thing about the FM2n that I don't particularly like is its LED meter readout. I agree with the previous poster who said that the match-needle metering is more intuitive - and, surprizingly, I seldom had too much problem seeing it in low-light situations. Its the one thing I miss my FE/FE2 cameras for. I think Nikon made, overall, the right decision, in its choice of metering readout for the FM3A.<p>

If you choose to get an F3HP, I think you'll be pleased. As to whether it will turn you away from your FM3A, I doubt it. The cameras are different enough from each other that I think you'll enjoy them equally.

Don't do it; you'll risk abandoning your FM3a for the F3HP.

The F3HP viewfinder

is much, much, much nicer if you wear glasses, because you

can easily see all four corners of the frame, and it shows

100% of what will be on the negative, bright and clear.

It's only a little nicer if you don't wear glasses. In

the FM3a's defense, the FM3a has the nicest meter display Nikon

ever designed (at least for bright light use). The F3HP's

exposure information isn't presented as well.

<p>

The F3HP is much better built than the FM3a. The manual

film advance crank is the silkiest, smoothest film advance

I've ever felt on any camera, ever. And those ball bearings

in the film transport aren't wasted when you put the motor drive

on; the F3HP/MD4 will shoot more rolls of film on eight AA

batteries than just about any other motor driven camera.

<p>

Speaking of the motor drive, it's a wonderful addition to the

F3HP. OK, I've only shot a half-dozen short sequences on

continuous at around 5fps, and I could live without that.

That's not makes the

motor drive nice. The nice thing is that you never have to

take the camera away from your eye to advance the film, and

you never miss a shot due to forgetting that the camera wasn't

wound. As soon as you press the release for one shot, you're

ready for the next right away. I use the MD-4 any time I

can tolerate its bulk, which is most of the time. Plus it

sounds and feels really cool.

Of course, it's nice that the F3HP works beautifully without the

MD-4 when you want a lightweight, small package.

<p>

The F3HP is my all-around favorite 35mm SLR. Everything

that's on it is useful, and everything that's useful

is on it. It meters with every Nikon lens ever made

(except the silly series "G" stuff).

It's well integrated, with nice ergonomics, a beautiful

viewfinder that can be swapped for a waistlevel one,

really rugged construction, and battery lifetime

measured in years.

<em>"Rob, you've mentioned that 6x finder, is that

similar to the waist-level finders MF cameras have?" --Yaron

Kidron<br>

</em><br>

The 6x High Magnification Finders are like a 50/2.0 lens looking

down on the viewing screen. The finder image looks to be 6x9 inch

and its very bright. Precise focusing is made very easy. It

can be used with the M and C screens to focus precisely with dim

macro lenses, microscopes and telescopes. It has a built in

diopter correction of -5 to +3. Some might consider the 6x

finders similar to the waist level finders but its so much

better I dont. The image is reversed right to left like a 6x6

TLR but its much like looking at the ground glass of a 5x7

inch view camera with a very fast and bright lens. Its

upright like a TLR not upside down like a view camera. The eye is

held close to the exit pupil when viewing so in that way Its

dissimilar to a TLR or view camera. The 6x finder is probably

similar to the stovepipe finders for Hasselblads.<br>

<br>

There are four models. The DW-2 was first and fits the F2. By

removing the name plate from the DW-2 it can be mounted on a

Nikon F. The next is the DW-4 designed for the F3 followed by the

DW-21 for the F4/F4s and DW-31 for the F5. Except the DW-2 that

fits both the F2 and the F they are not interchangeable between

camera models. The DW-21 and 31 have provision for a remote SC-24

TTL Cord that works with the spotmeter in those bodies. The shoe at

the end is like the SC-17 TTL cord.

I got my F3HP a couple days ago along with a 50mm 1.8 ai and 28mm 2.8 ais. I've shot 2 rolls with it so far and I absolutely love it. The LCD readout is a bit quirky as others have mentioned, but if that's the biggest compromise I have to make with the camera I'll have no problems with that. Especially since I've been eyeing a Minolta meter. I don't have the Fm3a though, but from what other's have said they like it just as much.

matt

Do it! I�ve got an F5 and an F100 and I�m still quite inclined to take an FE2 or FM2n or perhaps a pair.

---

Motor drives? Mine are always set for continuous at 3~5 frames per second and I almost never shoot burst but rather squeeze off single frames. Often people pose stiffly and you shoot one frame then they relax and give a natural smile. With a motor drive you are ready. The third shot may be an ear to ear grin and with kids the fourth usually features a tongue sticking out, great fun!

They are obviously a must for sports or action but you don't have to shoot fast and waste film, again like photos of family and friends you are always ready especally if you need two shots in quick succession.

I'm hesitant to post this because the price is higher than what an F3 can be had for on

eBay, or maybe a bargain at KEH. BUT, I do know where there is a MINT F3HP w/ MD-

4, and Nikon batttery charger. There is also a selection of lenses up to 300mm,

including a TC. Everything is in the original boxes, and while I haven't seen the

lenses, I have seen the F3, and I asked if it was new, as it looks that good. Everything

is priced separately except for the F3, as it includes the MD-4 and charger. It's not

mine, but if anyone is interested, they can contact me privately, and I will tell them

where it is. If I had the bucks, it would already be mine.

David hit the high points on the 6x finder, but I'll add a little. The 6x finders, as David said, are like a high quality lens for a viewfinder. The waist level finders are like 'naked screens'. A waist level finder is fine for zone focusing and composing at awkward attitudes (like way down low or inverted overhead). If you need 'serious evaluation' of focus, nothing beats the 6x (though I haven't tried it with an aerial screen yet).

The first time I used a 6x, I was running a 105/2.8 AFD macro at the seashore in daylight between 1:1 and 1:2. Subject was a tidepool, lit by direct sun and a styrofoam picnic plate I was using for 'fill'. When I looked through the viewfinder, my eye 'hurt', like I needed sunglasses. This thing is seriously bright and detailed, just the thing when you're probing effective apertures of f/8 and slower and trying to place the plane of focus precisely.

-- (I'm learning this trick from David, a 'separator'...)

The F3/MD-4 with its dedicated Ni-Cad pack is a tad too fast for me to leave it on 'continuous' all the time. I cannot consistently crank off just 'one frame' while it is in continuous. Having said that, 'max frame rate' is a pretty good indication of 'recovery time' in single frame mode. The F3/MD-4 is the fastest camera I have shot with; much faster than my F4, a little faster than my F100. I have not shot much with an F5.

Similar to David, I'll line up people shots, and it's like, 'blink', 'blink-blink', 'blink', 'blnk-blnk-blnk'. In the space of 4-5 seconds, I will have taken 5-6 'reaction shots'. It's not quite the same as 'spray and pray'; with a very quick camera you can actually evaluate in between and 'choose your moment'.

I use a F5 but had a F3hp for many years before selling it. Autofocusing is great if your eyesight isn't that great but I really miss the F3. It was rugged enough to ice climb with and the eye relief is great. One of my favorite cameras, never failed. I also had a FM2 but I always favored the F3hp overall.

Hi Yoran,

I have both, F3HP and FM3a. I love the F3, with the HP (I wear glasses), I sometimes use the waist level viewer for street photography (trying to be less conspicous), and for still lifes.

The FM3a is lighter and smaller, and you can buy it new. I had two F3HPs, but one was stolen, so I bought the FM3a. I like them both, but if I could have bought a new F3HP to replace the stolen one, I would have, in lie of the FM3a.

All in all they are great cameras.

If you have any other questions please email me at gr84kidz@netvision.net.il

Regards,

Yehuda

Yaron, I did sell my Nikons to move to Canon, but reading your thread about the F3HP has triggered a pang of regret! If you wear glasses there is nothing in the camera world outside of a 10"x8" and a dark cloth to compare with the viewfinder experience of an F3HP. It turns photography into a visit to the cinema, where the world glides by in front of you as if it were in Technicolor.

Once you try an F3, you'll probably ditch the FM3A. The F3 has the most wonderful finder -- and the crucial difference compared to the FM's and FE's and indeed most other SLR's is that the finder shows 100% of the actual image. If you compose very closely, you won't be able to live without it once you try it.

The F3's meter readout is awful -- a low contrast LCD with a PITA tiny fingernail-breaking backlight switch. I believe however that this is its only flaw -- otherwise, the F3 is simply the perfect manual focus SLR.

If only there were a version with Leica R 3-cam lens mount . . .

David,

You're right about the more relaxed poses of people shots. Most of my people subjects relaxed more and have that more natural smiles after the first "official" shot. Without my MD-12, I wouldn't have been able to capture those "more natural" moments with my FM3A.

Yaron,

I have not owned or used an F3 before but back when I started shooting, I didn't have enough to get the F3. So I got the FG, then the FA then went into photographic hiatus. Then came back with the FM2n and the F80 and finally the FM3A.

Whichever body you get, get that MD4.