Sinar Norma Shutter?

lbi115l

Someone recommended to me to get a Sinar Norma shutter instead of

shuttering my barrel lens, which would be VERY expensive. Can someone

describe the shutter (I assume it's something relative flat and

lensboard-styled) and even better suggest somewhere to buy one used?

I've looked around at the usual LF sites and didn't find anything.

Thanks!

I have done exactly what you are talking about. The answer above is pretty complete and I only add a couple of points. You do not need the special Sinar DB lens mounts to use the DB shutter. They are, as observed above, expensive and really only offer the ability to set the aperature from behind the camera. Barrel lenses can be mounted in the much cheaper flat Sinar lens panels but then require the aperature to be set from the front. The real issue with using the DB shutter, again as mentioned above, is the limited clearance between the lens board and the shutter. I can't remember the exact figure but it is on the order of 25 mm or less. S. Grimes mounted two Nikkor process lenses for me on Sinar flat lens boards so that they were located far enough to the front of the board to leave clearance to the rear. One last point: I wish these shutters were readily available for $150--I suppose that they were at one time but more recently that price seems to be $300-500. So this makes the consideration of allowing the use of only 1 lens even more important. Hope this helps.

Hi Jason, How's everything going? I told you about the Sinar Norma shutter. I use one all of the time. I shoot barrel lenses with it from a 270mm Kowa Graphic to a 760mm Nikkor. With the longer lenses you have to be careful of vignetting, especially if using the lens on an ULF camera. But with 8x10 most lenses will work fine. Stopping down helps avoiding the vignetting also. I adapted to Sinar shutter to a Deardorf board, and all of my lenses are mounted on Technika boards (except the 760, which is just too large, so it is on a Sinar board). I have a Sinar to Technika adapter board on the Sinar shutter. I just slap my lenses on the adapter board on the shutter and fire away. Most Sinar shutters are sold with the cable so make sure if you bid that it comes with one. They are a bit finicky because they are getting older but they can be adjusted. You can find them more readily at used large format camera stores like Lens and Repro in NYC, but they are much cheaper on Ebay. I've never had a vibration problem though they are abrupt. Just make sure the camera is on a very sturdy support and fire carefully. The worst of the mechanism is in closing anyway so it doesn't matter. How's the enlarger coming?

Rob