Can't get the polarizer off my 80-400 VR

j_wittenberg

.... any solutions .... got back from vac'n at sealevel, now at 4000

feet ... would that have anything to do with it?

Can't get a grip on the (tiny, super narrow, smooth) non-rotating

ring of the circular polarizer, any solutions that won't wreck the

lens or (rather expensive) filter?

Jim has hit the high points, but I'll add, 'try even pressure'. When you're trying to apply force to something like a filter, the natural tendency is to squeeze it hard between your thumb and index finger. This can distort the ring and work against you. With a normal filter, a great technique is to push the filter ring against the sidewall of a car tire and rotate it off. The 'even pressure' works the filter loose without distorting the filter ring.

Try Jim's technique with five or more fingers equidistant around the fixed part of the ring.

Derivative of above... (and I'm a semi-old photographer ;{)

<BR>

Use rubber jar lid circle thingy (technical term), place flat on counter, place lens filter flat down on thingy, moderate pressure down on lens, hold thingy with one hand and turn SLOWLY and EVENLY on lens with other.

<BR>

if you get 1/4 turn on thingy, then it should spin off by hand.

<BR>

if you've dinged (another technical term) the lens or filter right...all bets are off..take it to camera fixer guy ;{)

<BR>

hope that helps

Eric, I agree is "not supposed" to work but the gentle downward even pressure will usually make the inner ring spin a little and all you need is to nudge (watch out another technical term) the inner ring from it's lodged position.... has worked for me many many times over the years (that's why I carry a thingy in my "tool kit")...