Arca Swiss how good are they (is it worth it?)

tim_atherton2

Apparently, the function carriers are a bit different on the Basic, the film/gg 4x5 w/fresnel has a different catalog number than the f-line, and it doesn't have the telescoping rail. Not having the telescoping rail makes it more of a challenge to put in a backpack.

According to a B&H catalog, the Basic contains an 8.5cm Extension Bracket (042108), 40cm monorail (041140), function carrier f-line Basic front (051000), function carrier f-line Basic rear (051001), format frame 4x5 f-line front (062000), format frame 4x5 f-line rear (062001), film/gg 4x5 w/fresnel (080010), and standard 38cm 4x5 synthetic bellows (072040).

For comparative purposes, at the time, B&H sold three cameras for the following prices: Discovery at $1345, Basic at $1890, and f-line at

$2500.

There's a photograph of the F-Line 4x5 Basic at The F-Stops Here:

http://www.thefstop.com/equipment/new/arca/cs2.html

As for the Classic F-Line, there's not a camera on the market that I would prefer to have for my use. It's a great camera. It's intuitive, moderate in weight, easy to stow, and very high quality.

As to the Basic, it has the international graflok back and geared focusing drives. It may not accept some attachments on the back. (Not sure.) My only concern would be the Basic's ability to backpack.

But even here, I'm wondering if the 8.5cm extension bracket would enable one to purchase and use a 15cm rail for backing the camera onto this rail so that it could be more easily stored in a backpack. I wouldn't think one would want to put the camera in a backpack, if it weren't on a rail.

I'll echo the comments already expressed; Arca Swiss cameras are really a treat to use. I have the introductory Discovery and I can't imagine needing more (wanting is another matter).

As has been pointed out, the only drawback is the large lensboard size, but that's nothing that an adapter couldn't easily handle.

I don't know prices for used F Basics, so you might want to check the bulletin boards and other venues to see what they've been selling for.

I have a Discovery and love it. Make sure your current or planned lenses will be readily accomodated without the need for a different bellows or rail. If not, then have a look at the price of these and other A-S accessories, since you may want to get some in the future anyhow. The upside is that it's a system made of interchangeable components, very well designed and beautifully made - but the downside is that they are not cheap.

Badger Graphics sold me a 3rd party lensboard adapter, which although not genuine Arca-Swiss, is entirely functional, and lower in price. As a result, I was able to use all my lenses (as already mounted) on Technika boards, which are smaller and lighter than Arca boards.

Tim,

I have a F Classic which I bought from Ebay at $1300 together with a rodenstock 135/

5.6 This was a real great deal, and when it came with bent focusing axles due to

shipping problems, Arca Swiss was kind enough to send me replacements for free.

They do stand behind their product :)

I would suggest trying it out with the lenses you use. Each photographer has different

priorities, so you may prefer something lighter or with more extensible all-in-one

bellows.

the lensboards are quite big so you should get an adapter to reduce the size and

weight.

For me, this is the best compromise for weight, bulk and stability. BTW, I usually use

the leather wide angle bellows due to the range of lenses I have.

Tim, I'm using a Discovery, too. There is very little difference between the Discovery and the F-Basic (shorter rail, no geared front focusing, bubble levels only on one side of the standards, different-colored knobs). The different function carriers Neil mentioned are a less elegant shift movement -- on the Discovery and F-Basic, it's a knob that you unlock and have to lock again (it looks like a mini Arca QR head), while on the other F-line cameras, it's spring-loaded, you just push down and slide. I think the back should accept all the same attachments as the other Arcas.

I agree that not having a collapsable or telescoping rail will make it harder to backpack, but that's the only drawback I can think of. The lens boards are huge, but I don't have a problem backpacking with three lenses. I suppose three lenses is about the limit, though, before an adapter board really pays off.

I'm very pleased with my Discovery. It does everything I want it to do, and the movements are solid and smooth. Your F-Basic should perform at least as well, and is quite a bit cheaper than a new Discovery. It sounds good to me!

I have the 4x5 Compact Field, the one that doesn't require the bag bellows, and uses the 110mm panels. I also have the extention rail and long bellows. Altogether, with the set up that I have, you can easily use lenses from about 75mm to 480mm with no problems. The focus is as smooth as you'll find anywhere and its very precise. More movements than you are ever likely to need, and its extremely rigid, locks down tight and is still compact enough to cart around.

Basically.. its a pleasure to use and you can't go wrong!