INDIA; Photo advise on Pushkar Camel Festival

steviewander

I've just come back from Pushkar. I've heard the fair is great, although as with many things it's not as authentic now as it was.

I used a 28-135 lens more than any other in India. I'd expected to use the 70-200 more for candids, but the people are generally very approachable (in Pushkar especially) and you shouldn't have any problems.

As I remember, negative film was everywhere and slide film (at least sensia) was there if you looked. Try and protect your gear from dust, it gets everywhere. Perhaps not the best place for a digial slr.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=307634

Yes, I'd be a bit nervous about dust when changing lenses, although it will probably be better in November than when I was there. I suppose it would ultimately depend upon how close you wanted to get to a camel rolling around on the ground, and there are many thousands of them....

All the non-pro lenses I used had masses of visible dust in them after 3 months away.

I've led a photo tour to Pushkar in November 2002...and I can tell you that it was dusty even then. The sand is very fine, and tends to adhere to everything...it was not too bad, as there was no wind but you certainly need to carry and use cleaning materials for your lenses as you go. I found that the smoke from the camp fires was particularly nasty. The fires are fueled by dung briquettes, and these fires dot the area where the camel traders and their inventory stay during the event. So no escaping the acrid smell and sting. I cannot speak of digital cameras as I don't use them, but I haven't had any dust problems, but naturally I did wipe the lenses very often.

For what it's worth, last year Pushkar fair's attendance was lower than expected, as the US Embassy in Delhi had issued a travel advisory against going to Pushkar. Security around the perimeter of the fair and in Pushkar itself was very tight, and happily there were no incidents at all that I know of.

http://home.att.net/~t.elsawy/TharCover.html

Enjoy the experience.

Ted

Karl Grobl is my friend too!

I am also going to be in Pushkar in November and have a LOT of info about it...At the moment I'm away from home, in Santa Fe taking a Santa Fe Photo Workshop so will have to wait till next week to write more.

In the meantime:

Check out the article on www.jasonelias.com about visiting Pushkar Fair as part of a workshop with Steve McCurry.

Boy it's a small world. Although I haven't met Karl, we have corresponded by e-mail and he is also a friend of a friend of mine(Jim Cline) who also lives in San Diego. I met Jim in Oaxaca, Mexico last November. Do you guys know Jim too?

Cathy, don't tell me; you're in Nevada's class right? I took her workshop in June 2001 and Jim Cline has taken it as well. It was such a blast.

Maybe I'll see you in India this fall!

Steve Taylor (original poster)

Amazingly small world. I love it!!!

Saw both Karl and Jim Cline last night at the photography opening for the San Diego County Fair, where we all exhibit. I told Karl about this posting and he couldn't believe it... wants to check it out. Just getting home...so will write more about Pushkar and Santa Fe ASAP and yes, let's all try to meet there.

Cathy�

It's quite possible I'll meet you long before November. Jim said you might come to a photo club meeting one day soon. If so, we can talk Pushkar.Karl will be there too. Otherwise feel free to contact me directly. FYI we have a photo club "location shoot" scheduled for Nov.2nd 5pm at the Pushkar camel races! :) (for anyone who may happen to be there) This will be my 9th trip to India, first to Rajasthan. The most important info I've been given is to get there early. The "official dates" are Nov 5-8. I'll be there on the 2nd which is possibly somewhat late. Rough Guide says get there a week before the final weekend. Look in the travel guides and on fodors.com for more info...I posted on a Pushkar thread there a couple of weeks ago. What else do you want to know?

I would have loved to have taken Nevada's workshop last week but took The Photographer's Eye with John Weiss, also very good. It was a compromise I made with a friend who I stayed with. She saved me a ton of money in the car and accomodation department so it was a good move. Next workshop will be with Nevada. I got an e-mail from her today. Anything you care to share about her workshop? Take care, Cathy

• 2 months later...

Bikaneer, approx 6hours north of Pushkar has a camel fair also, and its not as publicised as the Pushkar one - Its also another place to do a camel safari, where you wont encounter droves upon droves of tourists in 4WDS and on camels. Bikaneer is also near the Karni Mata, or rat temple... where thousands or rats are believed to be the souls of Karni Matas devotees - its one of Rajisthans more important temples, but not for the faint-hearted! Bikaneer itself is a pretty big industrial sprawl, but that shouldnt put you off, as the old-town is interesting, theres a wonderful Palace and if you are interested in purchasing some minature paintings save your time and money and pop in and see Raju Swarmi - an indian minature painter whos work is famous throughout india - mention his name to any minature painting merchant in Rajisthan and they will leave you alone/suddenly prices will half!!

I havent had the fortune to witness a camel safari, but there seem to be hundreds of camels at pushkar all the time, along with the dust, harsh midday light and other things associated with being in the desert. There are a few short walks outside of Pushkar up the mountains, which provide an escape, and a great vantage for sunset/telephoto shots.

My best advice to anyone going to India is:

Get up early!! - this makes sense photographically as the light is better, but culturally, India is serene and peaceful yet alive at sunrise, people start the day with their morning rituals, prayer, worship, collect water, wash the kids, sweep/wash the street/decorate the steet/house, talk to the neighbours, pop down the local chai shop for a chinwag and a brew.... all before the hedonistic traffic begins soon after sunrise!

Chai stalls are a great way to sit back and watch the world go by, and meet people.

Learn what Cricket is about! I talked my way out of trouble a few times over a game of Cricket.

India is a vast country photographically speaking and you will need to re-asess your approach, you will benifit by understanding where you are, what is permitted, when to be confident, when to be respectful. Read about it, observe. - You are bound to shoot a few rolls of film within a few hours when you arrive.

Other Highlights for me in India, photographically are:

Varanasi,

Haridwar,

Armitsar,

Ajmer,

Hyderabad,

Agra - dont fky from Delhi - its not dangerous here!!

Fatepur Sikri,

Kolcutta,

Hampi,

Manali,

Kalimpong,

Sikkim,

Any railway station.

The list could go on.

• 7 months later...