Recommend me a Nikon....

wes_w.

Hi all you beautiful people,

Here's what I'm looking for. I already have a Nikon FM2N with a

105mm, and just ordered a digital Canon G3. What I am looking for

now is a little Nikon that can be carried with me everywhere I go.

Must be Film, not digital, with a built in flash and Autofocus. I'm

thinking something from the 80's. Something like Terry Richardson

uses, if anyone is familiar with him. I'm just not sure of the

models I should be looking at...

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wes

Wes-

There is no Nikon AF body from the 1980s with built-in flash that I could recommend and still sleep at night. They all suck a$$. The oldest Nikon AF body with built-in flash that I would recommend be the N6006/F601, from 1990:

http://www.focalfix.com/reviews/film/nikonn601.shtml

The N6006/F601 was designed as a student camera. The controls are clearly laid out like an 8008. Also, it takes standard, threaded cable releases. 6006s in excellent condition go for under $200 on eBay.

I recently received an N6006 from my uncle who's gone digital. Very nice, basic AF SLR. Compact, lightweight, a bit larger and heavier than the FM2N (almost all SLRs other than an OM-1 or Pentax ME would be heavier than the FM series) but easier to grip due to the superior ergonomics.

Control layout is easy to get the hang of. The single multifunction thumbwheel doubles as a shutter speed dial in manual mode - very handy. TTL flash seems capable enough, tho' I'm not much of a flasher.

Shutter response is reasonable when AF is locked or in manual focus mode. Shutter sound isn't any louder than the FM2N and mirror slap is well damped against vibration. Overall a very nice camera.

A few drawbacks...

The film door latch is fragile and tends to break on the door side. Mine arrived that way. Repair kits are available for not too much money.

AF is slow by today's standards and noisy with older AF lenses. On the plus side AF seems reasonably positive and accurate without much hunting.

The only truly annoying feature to me is the inability to keep the camera locked into autobracketing mode. The camera can be set to autobracket in 3- or 5-shot series, in 1/3, 2/3 or full EV increments. But after a single set of autobracketed shots it defaults back to single shot mode. If there's a way to lock it on autobracketing mode and leave it there I haven't figured it out. I don't often bracket but when I do I usually shoot the entire roll that way. This flawed feature seriously impedes the camera's capabilities for action shooting under difficult conditions.

Thanks for all the help so far. To fit in my pocket would be good, but it really doesn't have to. The main things are that it be small, have a built in flash, have autofocus, and it'd also be good if it were fully manual.

"The main things are that it be small, have a built in flash, have autofocus, and it'd also be good if it were fully manual."

By "fully manual" I assume you mean that it have a full manual exposure mode, not that the camera have a full set of non-electronic shutter speeds. The N6006 has a full manual setting.

The only Nikon that has an auto setting AND a full set of manual shutter speeds is the hybrid FM3a. But there, you lose the the AF and the built-in flash.

Put an Olympus Stylus Epic in your pocket, 35mm F2.8 lens, it's the size of deck of cards and it seriously rocks. This is a GLASS lens, not plastic. For @ $80 you cannot go wrong. Nikon has nothing like this at this price that I am aware of. Buy this and you will never be anywhere without a quality camera again.

Since I already have an SLR and a digital that is capable of being manual I'm really not sure I need another SLR. I didn't specifically say "point and shoot" because I would assume that most p&s's aren't going to have any manual options which would I would like... and I also assumed it wouldn't take as good of pictures as an SLR with some Auto features.

If you are not specifically looking for a SLR, then check out the Rollei AFM35. It has full program and aperture priority settings and auto- or manual focus (although manual focus is accomplished by setting focus ranges). Has built-in flash and will fit in your pocket. You can get it new for $299 at B&H.

There are a few other P&S with at least manual exposure control such as the Ricoh GR-1V (much more expensive than the Rollei though). If you don't care if it's new, then try the Olympus XA - used on eBay in the $100 range.

None of these have "full" manual settings, but you can at least set the aperture.

Good luck.

If you DO want to stick with a SLR, specifically a <B>Nikon</B> SLR, and this is going to be your "knock around" camera. I would look into the N55 or N65. They are both very light and compact (for SLR's), have all the features you mentioned, and are realtively inexpensive. Equip it with the 50mm/1.8, 35mm/2.0 or 28mm/2.8 and you have a nice little setup.

If you have a bit of extra spare change laying around and can manage with a <I>slightly</I> larger camera, then I would recommend the N80/F80.

Lex,

Could you tell me where you can get the repair kits for the N6006 door latch. The N6006 is a nice solid camera, but I agree with you completely about how fragile the door latch is. I already had to repair mine once for around $80, and now it's broke again. Thanks!

Mike

I used to have an N6006 and agree with other folks here, it would suit you. But I agree even more with the advice to get an N65. For an SLR with autofocus it's quite compact and lightweight. Put an AF-D 50mm f/1.8 lens on it and you have a fine camera for take-anywhere use and if it gets bashed you're not out a ton of $$ so what the heck. In (P)rogram mode it's a dandy point and shoot. In manual mode it's a little fiddly, but so is every point-and-shoot that offers manual control.

Have fun,

i can vouch for the picture quality of the stylus epic. i have one in my pocket at all times. it doesnt offer any type of manual control, though. and it likes to shoot at maximum aperture, so with 100 speed film, DOF is often a problem (not that other P&S's could probably handle 100 film any better with their extremely small maximum apertures). the other P&S's mentioned above may also be worth looking into. they are much more expensive, though (not sure about the rollei).

when i was looking at P&S for a pocket camera, i was looking at olympus stylus epic, ricoh GR-1V, yashica T5 (T4 super), and the canon sure shot 120 classic. i have heard very good things about all of these cameras (picture quality was my main concern), and i can vouch for the stylus epic (only 85 dollars, too). it would be nice to have some sort of input into the exposure, but that was much more expensive. hope this helps.

If it does NOT have to be a Nikon and it does NOT have to be an SLR, and you want some measure of manual control, then you should consider some of the classic RF's from the 70's, such as the Canonet (for about $50 on eB@y)... just a thought...