What's The Deal With Domke?

robert fox

Are these bags really that popular? It seems that every major photo

dealer (B&H, Adorama, Calumet, etc.) is currently out of stock of

most of the Classic Series Domke bags. Are they really that popular,

or are there some production issues? I decided to get an F2 in Sand

for my pair of Fuji 6X9 rangefinders, and cannot find one ANYWHERE.

If you know of a place I'm missing, please let me know.

By the way, if you already have a GSW690III and want to add a

GW690III before they are all gone (The GSW's are, as far as I know

are already long gone), get it from Robert White. I just received

mine for $1038 to my front door. B&H has them for over $1400. I'm

certainly not knocking B&H - I buy almost all of my photo gear -

including the GSW690, and assorted other cameras - from them, but

saving $400 bucks is pretty significant .....

I read that Domke had filed for bankruptcy, though I was never able to find "official confirmation" of this. If it is true, and the company has not been assimilated into another organization or reorganized (which would be a shame, given the popularity of the bags: I have an F4A which I love) this could explain the difficulty finding them.

It may be worth looking for a local pro-shop: their stock does not turn over as quickly the bigger dealers. If you like I would be happy to check my local haunt the next time I'm there to see if they have one: contact me via email.

For my MF gear I use an F.64 MFX shoulder bag: it has enough room to hold my Mamiya 645E, rapid-wind grip, three lenses, a teleconverter, filters (round and Cokin P, with mounting hardware), notebook, pens, cleaning supplies, film (30+ rolls of 120 and 35mm), a 35mm body (N90s with vertical grip), three lenses for the Nikon, and still have some space. Granted, it then weighs a ton, but everything is there. Rarely to I stuff it so full, however. I usually have the 35mm gear in the Domke F4A.

You don't hear much about the F.64 bags, but I've been very happy with it for my MF stuff.

Folks,

According to the folks at Midwest Photo, it's Tiffen who's bankrupt, and I guess they distribute Domke. I don't know if they actually own the Domke brand, but if not, I'd expect Domke products to eventually be available through other channels.

Thanks!

Steve

I was recently in the market for a Domke F1-x little bit bigger bag and noticed this shortage too. Yesterday, on Ebay, a ugly cream colored canvas Domke F1-x Little Bit Bigger Bag sold for full retail price. This perhaps is explained by the fact that photographers may recognize the difficulty in getting this bag anywhere else.

B&H only had the F1-x in "ballistic nylon" version left in stock - whatever that material is, so I snagged it instead.

Yeh, last I heard Jim Domke was somewhere in my area (North Central Texas) teaching, concentrating on his own photography, etc. Hopefully the bags he started will make a comeback - I neglected to buy a couple of styles I really admired when they were readily available and could kick myself now. Most other shoulder bags are just too awkward - too poofy, too rigid, etc.

Some folks complained about the cotton canvas material lacking durability, but I wonder whether the extremely worn and torn Domke's I've seen are more a reflection of hard use by hard working owners than of any particular shortcoming in materials.

At best the standard bag style - other than the classic Domke - emphasizes protection over portability. With two of my bags I have to be very mindful not to knock things over with 'em.

A somewhat irritating current trend is toward bags that are so specialized they accomodate only one or two types of gear. For example, I recently received (as a gift so I'm not complaining) a Lowepro Off Trail waistpack system. It's perfect for my diminutive OM gear but barely accomodates my Nikon gear, and then only some of it. I doubt my F3HP would fit at all.

Another bag system I really regret the loss of is Beseler's Lifestyle series. These were water resistant cotton canvas like the original Domkes, but smoother. I have the smallest "canteen" bag from this series - very versatile despite its size. Because it's squishy anything from my entire OM system to my P&Ss to my Rollei TLR will fit and still have enough padding to protect it. These were a sort of poor man's Billingham or Fogg bag.

I guess Beseler didn't sell enough of 'em and switched to the same generic, forgettable, undistinguished ballistic nylon bags every makes nowadays. Too bad.

i have here a domke f2 in black canvas (well now actually dirt

grey) that i bought new in 1986 - and a camera strap from

domke which i have used on all of my cameras also since 1986.

seems the bags keep longer shape than they cameras they

house. i m sure that this f2 will outlive me. its probably more

reliable than john wayne

a source that may have a few domkes is

www.fotomayrhofer.com

"comnpared to, say, a Billingham"

They were very well made compared to a Billingham considering the price.

You can extend this indefinately. I use a Fogg bag so that means a Billingham is crude?

Domke made good bags. Very practical and adaptable. But not the way other bags are.

I've had a number of Domke bags. They all ended up being used to carry non-essential junk because they were poorly padded and ever mor poorly sealed against dirt, pickpocket fingers, and small items falling out. My assessment after using 5 or 6 of the different styles is they are indeed the qintessential press-photographer's bag...and if unless you don't care if your gear gets in the same kind of condition of the average press photog's gear, you're better off with a different bag.

I have also had several Domke bags over the years.

I also had padded Domke inserts which neatly fits into the bags. Usually 2 pairs of inserts.

When I used the inserts they were as well padded as any other bag. I even use the inserts

in bags from other manufacturers.

Of course Domke also brought our Lens Wraps several years ago so you could wrap your

items and drop them into a bag when you did not want to use the inserts.

To each his own, I guess.

• 4 months later...

I staggered into a shop in London (In 1995)with my hasselblad kit in a Billingham that was so heavy I could barely carry it and so difficult to get kit out of that it could only be used to transport stuff.

I put the kit into a Domke F7 and since then have taken the camera to India and Eygpt several times as well as Morocco, Tunisia etc. It has enabled me to use the blad as a reportage/travel camera and whilst it may not look that well protected has done the job and yes I would prefer a scratched camera and good photos to a pristine camera and no pics!

I have bought several bags and rucksacs since but unless I want to take exclusively landscape photos in the UK, the Domke has served me well, every other bag has hindered picture taking.

Tapas