Refurbished Nikon from BH

pedro_sincleir

Hi people =)

I was on Bhphoto some refurbished cameras

They were not 100%, then they're returned to nikon to be fixed, then sent back

to Bhphoto, is that right?

Is it worth?

I saw Nikon F100 new for US$ 900 and refurbished for US$ 750

what do you think? thank you very much =)

Yes, but....

Refurbished gear can be a great value. For instance, my refurbished Epson 1200 printer has worked long and hard and still functions just like new. But, a certain percentage of electronic gear has some sort of sneaky little performance quirk which never shows up during test and check out. These are "CND" (can not duplicate) faults. These CND faults naturally tend to turn up in refurbished gear more than in new gear. So I recommend you wait to buy a refurbished camera until a time when you will have the opportunity to use all of the features. You should strive to discover any possible CND problems during the trial period and to get them fixed at no cost. Everything considered though, I would definitely would go for a refurbished and gauranteed F100 from B&H for $750.

I wouldn't buy refurbished if they were giving it away. Many times it's the "unrepairable" stuff. Stuff that craps out once in six months, weird problems that nobody seems to be able to fix. They finally give you a new camera. What do you think they do with the one they took back? Bingo! <p>

We had a story from someone here a few years ago who bought refurb from B&H. Weird intermittant problem. B&H took it back and gave him a another refurb. Another completely different problem. B&H again sent him another and, to make a long story short, this went on until B&H no longer had any more of that factory refurb item in stock. Apparently every damn one had some kind of problem.<p>

Still think you are going to save money?

If the refurbished cameras all have known defects, people would find out and keep returning them to B&H and eventually Nikon. That will simply generate a lot of extra work for B&H and Nikon. Every return will cost them money. I don't think it is in their interest to intentionally sell defective items either. However, there might be intermittent problems that are hard to reproduce and Nikon simply misses them.

As long as there is a warranty and you can return the refurbished camera if there are problems, you should be covered. Essentially, you get what you pay for. If you don't want this kind of potential problems, get a brand new item, which may have defects also.

I bought a re-furbed F100 about a year and a half ago from my local shop. I can't remember the exact price but it was under $700. The camera looked new and has never had a problem. The owner of the shop says that they sell every re-furbed Nikon unit they can get their hands on and they have a very low failure rate with the Nikon stuff.

I didn't and still don't see any problem with buying one.

Regards,

Jim

I bought a refurbed F5 from Pro Photo Supply in Portland a couple of years ago. Aside from the "refurbished" stamp on the box, there was no way to tell it was other than brand new, but it was hundreds less than the new price. I seem to recall the warranty was 90 days, which I thought enough for me to get a lot of film through it in case of problem. I've had no problems whatsoever, and would buy another Nikon refurb with no hesitation.

I posted my experience with an F4 in the F4 forum. In short, I bought a brand new one, and used it for a couple years before it developed a serious electronic glitch. Nikon tried but was unable to fix it so they give me a brand new unit. If I had bought it used or re-furbed, I don't know what they would have done as I've been led to believe they won't touch grey market stuff. As for the defective unit, they said they would use it to train new techs.

Refurbished does not = grey market. Nikon refurbishes it and sells it to you. The F5 refurb I bought had a 6 month warranty. If anything goes wrong after that, Nikon will repair it for the regular charge, unlike grey market items whihc they won't repair at all unless you have the international warranty and can prove you got it in Japan.

Conni