When Mamiya RF is misaligned, just how bad is it?

jon_warwick1

Quick question regarding Mamiya 7 or 7II! When the rangefinders on

these cameras become misaligned, just how bad is the misalignement?

In other words, is it just a matter of a few inches of inaccuracy, or

can it be over foot or so? If it's just a few inches, is it the case

that it would only be a noticeable problem for the longer lenses

opened up with a smaller depth of field, but not a problem with the

standard 80mm lens when taking a photo at least 5+ feet away at f5.6-

f16, for example?

Well that all depends on how close you're focusing. If you use the 80mm at f/5.6 and your focusing at 1 meter then being a couple of inches off is a problem. It also depends on how far off the rangefinder is. When I got my M7 and 80mm, infinity in the rangefinder was a full 2mm before the mark on the lens, and focusing on a small point (eyes, say) at 3-4 feet, wide open, yeilded sloppy results. I adjusted the rangefinder for infinity and fixed the annoying vertical misadjustment and the difference in low light, at f/4-5.6, is huge.

Paul: did you align the rangefinder yourself? After many years without any problems, the rangefinder in my 7 got recently seriously off . With the 150, infinity is at about 30 meters! I read in one of the threads that not only the rangefinder mechanism in the body can be out of alignment, but also the cams in the lenses. I would be tempted to try aligning the rangefinder myself, but what for the lenses??

I would be pleased to know if anyone can state why the Mamiya 7 rangefinder accuracy problems typically occur .... is it due to banging the camera around too much for its liking, and therefore knocking the internal mechanism out of synch? ie, if one protected the camera from vibrations or bangs, can one pretty much assume the rangefinder problems won't occur?