Cool Ebony Viewing Accessory

michael_kravit

I recently purchased from Robert White in the UK their own version of

the Ebony viewing bellows. This is a very rigid bellows attached to a

plate that attaches to my Ebony 45SU ground glass back. When extended

it is very rigid and stays in place.

The neatest part is that it also has a plate attached to the viewing

end and installed in the plate is a 49mm B&W 3x magnifier.

When compressed, the bellows stays compressed. When extended, it does

not sag and stays extended.

Just thought I would share this item with others.

Michael, I bought one of these recently also and find it excellent. I have used it with a 90mm and 65mm lens and it does get progressively less easy to move your view around to optimise the focussing especially in the corners. That said, as you rack the bellows out you end up with a very nicely magnified view and I no longer need a loupe or glasses to focus. The only very minor downside for me is packing the camera where I dont feel comfortable taking the weight of camera and lens on the back so store the camera resting on the lens panel.

Dave

Hi I think Grey Wolf is asking a similar question I asked Matt at Robert White, ie does the panel housing the magnifier detach from the bellows so that the ground glass can be viewed without it - the answer...unfortunately not! This was a drawback IMHO, as I like to view the screen entirely. Michael, how easy would it be to "remove" the panel containing the magnifier?? I appreciate that it would mean that the panel could not be reattached!

Paul,

As you noted, the panel that has the magnifier lens attached does not detach

from the bellows. The panel appears to be glued to the bellows and removal

would be quite easy.

However, I can easily swivel the bellows from side to side and top to bottom in

order to view the edges of the ground glass when I tested the viewer with a

SS110XL. In addition focussing was a breeze.

Mike

Michael - Can you tell us how wide this thing is when it's fully compressed for back packing. In other words, how convenient is it to carry around with you? I used to look at these kinds of things for a Linhof and even the newer two piece version from Linhof seemed to be bulky and inconvenient to carry around so I never pursued it. This one looks like it might be pretty compact when the bellows is fully compressed.

It compresses to about 1 and 1/2 inches from the wooden body of the gg holder so its a shade over 1 inch extra depth.

To answer one other question with another - looking at the deisgn I seen no reason why you couldnt have a bigger aperture at the back and just use a larger +3 diopter filter. As these are cut to order it may be worth a converstaion with Matt at RW.

Dave

I just got my hands on one of these yesterday and tried it out in my back garden with an 80XL and 110XL. I have to say it's bloody excellent. The fact that the bellows are quite rigid and capable of staying where you put them allows you to view either the whole gg or parts thereof quite easily. I also found it very straightforward to use as a focussing aid (no loupe required at all).

Mike