Reno to Yosemite

rick_moore

I'll be attending a professional conference in Reno July 11-15. My

family is going along and we plan to travel to Yosemite after the

conference. We'll be leaving Reno on Wednesday morning and

heading through the Tioga Pass to the Yosemite Valley. We have

reservations at Camp Curry for that Wednesday evening (the only

accommodations available in the park three months in advance).

IThe drive from Reno to the Valley looks very do-able in terms of

mileage, but I'm wondering about actual travel time considering

the altitude, heavy park traffic in July, etc. We'll have 3 days in the

park before we have to return to Reno for our flight home.

The trip from Reno to Lee Vining along 395 will be fairly quick,

mostly four lane with some two-lane stretches. Highway 395

is not steep or twisty enough to slow down an ordinary

passenger car much. The only traffic

issues will be in Carson City, and this won't slow

you down for long. You may want to stop for photos around the Mono Lake area, among other places.

<p>

Once you leave Lee Vining, you're in for a steep climb up to the

top of Tioga pass, and you're likely to get stuck behind RVs.

Then you enter the park at the top of the pass, and again, you'll

have RVs, slow traffic, and you'll want to stop for scenery.

<p>

You should have no trouble making it in a day. The nice thing

is that most of the optional scenery stops are near the end of your

journey, so you can stop a lot or whiz by, depending on how

quickly you want to make camp.

Rick, I live in Nevada and just came back from Yosemite yesterday. It's a fairly quick

trip from Reno. It should take about 2 hours to get to Lee Vining and then from the

turn-off towards tioga pass it takes between 1.5 and 2 hours to

reach the valley. Traffic was light this weekend but I'm not sure how it will be in July.

Have a good trip.

A very early start will help avoid heavy traffic, a lot of RVs, construction delays through the Carson City area. (Your family can sleep.) Lee Vining has several places along the main drag for a great breakfast and the latest information.

This should be a fun trip! 3 days in the Valley will give you a nice taste and time to do a few things.

I have stayed in Curry Village in both the tent cabins and hard walled cabins(all have elec and lights) and enjoyed them both. With the tents I prefer the ones more away from the main area due to the noise factor. Remember thatthey all share a community bath too, so bring some flipflop shower shoes.

For food in the valley I liked the pizza place in Curry Village and Degnans Deli (great Deggmcmuffins at breakfast!)in the HQ area. There is also a store in Curry for snacks, drinks, sandwich fixins and a full grocery at HQ. By the way be sure to visit the Awhanaee to see it,but food there is very expensive-even at lunch!

Also, listen to the warning about keeping food in your car or tent as in the valley they are "smarter than the average bear"

You can pick up Michael Fryes book Photographers guide to Yosemite at any store in the park- best $8 I spent there. It has great info on spots to shoot, times of day, moon chart, etc.

There are lots of great hikes in the Valley from short strolls to the 18 miles to the top of Half Dome. I really like the short 15 minute walk to the very base of El Cap and looking up at the climbers. Nevada Falls/mist trail is a nice on in the afternoon heat. An afternoon roadtrip to Wawona/Mariposa grove and sunset from Glacier Point is pretty cool too.

By the way, there is gas in the park, just not in Yosemite Valley so watch your tank

Have fun!!

July is high country time. Sure, you will want to see the valley (a must for first time visitors), but the real treasures are up in the higher elevations... it's still like spring up there, with wildflowers, flowing creeks, ect. The "Eastside" (before you reach Tioga pass) has a beautiful area called Warren Canyon, and the Toulumne meadows area has lakes, domes, and after you reach the valley, drive up to Glacier Point Road and check out the many trails around bridalveil creek. Plan on giving yourself lots of extra time to hike around, even if you just like short hikes... this is best way to enjoy the park! I've already been up to the high country twice in the last month... the wild flowers are just starting to bloom... July is ideal time. The views up high are outstanding, but unfortunately, Glacier Point parking lot gets full so some alternatives are: Sentinal Dome, Taft Point (both trails are off Glacier Point road) and Lembert Dome (in Toulumne meadows area) have fun!