Shooting hockey action

miles_anthony

Several of the rinks I shoot at are brightly lite. The exposure is roughly 1/250 @F2.8 for ASA 800 Fuji 4 layer emulsions. Using less exposure makes darker uniforms; helmets; etc have alot less detail. For amateur games and public skating sessions; the they turn on only one set of lights; and then one needs 1/125 @F2.8 for ASA 800 print films. Having a fast prime lens of F2.8; or a true F2.8 lens really helps. Many people try the starter F4/F5.6 zooms; and dont get very many keepers; due to to slow a lens. On rare occasions I have used F4 speed lenses; sometimes one can pan with the action; and get some decent shots..For focal lengths; my favorites are 85; 105; 135; 180mm; all equal or faster than F2.8 . The press guys way away from the glass use much longer zoom lenses; on a monopole; and pan with the action using a F4 lens; and a Digital camera with a high ISO setting; in JPEG mode. They are 100 feet above the redline.

Hello Mike,

Kelly delivered excellent advice. You really need a fast F2.8 zoom or prime lens as lighting is a major problem in even the best professional rinks. You need to "reach" into the play. Fast lenses are expensive. Rent/borrow one for a day. With the speed of hockey, you really need to anticipate the action or you may not be satisfied with your results - even the pros burn alot of film/digital to get a few keepers for the morning papers. Good luck!

Rick Gray