Fuji GS645

robert fox

I've read a LOT of the posts in the archives concerning this unique

Fuji Folding Camera. I will be receiving one of these soon and have

a couple questions that I did not find an answer to in the archives:

1) What size filters does this camera take?

2) Can the camera be folded with a filter on?

3) Does anyone know a source for lens hoods for this camera?

According to the seller, this camera is in "excellent shape"

and "everything works". Hopefully I will not have to get a new

bellows .....

Robert,

1) It accepts 40.5mm-diameter filters but only with the lens hood.

2) The camera can not be folded with the lens hood on and there are very specific actions to follow to fold the camera

a) lens set to infinity

b) wind film advance lever

c) Press down on "close" latch and fold camera

3) No and best of luck finding one, the sometimes show up on E*** and did see one once and KEH.

This camera is sweet. Hope you enjoy it.

Good shooting, Rick

I very strongly emphasize; follow the procedures when folding the camera or you _will_ break things. I suspect this is the main reason Fuji stopped producing it.

When/if you need repairs or bellows, Camera Wiz is good.

Filters fit in the shade, you can't fold the camera with the shade attached, and I've see a shade once on the auction site for an exorbitant price. I'd suggest taping a gel filter over the lens.

I got one about 6 weeks ago. Subsquently bought the filter holder/lens hood on e-bay for way more relative than the camera! Havent used the filter holder yet but really enjoying the camera.

I thoroughly second the issues raised re closing the camera with focus set to infinity - otherwise the lens is raised and the folding mechanism smashes it. The other point that had me foxed when I got it was setting film speed - the number window is obvious, just below the shutter speed dial, but it took a posting to this forum to figure out the mm thick changing dial with a fingernail notch on it.

Good Luck!

P.s. the filter size is also difficult - 40.5mm!

Robert,

Many of these cameras have shutter problems. It is a known issue, along with the elaborate fold-up procedure. I know, I had one and loved the camera and the lens, but the shutter failed twice. I returned it to the dealer, who sent it to Fuji for repair. They fixed it, and sent it to me, only to have the shutter fail again. The dealer accepted it as a return. Get a guarantee from your seller!

Richard

I've used mine occationally (great vacation camera - it fits in a jacket pocket) for almost 20 years. The camera is closed by pressing down on a bar on the front cover. The bar has a circular point on each end. To close the camera, both of these circular spots should be pressed at the same time, then close it. I use my index and middle finger and this is a very natural motion. After learning this from the repair man 10 years ago I've had no more problems. Prior to this I had to have the shutter linkage repaired or reset twice.

Although it's probably not good to experiment, a few times when I have not cocked the shutter or focused to infinity the camera simply did not even start to close. No damage is done unless you try to force it closed. If it doesn't readily start to close, it's a good signal that I've forgotten one of these steps - just re-focus and wind the shutter (advance the film), then close.

Yes - the filter attaches to the lens shade, and the camera won't fold. It's not a great design. Also, since the metering is not through the lens, you'll have to apply any filter factor manually. I have both filters and shade but rarely use either.

• 4 years later...
I'm sure glad I didn't know all of this gloomy stuff during the ten years or so that I happily used my GS645. It took the best picture of any pocket camera available at the time. So the closing mechanism was a bit fiddly; many cameras were fiddly back then. I never found it to be a problem. If it doesn't close easily, don't force it, think about what you forgot.

• 4 years later...

<p>Me again. I do have the hood. It has had a UV filter stuck into it for at least 20 years. (It was there when I bought the camera.) I finally got the filter out, but I cannot get it or anything else to thread back into the hood. I need to figure out how to re-thread it or something. <br>

Or maybe I'll get a step-up ring with good threads and just glue it in to the hood.<br>

I'd also be interested in ideas to replace/upgrade the dumb hood arrangement.<br>

Meanwhile a word to the wise: if you buy one of these expensive hoods, make sure you can actually thread a filter into it!</p>