Is the 10D a Dead Duck?

walter_strong3

I've heard similar theories but don't know how true they may be.It is the best way to introduce a new body,as they did with the D60 to 10D changeover.Then again it could be just that B&H thinks that it's unlikely anyone will want a 10D now that the rebel D is being released....likely or not?I would have thought such a big retailer would keep a couple in stock...

B&H has had stocking problems with all kinds of lenses/kit. (As do many other companies who want to keep inventory costs down).<p>This is not grounds for a Chicken Little (Duckie Deadie?) the sky is falling...I must go and tell...routine.<p>So instead of running back anf forth I suggest you go take some photo's...cause if you do that and if -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn falls, Chicken Little won't mind a bit. In fact, she doesn't notice it at all.

Many places are out of the 10D. I think they are shipping as fast as they are received by the authorized dealers. I just received mine last week. I had to wait a week for thebestthings.com to receive their shipment, and they expeditiously shipped it immediatly upon receipt of the Canon shipment (at on of the lowest prices from an authorized dealer). It came to me the next afternoon.

I am very impressed with the build quality. The body has a substantial feel that I do not think will be present in the digital Rebel. I'm about to take it to Borneo in a few days. I think it will probably be around until next summer, then an upgrade may occur. After all this is consumer electronics and the buyer must be encouraged to get the latest and greatest.

Ron, the only thing the 300D is equal to the 10D on is image quality, but in so many other areas the 300D is severely lacking and I would never buy it over a 10D, in fact I would get a second hand 10D long before a new 300D. Any photographer that is coming from a SLR background will find the 300D extremely annoying, it is designed with the PS brigade in mind, not the SLR users, so they have dumbed it down too much. I would think the 10D would live on for at least another 6 months until it upgraded or at the least until a 3D is released.

I'm thinking, because there are key common parts shared between the two

cameras, that production is an issue. The 10D is different enough for both cameras to

be in the Canon DSLR line. Look at how many film SLR's there are. Now if there really

is a producton bottleneck that is longterm--they may have to choose. I would bet

that it is a temporary problem. And.. I'm hoping that eventually there will be several

Canon DSLR's to choose from.

B&H is often slow to get items in. I waited about two months for some Lee filters (ordering them directly from the UK was MUCH faster), and almost a month for a basic Canon lens. That doesn't mean Canon and Lee aren't making those items anymore. I like the theory that the sensor is in short supply personally.

So my advice is to sit back, tune in to a nice football game, crack open a 6 pack, and shoot more slide film...hehehe

If only the 300D let me move the AF start to another button and let me choose my own meter and focus modes in Av, then I would get it. Untill then, I'll keep saving. Saying the 300D means there is no market for the 10D anymore is like saying the 300 made the 30/33 obsolete.

Canon knows this and I think they will keep selling the 10D for a long time. And when they stop, it will be because they have been able to produce a camera with the same functionality and equal or better quality at a lower price. Just like the 10D replaced the D60 and that replaced the D30 before it.

Yeah, there is a home in the Canon lineup for a 10D. The 300D supplements, not replaces it.

Can't see the price difference remaining at $600 for very long, however. That is alot of money for a better built body with fully enabled firmware. The "expensive" part is the sensor, which is common to both cameras.

Here in the UK I waited about 6 weeks for my ESO10D from Jessops. I was told that pretty much all the stock that was being delivered to them was already "snapped up". I went back to the store a few days ago to try some lenses and they said they didn't think they'd see any more 10Ds for a couple of months.

I guess once this high demand has been met, Canon will probably look at replacing it towards the middle of next year, especially as the competition starts to hike up the MP capacity their censors. But then again, what product in this electronic age lasts that long anyway! I'll make do with it, until a 24 MP model becomes available for a similar RRP to that of the 10D now. Until then I'll just enjoy it. Hope y'all do the same :-)

I chatted the other day with a salesman in a camera shop where I go to buy my odds and ends. He told me the following about the 10D:

1) Demand is currently outstripping supply

2) They got a recent shipment of 200 10Ds from Canon and sold them in three days (And this is a small shop in a relatively rural area - though they sell a lot of stuff over the 'net)

3) People do not pay deposits on items and therefore are surprised when they cannot buy the camera as one hasn't been kept for them.

So the moral of this post is - PAY A DEPOSIT. In this case, 10% of the camera's retail price will get anyone to the top of the list, but even so, you may have to wait, though sometimes not as long.

When I was looking for a DSLR, one of the factors I considered was the time I had to wait to get a camera body. I was in a situation where I needed one NOW and could not afford to wait the two to three weeks for a 10D. That, plus budget constraints, made me plump for a secondhand D60 instead. Since getting it I've not looked back.

Yes: everybody wants one! I got mine from B&H not even a month ago.

Remember, every store has shortages from time to time. It's only a matter of business requirements/needs. Also, they were down during the blackout, it could have messed up their re-ordering/inventory processes, who knows. But, I don't think the 10D is going anywhere for a while, except in people's homes.