Extended Warranties by Canon

bella_snay

You mean the 10D.

I know Canon used to offer extended warranties on their film bodies at reasonable rates ($40 for 4 years I think).

I don't know if Canon offer extended warranties on digital bodies, but be warned that all the extended warraties I've seen for digital cameras are pretty expensive. On the order of $200+ for an extra year.

At that rate it's almost a better bet to sell the camera after 11 months and get a new one.

a Mack warranty is not worth much - do a search here and on google and you'll see that it is hard to get them to pay for something. If canon had it, i would buy it, their service is excellent. Another option you might consider is a personal article floater with your insurance company. I have $5k worth of camera gear insured by state farm for $65 per year. This insurance covers anything that happens - accidental damage, loss, theft, any breakage, etc. Its a bargain really. And Since it lets you not worry about the equipment you tend to experiment more which helps your photographic abilities. I have only had to make one claim since i got their coverage. i lost a cokin split natural density filter (it was about $110). I called them up and said i didn't know what happened to it and couldn't find it, and that i hadn't seen it in 2 months ( i had figured it might just show up as so many lost things do ). After 5 minutes on the phone a check for $110 was in the mail... great service!

Since they don't make much (if any) money on this, it seems like you need to get it with your home and/or car insurance agent... they are more likely do cover you then (as mine does) because its a perk that keeps me coming back to pay for things like car insurance (which is where they make their money).

Canon doesn't offer extended warranties which is a little unsettling given the money you shell out for one of their DSLRs. Having to rely on the limited 3rd party vendors doesn't appear effective either (based on the reading). Three years ago I bought the Nikon CoolPix 990 (which at the same time cost about as much as the 10D). This past year it crapped out and the service department tagged it with $400 to fix. For that money you can buy a new camera with better features.

Based on the reading I've done, it looks like the best route to go is with a personal articles rider policy through your car/home insurance company. (sigh)