Viewfinder Magnifier M 1.25x

john da

Hi all,

The protective rubber ring on my 1.25x viewfinder maginfier seems to have

become very loose. As I leave the magnifier on one of my M6s most of the

time, it might be getting harder use than Leica had planned. But I doubt that. If

I didn't wear eye glasses I would just remove it.

I try to be careful when putting (or removing) the camera body with the

viewfinder attached into or out of my camera bag, but sometimes I find the

rubber protective ring partially dislodged from the viewfinder. I have even

discovered the same situation a couple of times while carrying the M6 over

my shoulder or around my neck because it rubbing against my side or chest.

Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone tried to glue the rubber ring to the

magnifier permantly? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

search this forum -- I think Rich Pinto (Photo Village) sells a 75-80 dollar replacement, someone els had an El Cheapo alternative. Mine slips, but I ahve not lost it, and have not sprung for anything else. I have been afraid to glue (mess wise), but a little tiny superglue might be ok.

I also keep one of them mounted semi-permanently to one of my M's. Initially I thought Leica was batty putting a chain on it and expecting people to take it on and off like Colonel Klink's monocle, so I unhooked the chain and put it away in the equally frivoulous little case. But after having had the magnifier come loose on me even after using a flexiclamp to honk it down, I now realize Leica hooked it with a chain to keep people from losing it. It also can just as often bind on with nothing more than finger tightening and refuse to come off without using a flexiclamp. My educated guess is that there is an expansion difference between the magnifier and the eyepiece threads, as a similar thing happens with a cheap filter mount on a lens.

I have not had the rubber ring come off yet, though. But my suggestion would be some Pliobond or similar adhesive. It's a favorite glue among camera repairmen and will bond to rubber and metal and maintain enough flexibility not to break loose.

I've started having the same problem with mine as well. I have a .72 classic M6 with the magnifier on it 100% of the time. The rubber just seems to have a mind of it's own and wants to come off.

I like Jay's idea, but I'm thinking of sending mine to Leica for a repair before I screw it up or loose the rubber altogether.

Be sure to post your final solution.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra